Cell Phones

OnePlus 6T Announcement - release date Nov 1

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2019 9:27 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
TM2Megatron wrote: So far I'm really loving the in-screen fingerprint reader... I don't think I'll be able to consider a phone in the future that doesn't have one. The phone itself seems super speedy, the UI is very fluid and really makes me realize how much my Nexus 6P has been lagging the last year or so.

Really glad I waited for this rather than settling on the Pixel 3 XL. The Pixels have a fantastic camera, no doubt, but in virtually every other way I think Google should have gone more in the direction OnePlus is favoring rather than the design and pricing imperatives they actually seem to be following.
I'm definitely considering ordering (currently on oneplus one), would have been a slam dunk if it had witless charging.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Is Pixel 3's camera quality that good over the 6t that it's worth spending the difference.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1338 posts
376 upvotes
Mississauga
bembol wrote: Is Pixel 3's camera quality that good over the 6t that it's worth spending the difference.
Maybe for someone that uses their phone as a (nearly) dedicated camera, and shoots in a huge variety of lighting situations. And those who absolutely have to have the best photo quality from a camera.

But it's actually impressive how well the OnePlus 6t keeps up with the more expensive phones in terms of photo quality, considering that you're saving hundreds of dollars. Here's a video uploaded a day or so after the 6t keynote comparing the camera to 3 other competing phones, and in general it does quite well.

Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
blexann wrote: I'm definitely considering ordering (currently on oneplus one), would have been a slam dunk if it had witless charging.
Wireless charging is slow. The fact that this phone can get almost a full day charge in 15 minutes, outweighs the con if not having wireless charging
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1338 posts
376 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah, for me wireless charging isn't a deal breaker. When I used a Nexus 6, I never owned a wireless charger nor had any occasion to use it anywhere else. My Nexus 6P didn't have it, but I didn't miss it. It might be a different story if wireless chargers were all over the place in public areas, built into things you might rest your phone on (restaurant tables, desks, armrests on public transit vehicles, etc), but as things are I really don't see the point in it.

The headphone jack is the other feature that some people seem willing to die on the hill for. Personally, this one's no big deal for me as I've never really been inclined to use my phone as a music player. As someone who still buys CDs rather than lossy downloads or streaming, I rip my own digital versions and prefer keeping my entire collection on a dedicated MP4 player (one of Sony's Hi-Res audio walkmans).
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Two years ago Wireless Charging was slow but it caught up.

I love the convenience of it.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
To me, a deal breaker is lack of an always on display. I find it so handy just to look at the AOD on my phone when its sitting next to me without me having to touch the phone
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
72 upvotes
Hola
IF you are ok with custom ROMs, I would predict that because OnePlus has been good towards the development community that you could get a custom ROM that supported AOD. Others with more knowledge can chime in, BUT bottom line is that I agree with you that AOD with notification LED is an important factor many of us. I understand that there is no notification LED as well, very sad.

OnePlus is doing great stuff indeed considering the price points for other flagship level devices from other OEMs. I also like how OnePlus is sticking to the flat front panel and not curved edges like the Galaxy S and Mate 20 Pro lines. However, dual speakers, wireless charging, and AOD are too important for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4175 posts
1483 upvotes
Calgary
Curious if the gcam ported to 6T will be as good as Pixel. I am curious about night sight feature only though
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
najibs wrote: To me, a deal breaker is lack of an always on display. I find it so handy just to look at the AOD on my phone when its sitting next to me without me having to touch the phone
I actually had to double check that it didn't have AOD. That does indeed suck (as does lack of a notification LED). :(
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
TM2Megatron wrote: So far I'm really loving the in-screen fingerprint reader... I don't think I'll be able to consider a phone in the future that doesn't have one. The phone itself seems super speedy, the UI is very fluid and really makes me realize how much my Nexus 6P has been lagging the last year or so.
What do you like about the in-screen fingerprint reader?

I can't see myself liking it better than having a dedicated reader on the back. You have to activate the screen to be able to use it. It's a bit slower. You have to find the right spot to place your thumb. I hate screen smudges so I would probably find myself constantly wiping that one spot on the screen all the time.

It does have its advantages being on the front though.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
najibs wrote: Wireless charging is slow. The fact that this phone can get almost a full day charge in 15 minutes, outweighs the con if not having wireless charging
It's just too convenient. Not a deal breaker though considering what google wants for the pixel 3.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1338 posts
376 upvotes
Mississauga
Dave98 wrote: What do you like about the in-screen fingerprint reader?

I can't see myself liking it better than having a dedicated reader on the back. You have to activate the screen to be able to use it. It's a bit slower. You have to find the right spot to place your thumb. I hate screen smudges so I would probably find myself constantly wiping that one spot on the screen all the time.

It does have its advantages being on the front though.
In many situations I find myself using the phone while it's laying flat on a desk; and in those situations with my Nexus 6P (or any other phone with a rear sensor) I'd need to lift the phone up to activate it. With the 6t, that's no longer necessary. True, the screen needs to be turned on (not all the way though; just the ambient display is enough), but all that requires is a single tap to wake it up. And the guiding graphic is there so you know exactly where to place your thumb (or finger). As far as the speed goes, it might be a half second or so slower than my 6P, but it's still very fast 99% of the time.

With the rear sensor, I'd usually set up the index and middle fingers of both hands, so that whichever hand I used to pick up the phone I could quickly unlock it. With the front sensor, I've found the better arrangement is both thumbs as well as the index and middle fingers of my right hand. That way, I can unlock it with my left thumb as I'm picking it up, or any of the fingers on my right hand that I typically use to control the phone.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
While I love Apple's FaceID they do need a in-display FPS. Why can't we have best of both worlds.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15771 posts
11167 upvotes
I was hoping to get it today, as my wife is off and could receive it. Looks like tomorrow it is. I just hate when something that expensive sits on the door step until someone gets home to bring it in.
Jan 5, 2014
46 posts
50 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hi there. I'm currently using the nexus 6p. How does the 6T camera compare to the 6p's? I think 6p shoots pretty decent pictures (with the google cam app), but it's just a little slow now. As long as the 6T pictures are a step up form 6p, I'm good with it.
TM2Megatron wrote: Maybe for someone that uses their phone as a (nearly) dedicated camera, and shoots in a huge variety of lighting situations. And those who absolutely have to have the best photo quality from a camera.

But it's actually impressive how well the OnePlus 6t keeps up with the more expensive phones in terms of photo quality, considering that you're saving hundreds of dollars. Here's a video uploaded a day or so after the 6t keynote comparing the camera to 3 other competing phones, and in general it does quite well.

Aug 24, 2013
105 posts
47 upvotes
Ajax
Anyone know when the best time to buy is? Cant find any coupon codes currently :(
Oct 21, 2009
921 posts
850 upvotes
Hellzone wrote: Anyone know when the best time to buy is? Cant find any coupon codes currently :(
People who bought phones, like myself, have referral links that give people $30 off accessories when a phone is purchased.
Oct 21, 2009
921 posts
850 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: I have some tempered glass protectors on order too. Price wasn't so will update after I try them what I think. Although, I may not use them right away, I recall that OnePlus shipped their devices in the past with a film protector installed. If that is still the case, it will do for a while.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07JG8 ... UTF8&psc=1
The 6T also ships with a plastic screen protector on it. Not sure if any of the tempered ones work well enough for the fingerprint sensor yet
Aug 24, 2013
105 posts
47 upvotes
Ajax
meemo wrote: People who bought phones, like myself, have referral links that give people $30 off accessories when a phone is purchased.
Do you know where I can get a referral link? Or would it be better just to wait for Christmas

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)