• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 8:45 am
Jul 31, 2004
212 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
Devhux wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 4:08 am
Easy to lose the adapter, and it doesn't help if you're in a car with only an AUX cable and need to charge your phone at the same time.

(The only two cases I see this being an issue - since I don't drive and I have Bluetooth headphones, it personally doesn't affect me at all.
ok, I guess that could be a problem if your car doesn't have bluetooth and you're playing music from your phone through and AUX connection. I've got BT in the car and I either stream from an app or play FLAC through BT while it's plugged in to charge for Google Maps.. I guess you can't win them all.
Jul 31, 2004
212 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
meemo wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 8:54 pm
1. I'm sure it's compatible with all major cell providers. They have a compatibility list on the OnePlus site.

2. Comes with a black/clear silicone case with a plastic screen protector pre-installed.

3. It is worth it if you want the dash charge function. It does charge the phone really fast - one of the best in the industry

4. Haven't noticed a black sale before but since it's new I highly doubt it would go on sale
From my experience with the OP5, I only had the one Dash adapter that came with the phone and bought a few of the red dash USB-C cables .. I kept one in the car, one in the office and a spare at home. The dash plug is nice but the standard power adapters were sufficient for the odd time I needed to charge so I didn't spend the $25 or whatever it costs for an additional dash specific adapter. I also use the anker 3 port USB 12v for the car and found that to be sufficient for charging in the car. 1 USB for my dashcam, one for my phone, and one for the wife's lightning cable. If apple standardizes their products to use USBC that'll make it a lot better for everyone.
Oct 21, 2009
466 posts
271 upvotes
Brampton
insomnia77 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:17 am
If anybody an share a referral link it would be greatly appreciated!
Pmd
Jul 31, 2004
212 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
Also for those looking for dash cables.. you can find them on bang.good for around $7 I bought my three cables from there about 2 years ago and they work perfectly fine for dash.. They are listed as original and arrived packaged like the original in case anyone was wondering.

The adapter is also $19 there if you're so inclined to buy another spare adapter.. I didn't buy one so if someone buys one please report back. It's cheaper than buying from oneplus, or amazon and there's no minimum shipping. Only thing I recall was it took like 2-3 weeks I think like most items ordered from China.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15053 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
bembol wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:16 am
I don't know who's asking for phones to get thinner that they need to eliminate the headphone Jack.

Like I said this is business move or they're simply running out of ideas.
Marketing departments are asking for phones to get thinner. That's who. Because they need a new gimmick every year in order to sell more phones. "Same as last year, just a bit faster with better battery life" isn't sexy enough when your CEO is up on stage announcing the latest amazing thing, sadly. Personally, I don't care either way about the headphone jack since I gave up on wired headphones years ago, but I'd just love to see phones getting thicker again in order to fit a bigger battery. Give me an extra 2-3mm and 50% extra battery life any day.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17139 posts
1458 upvotes
Woodbridge
I know it's marketing. I forgot to add a smiley. It was a rhetorical remark.

That's the point these companies are out of ideas, hence the foldable phones that they are willing to sacrifice battery life and functionality.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6034 posts
1014 upvotes
I am sorta ashamed of myself.

I have had this phone since Tuesday and still haven't opened the box.....
Feb 22, 2008
108 posts
7 upvotes
bringit wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:28 am
From my experience with the OP5, I only had the one Dash adapter that came with the phone and bought a few of the red dash USB-C cables .. I kept one in the car, one in the office and a spare at home. The dash plug is nice but the standard power adapters were sufficient for the odd time I needed to charge so I didn't spend the $25 or whatever it costs for an additional dash specific adapter. I also use the anker 3 port USB 12v for the car and found that to be sufficient for charging in the car. 1 USB for my dashcam, one for my phone, and one for the wife's lightning cable. If apple standardizes their products to use USBC that'll make it a lot better for everyone.
Thanks for the info Meemo & Bringit!
May 26, 2007
563 posts
106 upvotes
insomnia77 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:17 am
If anybody an share a referral link it would be greatly appreciated!
Got one ....thanks guys
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4429 posts
264 upvotes
How is screen quality on these things? I remember the first OnePlus phone having that horrible yellow tint and I never went back since...
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15053 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
Lovable wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 1:41 am
How is screen quality on these things? I remember the first OnePlus phone having that horrible yellow tint and I never went back since...
The yellow tint issue wasn't even a problem with all batches of the original OP1. They've grown a bit in the 4.5 years since then. You can even get in-Canada warranty service now.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Oct 21, 2009
466 posts
271 upvotes
Brampton
Lovable wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 1:41 am
Pretty good. The display type is different...

One: LTPS IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
6T: Optic AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Aug 18, 2018
452 posts
251 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
wearysky wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 11:52 am
Marketing departments are asking for phones to get thinner. That's who. Because they need a new gimmick every year in order to sell more phones. "Same as last year, just a bit faster with better battery life" isn't sexy enough when your CEO is up on stage announcing the latest amazing thing, sadly. Personally, I don't care either way about the headphone jack since I gave up on wired headphones years ago, but I'd just love to see phones getting thicker again in order to fit a bigger battery. Give me an extra 2-3mm and 50% extra battery life any day.
+1000

Add 2mm thickness and cram a 5000 mAh battery in a flagship phone. Yes please.
GV/Hangouts + T-Mobile $10/2GB Simple Choice = Win
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6034 posts
1014 upvotes
Just setting mine up now. Love it so far.

What's the consensus on the screen protection that came on it? Are we happy with it? Or are people just pulling it off for a glass protector?

I have always used glass, and find the film feels too grippy so far but I am sure I would get used to it.
Oct 21, 2009
466 posts
271 upvotes
Brampton
Gutty96 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 8:21 am
Just setting mine up now. Love it so far.

What's the consensus on the screen protection that came on it? Are we happy with it? Or are people just pulling it off for a glass protector?

I have always used glass, and find the film feels too grippy so far but I am sure I would get used to it.
Have the phone's original protector on now for a few days now. It is ok, but I would rather get glass too. Haven't found any good ones on Amazon yet.

Did anyone try any glass one and recommend it?