Personal Finance

Online banking fraud victim - help needed!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 2:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1461 posts
44 upvotes
York Region

Online banking fraud victim - help needed!

So last Thursday someone reset our online banking password and etransfered $2,000 from checking acct and $1000 from savings acct. Entrasnfer was sent to one of my payees (its myself and that's how we pay for heloc with another bank).
One transfer was accepted, another was not. Bank fraud department managed to detect fraud and froze transactions.
Only checking acct and 1 saving account was linked to Debit card.
Bank confirmed that debit card was compromised. They issued a new one.

Hubby wiped all laptops, installed Kaspersky programs on all last Friday.
Today we changed all the banking accounts,same bank.
Waiting for police to call mw back so i can file report.

We have 6 savings accounts. One had large sum. How come thieves didn't transfer more money from this acct and only touched other accounts??????????
Alerts were disabled. Profile email was changed.

What else am i to change? What to do?????
Should i change all the utilities accounts too?

My heart is pounding as i type. Hubby doesn't think its serious, where i am FREAKING OUT!
I don't feel safe in my own house anymore! (we have a toddler too).
65 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4518 posts
494 upvotes
Financial institutions need to add another layer of security on top of the login process. Two factor authentication (2FA) would have helped in your situation, sorry that happened to you.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1461 posts
44 upvotes
York Region
blexann wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:48 pm
Financial institutions need to add another layer of security on top of the login process. Two factor authentication (2FA) would have helped in your situation, sorry that happened to you.
Thank you!
I thought of that too... But banks don't have it, do they?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
Sorry to hear that OP, which bank is it?

Any clues as to how they got your PW? Was it easily guessable or written somewhere?
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1461 posts
44 upvotes
York Region
springdays wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:09 pm
Sorry to hear that OP, which bank is it?

Any clues as to how they got your PW? Was it easily guessable or written somewhere?
BMO
My password was never written. Not easily guessable...im lost tooooooo
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1461 posts
44 upvotes
York Region
Bank already returned the money back. Thanks to them!
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
I see. I am glad they did.

The question for me would be how they got in in the first place. Try not to log in on an unsecured network, or on a computer other than yours is what I can think of off the top of my head.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16974 posts
1858 upvotes
GTA West
If you wiped all the computers, that is a good step. It sounds like a keylogger was somewhere, and wiping the PCs and re-installing the operating systems is a reliable way to get rid of that stuff.
Did you access online banking from any other PC? Other internet cafes, computer labs, copy shops, etc., are notorious for having keyloggers.
Make sure you pick brand new passwords and not re-used passwords for your banking!

There is nothing else to do in order to recover from this one. If you want to be really paranoid, you could only access online banking through a Linux VM or similar, due to much fewer linux viruses, etc. But that is a very extreme step.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Aug 27, 2013
337 posts
141 upvotes
cloud
edkate wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:56 pm
Thank you!
I thought of that too... But banks don't have it, do they?
FYI HSBC offers 2FA with a physical code generator, which they'll eventually migrate to their smartphone app.

Good to hear you got your money back!
Aug 27, 2013
337 posts
141 upvotes
cloud
edkate wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:42 pm
Hubby wiped all laptops, installed Kaspersky programs on all last Friday.
You did hear that all the negative news regarding Kaspersky software lately, no?

Reuters Summit: Kaspersky acknowledges taking inactive files in pursuit of hackers
In September, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security banned Kaspersky software from use in federal offices, citing the company’s ties with Russian intelligence. The company is the subject of a long-running probe by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, sources have told Reuters.
Aug 27, 2013
337 posts
141 upvotes
cloud
edkate wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:14 pm
BMO
My password was never written. Not easily guessable...im lost tooooooo
You said someone had your password reset -- I haven't had a BMO bank account for a long time so I'm not familiar with their password-reset procedure -- if that involve BMO sending you a verification email, that means your email account may have been compromised. Reset those credentials and enable 2FA on that email account if you can.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15786 posts
4690 upvotes
Ottawa
cmchiu wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:51 am
You said someone had your password reset -- I haven't had a BMO bank account for a long time so I'm not familiar with their password-reset procedure -- if that involve BMO sending you a verification email, that means your email account may have been compromised. Reset those credentials and enable 2FA on that email account if you can.
If BMO online banking is similar to RBC, resetting the password does not require an email verification.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1461 posts
44 upvotes
York Region
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:01 am
If BMO online banking is similar to RBC, resetting the password does not require an email verification.
Correct
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1461 posts
44 upvotes
York Region
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:26 am
If you wiped all the computers, that is a good step. It sounds like a keylogger was somewhere, and wiping the PCs and re-installing the operating systems is a reliable way to get rid of that stuff.
Did you access online banking from any other PC? Other internet cafes, computer labs, copy shops, etc., are notorious for having keyloggers.
Make sure you pick brand new passwords and not re-used passwords for your banking!

There is nothing else to do in order to recover from this one. If you want to be really paranoid, you could only access online banking through a Linux VM or similar, due to much fewer linux viruses, etc. But that is a very extreme step.
No other pcs! I'm aware of key loggers... Only used 2 computers. Never mobile banking!