• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2016 9:54 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1186 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver

Online methods for keeping Aeroplan active

So I'm out of the country and won't be back for quite some time. I want to keep my Aeroplan account active, since otherwise the points expire in a few months - but I since I am not at home the well known suggestions of "buy gas at Esso", "buy a tub of icecream at X", etc, don't work for me.

I'm looking for something I can do online, with a minimum of fuss, and as cheaply as possible. Bonus points if it occurs soon (so I can relax and not have to check back in four weeks or whatever).
14 replies
Jan 19, 2006
581 posts
463 upvotes
BC
Do you have a friend in Canada that you could provide your Aeroplan membership number to?

Perhaps they will do you a small favor and they would buy their fuel at Esso paying the attendant (not pay at pump) and do a manual Aeroplan membership number entry. I do this on occasion for my kids Aeroplan so they too do not lose their accumulated points.

Worth a shot and good for a year!
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1766 posts
4500 upvotes
Pawtucket
I use the Carrot app.
https://www.carrotrewards.ca/en/

Setup your account and select Aeroplan as the points you want to earn. Answer some survey questions that take about a min. and earn 5-10 Aeroplan points per survey. You don't earn a ton of points but it is an easy way to keep your account active. The App will notify you when a new survey is available which is typically once a week or so. Points will show up on your Aeroplan account a few weeks after you take the survey.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1186 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
cloudsuck wrote: Do you have a friend in Canada that you could provide your Aeroplan membership number to?

Perhaps they will do you a small favor and they would buy their fuel at Esso paying the attendant (not pay at pump) and do a manual Aeroplan membership number entry. I do this on occasion for my kids Aeroplan so they too do not lose their accumulated points.

Worth a shot and good for a year!
Yeah, it's worth a shot and I'll do it if I don't find an easier way. It's a lot of hassle to ask people, check if they did it, vs some online transaction I can complete in 5 minutes...
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1186 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
redboy69 wrote: I use the Carrot app.
https://www.carrotrewards.ca/en/

Setup your account and select Aeroplan as the points you want to earn. Answer some survey questions that take about a min. and earn 5-10 Aeroplan points per survey. You don't earn a ton of points but it is an easy way to keep your account active. The App will notify you when a new survey is available which is typically once a week or so. Points will show up on your Aeroplan account a few weeks after you take the survey.
Thanks, I will try it! An additional complication is that my Android phone is tied to the US app store so it's a huge pain to get that app. Time to look again at APK download solutions.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
How long are you going away for? I can think of two things. If you have a costco membership, every dollar you spend online you can earn aeroplan points. A bit of a hassle though.

Second, if you have TD visa infinite (possibly some of the other aeroplan cards they have too) it says as long as you have it, and you're linked to the account, the points don't expire. Also every dollar you spend will help you accumulate points. Just spend a dollar on it every now and then. TD infinite visa is free first year. So if you're going away for a year or less. Just apply for one.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
It's 12-month inactive period, not "few months"
just do something (Esso) before you leave and you're good, unless you're outside the country > 12 months

otherwise, donate miles online also counts I believe, minimum 1000?
better than lose everything
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
Not unlike the earlier suggestion of doing surveys for a few points, try AskingCanadians.com. Those surveys can be done online as opposed to your phone.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
Best is to ask a friend to buy something at Esso like lottery tickets or a gift card if they don't drive. I do this for a few buddies that moved down south

If you're really desperate pm me and I'll use your Aeroplan number next time I'm at Esso (this week) as a one off. Otherwise get an Aeroplan cc as others have suggested.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
I take surveys all the time and apparently aeroplan points earned taking surveys don't apply toward keeping the points from expiring.
Phils
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1766 posts
4500 upvotes
Pawtucket
Phils wrote: I take surveys all the time and apparently aeroplan points earned taking surveys don't apply toward keeping the points from expiring.
The Carrot app surveys do. Our accounts get extended everytime the points post to our Aeroplan account.
May 28, 2004
560 posts
469 upvotes
redboy69 wrote:
Phils wrote: I take surveys all the time and apparently aeroplan points earned taking surveys don't apply toward keeping the points from expiring.
The Carrot app surveys do. Our accounts get extended everytime the points post to our Aeroplan account.
Ditto for askingcanadians. My "Account expiration date" is one year from the askingcanadians survey date. Perhaps earlier poster is confusing it with status.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
The surveys I've been taking were from Asking Canadians and the Harris Poll. I just checked my account and I had points going to Petro-Points. I just changed it Aeroplan.

Thanks,
Phils
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
1892 posts
17750 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: Not unlike the earlier suggestion of doing surveys for a few points, try AskingCanadians.com. Those surveys can be done online as opposed to your phone.
What he said! They send you emails which show the estimated length of completion for the survey. I usually do the 10-15 mins ones and if I have lots of free time I'll do the 20 mins one which gives you 100 aeroplan points I think
Jan 8, 2012
887 posts
744 upvotes
Williams Lake
Donate some points to charity online.

IIRC, min donation is 1000 points.

Karma-back.