• Dec 10th, 2009 11:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto

Online Digital Photo Printing

Has anyone compared the quality of the prints from online printers?

Trying to google search a review gives me nothing worthwhile, nor recent.

Also, what about the processing time from when you order till when you have your prints in hand?
15 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
No one prints?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
I have just used the Kodak service cause they ship free to futureshop or bestbuy for pickup.

I have also searched and found nothing. In general the expensive independent labs are suppose to be the best but they really cost a lot more. If you don't care to be 100% color accurate the photos I took turns out ok with kodak, just remember to turn off their color optimizer option and the crop option (you'll need to crop them to the correct ratio first in that case).
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3783 posts
971 upvotes
Vancouver
I seldom print and when I do it is 6x4 family shots which I upload and pickup the next day at.... Costco.

Never done anything artsy or large.

Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3172 posts
404 upvotes
Hamilton
i always print and it always from costco
Mar 2, 2005
999 posts
2 upvotes
at costco, when i do the online printing
it asks me to fill in contact info such as name and phone number.
the membership belongs to my father, what if the name and number doesn't match the membership, will that give me a hassle?
Flickr

Toronto lifestyle wedding photography
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
With no replies, I went with Kodak online printing and pick up at Future Shop. I ordered on Oct 7th, and it's still not here yet. It cost me $0.17 per print for 4x6s.

Apparently Future shop will call me when they get it. I received an email on Oct 8 saying it was shipped, and to expect it in 4-9 BUSINESS days... *sigh* so much for getting them quickly.

If I get them before the 20th of Oct, I'll be within their time frame.

Anyway, I need them rushed, so I went to Black's which says they can do it within a couple hours of receiving the order. They cost about $0.25 a print (pre-paid), but the quality of the photos were really good, and they didn't crop or colour my photos obscenely.

I'll post up the quality of the Kodak's when I get them.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7908 posts
942 upvotes
Xeros wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 10:59 am
With no replies, I went with Kodak online printing and pick up at Future Shop. I ordered on Oct 7th, and it's still not here yet. It cost me $0.17 per print for 4x6s.

Apparently Future shop will call me when they get it. I received an email on Oct 8 saying it was shipped, and to expect it in 4-9 BUSINESS days... *sigh* so much for getting them quickly.

If I get them before the 20th of Oct, I'll be within their time frame.

Anyway, I need them rushed, so I went to Black's which says they can do it within a couple hours of receiving the order. They cost about $0.25 a print (pre-paid), but the quality of the photos were really good, and they didn't crop or colour my photos obscenely.

I'll post up the quality of the Kodak's when I get them.
Sorry, there's a whole trend about the crappiness of Futureshop online printing... should've pointed you to that one sooner.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 11:01 am
Sorry, there's a whole trend about the crappiness of Futureshop online printing... should've pointed you to that one sooner.
Oh man... You get what you pay for!

I got my Kodak pictures back today from pick up at Future Shop. I ordered on Oct 7th, received today Oct 22nd (probably could have got them yesterday or Tuesday earliest). Basically a turn around time of 2 weeks.

Some points about the photo package. The pictures arrived in a envelope that was then put into a thick cardboard envelope so that the pictures are safe from bending and damage.

That's about the only good point about it the Kodak service I can state.

The pictures are complete, all of them got processed on a matte finish with white borders. They did not crop much to fit the photos on the 4x6. The colours weren't processed too badly, but it seems like they have been brightened a little more than I would have liked.

The white borders are terrible. First, the borders are really thick, nearly 3x thicker in some places than the Black's photos. This reduces the picture size even more. Second the borders aren't even at all for nearly ALL of the pictures. The pictures all seem to have 2-5 degree tilt on the prints. Meaning in one corner the white border is thin, while the other end the border is huge!

Also, the paper they print the photos on feel particularly thin and paper like, whereas the Black's print feel heavier. Essentially, if I hold the Kodak print on one edge and a Black's print on the same edge and hold them both out, the Kodak print will sag or bend much more than Black's. The Black's photo use heavier stock and seem much more durable.

Basically, to sum it up, I don't think I'll ever go back to using Kodak anymore. While cheap at $0.17/print, Kodak takes a long time to get your pictures processed, they don't do an exceptional job, and the quality is lower.

I would not recommend this online printer if you value quality.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1238 posts
17 upvotes
Hey guys, sort of wondering the same questions, a cheap, decent quality photo lab that will print 1200+ pictures.

As I recall Loblaws photolab offers free 2nd prints so my best bet would be to go with them? And all photolabs seem to be priced around the same (.17-.20)
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3681 posts
197 upvotes
Mississauga
Look for Blacks prepaid prints promotion. Once in a while, they will have X number of prints bonus if you buy X prepaid prints. That should bring down the price to $0.20 per print.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1238 posts
17 upvotes
twotterdhc6 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 1:36 pm
Look for Blacks prepaid prints promotion. Once in a while, they will have X number of prints bonus if you buy X prepaid prints. That should bring down the price to $0.20 per print.
Blacks are suppose to do top quality photo printing right?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3681 posts
197 upvotes
Mississauga
cuongp wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 6:45 pm
Blacks are suppose to do top quality photo printing right?
Anecdotal evidence: of the large national chains, Black's seem to be the most consistent quality wise; colours are never too saturated or bland.

There're probably many small pro shops that can do better than Black's though.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
Xeros wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2009 2:44 pm
Oh man... You get what you pay for!

I got my Kodak pictures back today from pick up at Future Shop. I ordered on Oct 7th, received today Oct 22nd (probably could have got them yesterday or Tuesday earliest). Basically a turn around time of 2 weeks.

Some points about the photo package. The pictures arrived in a envelope that was then put into a thick cardboard envelope so that the pictures are safe from bending and damage.

That's about the only good point about it the Kodak service I can state.

The pictures are complete, all of them got processed on a matte finish with white borders. They did not crop much to fit the photos on the 4x6. The colours weren't processed too badly, but it seems like they have been brightened a little more than I would have liked.

The white borders are terrible. First, the borders are really thick, nearly 3x thicker in some places than the Black's photos. This reduces the picture size even more. Second the borders aren't even at all for nearly ALL of the pictures. The pictures all seem to have 2-5 degree tilt on the prints. Meaning in one corner the white border is thin, while the other end the border is huge!

Also, the paper they print the photos on feel particularly thin and paper like, whereas the Black's print feel heavier. Essentially, if I hold the Kodak print on one edge and a Black's print on the same edge and hold them both out, the Kodak print will sag or bend much more than Black's. The Black's photo use heavier stock and seem much more durable.

Basically, to sum it up, I don't think I'll ever go back to using Kodak anymore. While cheap at $0.17/print, Kodak takes a long time to get your pictures processed, they don't do an exceptional job, and the quality is lower.

I would not recommend this online printer if you value quality.
Do believe that you can turn off their "color optimization" setting for Kodak. You can also crop your photos (as you should) before your send them in. If they are the same ratio as the print you can get them without the boarder area. You wouldn't want any software or 3rd party to do the cropping anyhow. It does take some time but you'd get better prints.