Online delivery woes...Plz help!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2010 11:38 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 24, 2009
14 posts

Online delivery woes...Plz help!

Hi all, I have been waiting for way too long for my package to arrive. I am lost as to what are the next steps to take. Here's my story...

I bought a cellphone on ebay through a seller in Hong Kong end of October and I still haven't received it even today. Here's what canadapost said online regarding its status.

2009/10/23 19:16 MISSISSAUGA International item arrived in Canada and will be reviewed by Customs

I check frequently their website and this hasn't changed at all. Wtf does it take more more than 2 months to be reviewed by customs? Did it get returned HK?

So anyways I contacted the seller and explained the situation and I was told to wait for a few days and if nothing else I will be refunded (at this time I opened a paypal dispute). But then I decided instead of a refund to resend me the cellphone. This time it's sent through EMS.

Here's what the tracking history for the 2nd cellphone:
2009/12/11 23:31 International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada
2009/12/10 16:08 International item mailed in origin country

Wtf it's been 2 weeks and it's still en route to Canada? I thought international items are through air deliveries? I only am lost as to what the hell it's going on and it has been a rather frustrating experience for me.

Can someone explain to me what may be going on and what steps I can take? Call the customs? I called CP already and they are pretty useless. The seller also apparently have troubled with HK post office in requesting a dispute to formally track my packages.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
1259 posts
29 upvotes
Unless you specifically said/paid for air delivery, it will likely be sent via shipping. When I lived in HK the post office said it CAN take 2 months or more. Air delivery still can take 2-3 weeks. It's also the holidays. Relax.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
spookie149 wrote: Unless you specifically said/paid for air delivery, it will likely be sent via shipping. When I lived in HK the post office said it CAN take 2 months or more. Air delivery still can take 2-3 weeks. It's also the holidays. Relax.
I disagree. 2 months is wayyyyy too long. A package doesn't jsut sit in customs for 2 months. OP, have you even called Canada post so they can do a trace on this?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
1259 posts
29 upvotes
najibs wrote: I disagree. 2 months is wayyyyy too long. A package doesn't jsut sit in customs for 2 months. OP, have you even called Canada post so they can do a trace on this?

I was speaking to the second phone shipping. As for the first phone idling in customs I don't know much about the inspection process but that does sound like a long time.
Dec 24, 2009
14 posts
najibs wrote: I disagree. 2 months is wayyyyy too long. A package doesn't jsut sit in customs for 2 months. OP, have you even called Canada post so they can do a trace on this?
I have contacted CP and they told me to have the seller request a claim form from HK post office. Well the seller relied that HK PO is busy and never got back to them. CP is pretty useless now because they hide behind the wall that they can't do much when it's at the customs. If it were to be denied would it show up on the CP site? I donno what's going on having 2 packages lost somewhere...
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4170 posts
181 upvotes
North York
ALL postal shipments from outside of Canada/US are sent via air.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Dec 24, 2009
14 posts
Is there a way to contact the customs or it's the only option that I have to somehow get the seller to open the dispute to track the package? I think the seller is pretty reliable and not likely to scam me but should I now think otherwise?
Apr 4, 2008
513 posts
838 upvotes
For the second package sent via EMS I wouldn't worry yet. I used to have many items sent from China via EMS and around this time of season it takes a little longer, maybe 15-20 business days.

Also, have you tried tracking it on the EMS site? I always found the info there was much more up-to-date until it reaches Canada then switch to canadapost.ca
Dec 24, 2009
14 posts
sweetmikem wrote: For the second package sent via EMS I wouldn't worry yet. I used to have many items sent from China via EMS and around this time of season it takes a little longer, maybe 15-20 business days.

Also, have you tried tracking it on the EMS site? I always found the info there was much more up-to-date until it reaches Canada then switch to canadapost.ca

Timing Site Status
  2009-12-10 15:34:23 CHANGSHA Arrival at Sorting Center
  2009-12-10 16:06:39 CHANGSHA Despatch from Sorting Center
  2009-12-11 14:00:00 GUANGZHOU Arrival at Sorting Center
  2009-12-11 15:00:00 GUANGZHOU Handed over to Customs
  2009-12-11 23:01:00 GUANGZHOU Released from Customs
  2009-12-11 23:31:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center

That is the record for the 2nd phone from EMS website. It said dispatch from sorting center but what follows? Is it still in China awaiting to be flown over to Canada because it shouldn't take 2+ weeks to fly overseas. Is there a way to contact customs or do I just have to play the waiting game?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2153 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
JAGpilot wrote: ALL postal shipments from outside of Canada/US are sent via air.
Wong. Some services are sent by sea. For example CanadaPost
International Parcel - Surface.

To OP. Call CanadaPost and open a trace on the package.
Dec 24, 2009
14 posts
This is honestly ridiculous. I called CP today and they said like they've mentioned many times before that it's the sender who can open up a dispute and not the buyer. Needless to say calling them was a pain too.

I am pretty frustrated over this cellphone and I'm probably not going to buy anything overseas again. I am starting to doubt whether the sender send the cellphone at all because why would both items go undated on the website? Why would the sender seem to be reluctant to open up a dispute from their postal office? I'm starting to think I've been scammed and I'm pretty pissed off.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If the item is coming by air it is REALLY fast. There are planes daily bringing cargo from HK so there is no reason why this is taking so long.

I have ordered a few times from online vendors based in HK and I normally receive the package from 3-5 business days!

I'm afraid it's too late to make a paypal claim since it's been over 2 months, seems like you don't have much recourse but hope now...
Dec 24, 2009
14 posts
EP32k2 wrote: If the item is coming by air it is REALLY fast. There are planes daily bringing cargo from HK so there is no reason why this is taking so long.

I have ordered a few times from online vendors based in HK and I normally receive the package from 3-5 business days!

I'm afraid it's too late to make a paypal claim since it's been over 2 months, seems like you don't have much recourse but hope now...
I wanted to trust the seller because they had a very positive feedbacks from other buyers and they were very responsive to my ongoing problems about the delivery after my purchase.

I did open up a dispute in paypal but I let that go after I asked the seller to resend me the phone and I'll just denied the other phone. Now both phones are still somewhere if they are even mailed out at all which drives me angry.

ps. I don't think they are from HK but mainland China.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: If the item is coming by air it is REALLY fast. There are planes daily bringing cargo from HK so there is no reason why this is taking so long.

3 to 5 days?
what service where you using?

For me "SAL" which i think is like Asian airmail? takes 21 days from Yunnan to Ottawa :)

I was also told you can get land/ground shipping and the parcels go by boat first and it takes 2 months...
Dec 24, 2009
14 posts
Well the sender hasn't really answer my request for them to contact their postal office to open up a trace but instead to refund half of my money for the moment. I am wondering why it's easy for them to deliver two cellphones to me and refund half my money but unable to contact their postal office? Well unless I were to get the full refund in time I'm going to think twice ordering from China again.
Feb 19, 2007
198 posts
I'm having the same kind of problem too!

Look at this:

On the Canada Post website...

2009/12/16 22:43 International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada
2009/12/1622:18 International item processed in origin country
2009/12/11 03:31 International item mailed in origin country

On the USPS website...

Your item left the United States from ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 10:43 PM on December 16, 2009. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Brutal. I paid on the 6th and it didn't leave the states till the 16th. And who knows where it is now.
Dec 24, 2009
14 posts
hbao12 wrote: I'm having the same kind of problem too!

Look at this:

On the Canada Post website...

2009/12/16 22:43 International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada
2009/12/1622:18 International item processed in origin country
2009/12/11 03:31 International item mailed in origin country

On the USPS website...

Your item left the United States from ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 10:43 PM on December 16, 2009. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Brutal. I paid on the 6th and it didn't leave the states till the 16th. And who knows where it is now.
Have you tried contacting your seller? I think my item is or both are still in China from what I gather through reading on other people's response. Hopefully it's just the holiday delay.
Feb 19, 2007
198 posts
yeah i have tried to contact the seller but they haven't replied

that is why i opened a claim with paypal

i hope you can still file a dispute with paypal, otherwise it is going to be hard to get a refund from a seller in China
Dec 24, 2009
14 posts
hbao12 wrote: yeah i have tried to contact the seller but they haven't replied

that is why i opened a claim with paypal

i hope you can still file a dispute with paypal, otherwise it is going to be hard to get a refund from a seller in China
I have opened a dispute through paypal but I reached an agreement with the seller to send me another phone instead of refunding me payment. Today the seller refunded me through paypal half the amount after I told them the situation; I'm going to wait for a max one month before full refund.

Just remember to escalate your paypal dispute before 2 months if you still didn't get your item.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
angywl wrote: Hi all, I have been waiting for way too long for my package to arrive. I am lost as to what are the next steps to take. Here's my story...

I bought a cellphone on ebay through a seller in Hong Kong end of October and I still haven't received it even today. Here's what canadapost said online regarding its status.

2009/10/23 19:16 MISSISSAUGA International item arrived in Canada and will be reviewed by Customs
I am having the exact same problem. My family in Europe sent me a package and it's the same status for 2 weeks now, that it's reviewed by Customs.

How long do they need to review it. I mean common, if it's a problem, they should phone you, not leave the package root for 2 months

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)