• Dec 11th, 2017 9:54 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19091 posts
837 upvotes
torontotim wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 5:43 pm
The idea of buying a brand new 'flagship' phone today is silly. Kind of like going out and buying a brand new MacBook or car off the showroom floor.

My $550 all-in still under warranty Kijiji 128GB iPhone 7 is just fine and silly cheap compared to a $930 + tax iPhone 8 64GB for example.
My $1500 all-in Kijiji Macbook 15" retina mid 2014 model works just as well as a new $3200+tax model (and has just about identical specs)
My 2015 GMC truck is hardly any different than a 2018 model, yet I paid $10,000's less for it with only 35K KM on the clock.

Mobile phones and computers these days are no different than cars - tiny incremental improvements from one year or generation to the next with rarely any reason to drop the big bucks on the newest model.

Wait 8 months and pay someone $300 for their OnePlus 5T. Let them take the depreciation hit.
Yep. I recently paid $350 for a mint condition Google Pixel 32gb original in white. Basically half the price of the OP5T for what was a flagship phone up until only a few months ago. Might be time to sell my iPhone 6s 128gb soon and get money for it while I still can.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8483 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
My threshold is around 700 for a new flagship, so I don't mind buying the OP5T outright. It also seems future proof with the specs, only thing that sucks is the camera. Here's hoping that Google HDR+ camera development for the phone by developers isn't hardware limited.

But yes the principle is correct - I wouldn't buy any cell phone higher than this new, as in a year it would have dropped in price dramatically.
Jul 10, 2013
502 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
unnamed.jpg
that savings tho...needs to be posted in Hot Deals forum.
Oct 1, 2006
58 posts
Toronto
Curious if anyone who has received theres would share some thoughts how its performed so far.

I'm in need of a new phone, but can't pull the trigger yet, I have never purchased a one plus product before so I'm hesitant to do so. (camera has me worried, sample shots I have seen so far are hit and miss, seems to be major gripes with the auto HDR over processing photos and making them a mess with noise and detail loss, although supposedly there are camera updates coming as soon as december)

Also I noticed everyone says the phone is shipped by DHL, are there any duty charges involved I know DHL is bad for that.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10095 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Interesting clip... Inside OnePlus 5T factory in china and Tencent (wechat) offices in china.

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10832 posts
3533 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mattw3155 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:34 am
Curious if anyone who has received theres would share some thoughts how its performed so far.
I've had the OP5 since it was launched in June. It has the same CPU/GPU and same RAM so the performance should be identical. It's by far the fastest, most responsive phone I've used. In part that's because the OS is almost stock Android and doesn't come with all the bloatware that slows other phones [hello Samsung] down so much. I have absolutely no regrets about it. (Indeed I prefer the fingerprint reader on the front, so I would actually buy an OP5 over an OP5T if I had it to do over.)
I'm in need of a new phone, but can't pull the trigger yet, I have never purchased a one plus product before so I'm hesitant to do so. (camera has me worried, sample shots I have seen so far are hit and miss, seems to be major gripes with the auto HDR over processing photos and making them a mess with noise and detail loss, although supposedly there are camera updates coming as soon as december)
No camera is perfect. Some excel in some areas at the expense of others. Make sure that the compromises that OP made aren't fundamental to you.

All phone reviews find flaws or areas that could be improved. So no matter what phone you buy it will be a tradeoff. If the OP5T is "good enough" for your needs then it's a tremendous bargain compared to other flagships.
Also I noticed everyone says the phone is shipped by DHL, are there any duty charges involved I know DHL is bad for that.
Duty and taxes are built into the price. There will be no related surprises at the door.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 1, 2006
58 posts
Toronto
Thank you Bylo.
I think I will take the plunge, everything looks perfect besides the camera but I think it shall do the job and with upcoming software fixes I'm hoping they correct some of the minor problems.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10832 posts
3533 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mattw3155 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 2:03 pm
upcoming software fixes I'm hoping they correct some of the minor problems.
I forgot to mention that since the OP5 was launched there have been several OS updates to deal with minor issues, not just with the camera but also other features. OP got a lot of flack in the past over abandoning users too quickly. So far it seems they've been listening, learning and improving.

Enjoy your OP5T!
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1594 posts
124 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Does DHL require a signature? I really hope they do. I ordered mine a bit later to have the expected shipping date for Dec 4th. I'm certain it will come way before then. Funny thing is my phone is in transit in LA and I'm in LA for vacation right now.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10832 posts
3533 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
dnyc wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:13 am
Does DHL require a signature?
It's been several months now but I'm 99.9% sure the answer is yes.
I ordered mine a bit later to have the expected shipping date for Dec 4th. I'm certain it will come way before then.
Check DHL's website. Some shippers let you modify a shipment to have it held at a retail outlet, left with a neighbour, etc. Failing that, call them. I'd imagine they'd rather hold/delay the item than have to make multiple delivery attempts.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 11, 2003
637 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
I ordered mine on Saturday or Sunday and it shipped yesterday, tracking says it will arrive today.

It's for my dad, I hope he's surprised!
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2003
4697 posts
183 upvotes
man, anyone wanting the red version? I was going to pull the trigger on the 128gb version ... then they say the red variant is only available in China ... don't care for the star wars one.

I'm willing to wait ... hope oneplus figures it out and allows international sales.
He .... looka lika MAN!

I tell you every ting!

----------------------------------------------------

If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10832 posts
3533 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
miss_swan wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:57 pm
man, anyone wanting the red version?
No.

But if you do, order a black one now and add a thin hard case like Oneplus 5T Case Cover MOFI for $7.

The back of the phone is very slippery (at least on my OP5) so you need a case to get a better grip in any case. My MOFi case has prevented many drops. It's also very thin so you barely notice it's there.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16727 posts
1795 upvotes
Montreal
bylo wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:46 am
No.

But if you do, order a black one now and add a thin hard case like Oneplus 5T Case Cover MOFI for $7.

The back of the phone is very slippery (at least on my OP5) so you need a case to get a better grip in any case. My MOFi case has prevented many drops. It's also very thin so you barely notice it's there.
Doesn't it come with some kind of case?