Shopping Discussion

Online order on homedepot.COM with Canadian credit card?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2023 9:05 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 24, 2006
567 posts
684 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thank you!!! I've been trying to order something from homedepot.com forever that is not available in Canada. I tried your gift card trick and it seems to have worked! I didn't receive my gift card by email right away, so I had to call the gift card help line after a day, but otherwise the prices was relatively smooth.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Why not just get a US debit card?
It's far easier....
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
Looks like from what people discovered amex simply cash is recognized as an American card
Nov 11, 2009
1 posts
London, ON
marahute, thanks for that info! I tried your e-gift card trick this morning and it worked. I paid for my US$27.00 e-gift card with PayPal (PayPal Canada account), and the e-gift card arrived in my email inbox in under an hour. I just placed my order at homedepot.com. All items will ship free to my designated HD store (Port Huron, MI). Once the items arrive I'll have a week to pick them up.
Mar 18, 2007
196 posts
25 upvotes
marahute wrote: I have discovered a work-around...
1) Went to HomeDepot.com, chose the products I wanted, then went to the shopping cart to find the exact total of the order;
2) still on HomeDepot.com, I clicked to purchase a U.S. Home Depot e-gift card (make sure to click on "e-gift card", not just "gift card") - which redirected me to Cash Star;
3) purchased an e-gift card for the exact amount of my order;
4) had it sent to my own e-mail address (to me, from me);
5) paid for the e-gift card with PayPal (success!);
6) waited for my e-gift to arrive (took about 12 hours to process the order);
7) went back to the HD website, placed my order, and used my e-gift card as the tender.

At this point, it eliminated the credit card section of the order form, because payment was taken care of via the gift card. For this order, I asked for an in-store pick up (they still won't let you ship to a Canadian address). The website still asked me for my contact ("billing") information (including US address), but it will allow anything here because it's not cross-checking it with the credit card to verify the address. It basically just needed a contact name and number to apply to the order for when it came in. I used my parents' address in Florida and my own home phone number (Canadian), and it took it, though I would imagine any address with a valid zip code would do (use Google Maps!). It seems pretty ironic, though, that HD was perfectly satisfied with my contact address that was 1400 miles away from the store, but rejected the one that was just 30 miles away...
^^^ all this OR you could simply put in the real billing address (just house and street) and enter 77710 in the ZIP box, then enter the REAL phone associated with the card.

I've done this several times now, ship to home (us) or store is free :)

Enjoy!
Aug 31, 2006
200 posts
25 upvotes
1ply wrote: ^^^ all this OR you could simply put in the real billing address (just house and street) and enter 77710 in the ZIP box, then enter the REAL phone associated with the card.

Enjoy!
This simple method worked really well......THANKS!!
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1255 posts
158 upvotes
Brantford
1ply wrote: ^^^ all this OR you could simply put in the real billing address (just house and street) and enter 77710 in the ZIP box, then enter the REAL phone associated with the card.

Enjoy!
Tried placing an order just now and can't get this method to work?

Sorry, we were unable to verify your card information.Please confirm your billing address and card security ID and try again, or try another card.
Mar 18, 2007
196 posts
25 upvotes
scotty01 wrote: Tried placing an order just now and can't get this method to work?

Sorry, we were unable to verify your card information.Please confirm your billing address and card security ID and try again, or try another card.
It's been a while since I've done this, but it seems to have worked in January. Read all the notes during checkout, did you put in the real billing and real phone number? The only thing that changes IIRC is the ZIP code. AND remember, you have to pick up in store. Let us know how it goes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6833 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Weird that someone just bumped this thread. I am the OP and I actually managed to put through a homedepot.com order using my Canadian credit card just this Thursday. I was going to wait a few days in case they cancelled it but so far the order is sticking. So maybe they updated their billing system.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1255 posts
158 upvotes
Brantford
Thanks for the response guys. I did put in the real billing address (street number and name only) and did use the real phone number from the reverse of the credit card used. I then entered the random zip code as posted above. It would not work. The only difference I see in what I tried in comparison is I had it shipped to a home address (using a US postal address service). I can certainly give it a go again with the item shipped to store.

hoob - when you did your order this Thursday, did you have it shipped to home or to the store?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1255 posts
158 upvotes
Brantford
OK - it worked. Even with the SHIP TO HOME option. I did the method as above of using the proper street name and number, but using the suggested ZIP code. The problem was that I had to use my wife's name, as mine is just a supplementary card on her account so the billing address is under her name.

All good! :)
Oct 12, 2013
588 posts
2973 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Longtime bump, but my parents were recently in Bellingham, and they noticed some sheets pertaining to canadian online orders that ship to store.
This was at Store #4715 in Bellingham, so the instructions may not work for all stores, but I would assume the basic premise of how to do it might be worth a try
Typed up as they showed it on the piece of paper
CANADIAN ONLINE ORDER INSTRUCTIONS
You MUST ship to STORE#4715
Bellingham, WA 98226
420 Telegraph Road
(360) 715-0090 - do not use this on order

Please enter your personal information as below:
Billing and Contact Information
First Name: as it reads on your credit card
Last Name: As it reads on your credit card
*Address 1: (use your Canadian Street Address)
*Address 2: City, Province & postal code all on the same line
*ZIPCODE: 98226 (USE OUR STORE ZIP CODE)
City: Bellingham
State: WA
Phone Number: Use YOUR phone number
Email Address: Use YOUR email address

(Print to Service Desk and ask associate to hand it to you.)
* Not all cards work; RBC Bank Does NOT work; Some Credit Union Cards also do not work
* Watch your email for the "confirmed" and scroll to the bottom to make sure it did go through
* "Your Order has Shipped" means it went through and is on its way
* Watch for the email FROM Home Depot (NOT UPS) telling you order is ready for pickup.

(Print to Service Desk and ask associate to hand it to you.) <-- not sure what that step means.
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
524 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Some US sites may ask you to match your CC and your billing address. But usually they didn't ship to Canada. So it would be a problem.
Jul 18, 2004
389 posts
52 upvotes
Napanee
mozerfd wrote: CANADIAN ONLINE ORDER INSTRUCTIONS
You MUST ship to STORE#4715
Bellingham, WA 98226
420 Telegraph Road
(360) 715-0090 - do not use this on order

Please enter your personal information as below:
Billing and Contact Information
First Name: as it reads on your credit card
Last Name: As it reads on your credit card
*Address 1: (use your Canadian Street Address)
*Address 2: City, Province & postal code all on the same line
*ZIPCODE: 98226 (USE OUR STORE ZIP CODE)
City: Bellingham
State: WA
Phone Number: Use YOUR phone number
Email Address: Use YOUR email address

(Print to Service Desk and ask associate to hand it to you.)
* Not all cards work; RBC Bank Does NOT work; Some Credit Union Cards also do not work
* Watch your email for the "confirmed" and scroll to the bottom to make sure it did go through
* "Your Order has Shipped" means it went through and is on its way
* Watch for the email FROM Home Depot (NOT UPS) telling you order is ready for pickup.
Just placed an order using this method and it went through without errors. Showing as being processed still, but its only been about an hour. I will post updates on how it goes.
Jul 18, 2004
389 posts
52 upvotes
Napanee
Woke up this morning and the online order had been cancelled. I think it's safe to assume it was because of the canadian credit card even though I did follow the process above. Luckily I was in Niagara Falls this weekend on vacation and I scooted over to home depot on the american side and customer service put the order together figured out how much I needed, and I purchased a gift card for the exact amount and used it to make the purchase. I am having the order shipped to a home depot closer to home though. I assume this order should go through without an issue, otherwise I will be stuck with almost $2000 on an america home depot gift card.
Jul 18, 2004
389 posts
52 upvotes
Napanee
I just got notification that all items in my order are on their way to the store and my gift card had been charged. What a pain, but it looks like it worked.
Jul 18, 2004
389 posts
52 upvotes
Napanee
Items arrived in store today, less than a week from when I ordered them. I went down to watertown today and picked them up without issue. I just had to pay taxes crossing the border, no duty. I still saved $600 by purchasing from homedepot.com.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
3279 posts
1272 upvotes
Montreal
Gonna give this a try soon for my snow blower. Will post back with results
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |
Nov 14, 2012
182 posts
225 upvotes
Vancouver
Has anyone tried purchasing online using Home Depot's electronic gift card? The gift card merchant is a third party called Cashstar that seems to accept payment by PayPal with Canadian address. For example, I added a $50 e-gift card to basket and was able to proceed through the checkout process with PayPal all the way to the "Submit payment" step... (but then I stopped and figured I should check on RFD first!)

My strategy is to buy a electronic card, use it to pay on the homedepot.com, then ship to a mailbox centre in Blaine. Any potential problems with that plan?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)