Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
OnePlus

OnePlus 6 8gb model $130 off again !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2019 12:51 pm
Jan 9, 2017
122 posts
144 upvotes
alkaint wrote: Do you mind showing the steps on an xda thread? Thanks in advance!
1. Update stock firmware OTA normally, just check in settings under about or around that area of settings to see if there is an update. I believe 9.0.2 was the newest.

2. This looks a good guide for rooting and install magisk https://oneplus.gadgethacks.com/how-to/ ... e-0185541/ I just suggest you install this version of TWRP https://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/ ... /?id=30485 over the one linked in the guide (seems to be tweaked for the OP6).

3. Flash this via TWRP (your recovery) https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplu ... d-t3799167 you can adjust what tweaks you want and the flash options, just read through the first and second posts to see how.

4. Buy and install franco kernel manager from playstore (worth it). Use the app to flash franco kernel for you. Go through the battery life labs section of the app to tweak your phone for more battery. I suggest underclocking your cpu to 50% or 25% (Im using 50%, I tried 75% which was also very good but this is where you to start to notice a little loss in performance), enabling the gpu underclock (unless you play heavy games), and enabling the power saving profile. There will be literally no noticable performance hits, hiccups or lag with these settings unless you play heavy 3D games. If you dont want to spend money you can flash the kernel from zip https://kernels.franco-lnx.net/OnePlus6/9/anyKernel/ then download some sort of free kernel manager and do the tweaks on your own through that app.

I did this all on day 2 or 3 of having the phone. Haven't had to do anything since. Just had one kernel update since, which the franco kernel manager installed for me easily enough.
Nov 28, 2018
49 posts
36 upvotes
I highly recommend getting the 6T instead.
While the performance is similar, you are getting a whole better experience of a phone that will compete with the best in terms of looks and features.
Nov 24, 2012
507 posts
376 upvotes
Saint-Laurent
Hard to beat quality/price of this phone...even at retail pricing.
Apr 4, 2017
258 posts
379 upvotes
Internet
Is OnePlus 6 good alternative to Huawei p20 pro if I don't care about camera and price?
Jan 9, 2017
122 posts
144 upvotes
And3re wrote: I highly recommend getting the 6T instead.
While the performance is similar, you are getting a whole better experience of a phone that will compete with the best in terms of looks and features.
I like the screen and battery more in the 6T, but like the fingerprint reader, headphone jack and price of the 6 more.. would have cost me almost twice as much for the T version.
dea1er wrote: Is OnePlus 6 good alternative to Huawei p20 pro if I don't care about camera and price?
Very good alternative. While I think the P20 has better hardware all around I like the software and UX of the Oneplus 6/6T more.
Dec 14, 2006
871 posts
377 upvotes
That's what I was deciding between. Went with the OP 6 256
128 would have been fine, but I didn't want the mirror black (OOS now anyways).
dea1er wrote: Is OnePlus 6 good alternative to Huawei p20 pro if I don't care about camera and price?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
3108 posts
3603 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
lemon07r wrote: I like the screen and battery more in the 6T, but like the fingerprint reader, headphone jack and price of the 6 more.. would have cost me almost twice as much for the T version.

Very good alternative. While I think the P20 has better hardware all around I like the software and UX of the Oneplus 6/6T more.
Is it even safe to get a Huawei p20 now? With the arrest of Huawei CFO and now China making threats to Canadians if they don't release her back to them.. I was looking to get a mate 20 pro or the one plus 6t, but after this stuff, I dunno if I should go huawei
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1192 posts
936 upvotes
Victoria, BC
junglemage666 wrote: Is it even safe to get a Huawei p20 now? With the arrest of Huawei CFO and now China making threats to Canadians if they don't release her back to them.. I was looking to get a mate 20 pro or the one plus 6t, but after this stuff, I dunno if I should go huawei

Sigh.

So much misinformation and paranoia around Huawei, Chinese phones and spying out there.

Ok, OnePlus is a Chinese brand too. So if the choice is between Huawei and OnePlus, well they're both Chinese companies.

Second, if you are using a phone on Bell/Telus (and their flanker brands) or Freedom Mobile network, you are connecting onto Huawei equipment as they built most of those networks. Even some Rogers is probably Huawei equipment.

Third, there's the same amount of actual evidence of "Huawei spying" as there was in 2004 that Saddam was stockpiling chemical weapons in Iraq. There's no actual evidence but "we all know"...

There's lots of issues around this and not saying Huawei is an innocent company. But I don't want to derail this thread. Anyway, like I said, both OnePlus and Huawei are Chinese companies.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2018
1119 posts
735 upvotes
Toronto
With this sale still going, is anyone actually considering the limited edition mclaren edition? The price is pretty steep with almost reaching $1k mark with just a super super charge and 10gb of ram ;s
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
ElementalWarrior wrote: Many people prefer the 6 as it has a headphone jack
Ya i imagine most people looking at a phone like the oneplus would want a headphone jack before many other features.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
1_blue_pixel wrote: Sigh.

So much misinformation and paranoia around Huawei, Chinese phones and spying out there.

Ok, OnePlus is a Chinese brand too. So if the choice is between Huawei and OnePlus, well they're both Chinese companies.

Second, if you are using a phone on Bell/Telus (and their flanker brands) or Freedom Mobile network, you are connecting onto Huawei equipment as they built most of those networks. Even some Rogers is probably Huawei equipment.

Third, there's the same amount of actual evidence of "Huawei spying" as there was in 2004 that Saddam was stockpiling chemical weapons in Iraq. There's no actual evidence but "we all know"...

There's lots of issues around this and not saying Huawei is an innocent company. But I don't want to derail this thread. Anyway, like I said, both OnePlus and Huawei are Chinese companies.
They arrested the CFO because they suspect they sold to Iran, I dont get why the USA gets to decide who can trade with who. Europe is already working to get trade going again to Iran as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1192 posts
936 upvotes
Victoria, BC
95thRiflesOCI wrote: With this sale still going, is anyone actually considering the limited edition mclaren edition? The price is pretty steep with almost reaching $1k mark with just a super super charge and 10gb of ram ;s
Well it does also come with a Karbon bumper case, if it's the same kind as they're selling on the site, that's $39.99. so if you want that case (I have it for my 5T, I really like it) then having all that for $90.00 more than the basic 6T is not that much of a price gouge really.

But considering the 6 is on sale for $130 less, that makes it $220 less than the McLaren brand 6T.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5707 posts
2276 upvotes
1_blue_pixel wrote: Well it does also come with a Karbon bumper case, if it's the same kind as they're selling on the site, that's $39.99. so if you want that case (I have it for my 5T, I really like it) then having all that for $90.00 more than the basic 6T is not that much of a price gouge really.

But considering the 6 is on sale for $130 less, that makes it $220 less than the McLaren brand 6T.
Comes with Karbon Bumper + 10GB RAM + McLaren Limited Edition + Warp Charge 30W for $90 CAD Premium over the 8GB 256GB.

Considering what Apple charges, this is chump change...a 256GB iPhone XS is $1589 + Tax.

Obviously not my cup of tea but I'll patiently wait for these specs to be incorporated into the OP7. Here's to hoping for an official water-resistance rating and stereo speakers.
Journie: Use my promo code JR-ColinTOUM during registration, and you’ll automatically save 2¢/ L on your next fill-up. (Full disclosure: Once you do, I get a discount, too!)
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
KevinC268 wrote: They arrested the CFO because they suspect they sold to Iran, I dont get why the USA gets to decide who can trade with who. Europe is already working to get trade going again to Iran as well.
There's more than one reason. Consider this: HSBC, who reported the transaction to the US government, was one of the first entities indicted for laundering money for Iran. My guess is HSBC got caught doing this again, and threw Huawei under the bus in exchange for clemency.

The person who the CFO was on the way to meet in Argentina was a quantum physicist. The day that CFO was arrested, the person committed suicide by leaping off a building. There's a rumour going around that the quantum physicist made a breakthrough for Huawei, and was killed off because of it.

Chain of events summarized here: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat- ... 49887.html
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Torque wrote: That's what I was deciding between. Went with the OP 6 256
128 would have been fine, but I didn't want the mirror black (OOS now anyways).
What's wrong with the mirror black?

Just ordered it 8gb/128gb +5% student discount for 609$.
Apr 7, 2013
70 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry I'm a noob.

But this version on sale does not have a headphone jack??
Dec 14, 2006
871 posts
377 upvotes
Just personal preference. Nothing wrong with it.
mr_raider wrote: What's wrong with the mirror black?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1192 posts
936 upvotes
Victoria, BC
xlim1017 wrote: Sorry I'm a noob.

But this version on sale does not have a headphone jack??
OnePlus 6 has a headphone jack. It's currently on sale for $130 off.

OnePlus 6T is the newest model. It doesn't have a headphone jack.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)