• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2019 10:55 am
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
142 posts
33 upvotes
Saskatchewan

Online PHD program for business?

I am interested in a online PHD program for business if it exist.
9 replies
May 19, 2015
843 posts
322 upvotes
Centre of the Univer…
I'm guessing you don't know what a PhD involves?....

Also, no.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2763 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
Business Doctor.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
May 19, 2015
843 posts
322 upvotes
Centre of the Univer…
LOL DBA that's a joke how is it any different than a MBA except a different degree name - what a ba$tardization of what actual doctoral work is (in reference to PhD not doctorates granted for MD, JD, DDS professions)
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
142 posts
33 upvotes
Saskatchewan
I happen to like business admin. Recently finish EMBA program and always liked research (I publish papers before during my master in science (engineering)).

PhD would be nice but I work full time, can’t do the traditional route. So hoping some kind of online PhD problem. Never heard of it myself but I am hoping it exist.
Apr 13, 2010
131 posts
34 upvotes
You could technically do the https://www.phoenix.edu/programs/degree ... l/dba.html program. What I don't understand is all the things that would be required for a doctorate program - research, dessertation, defense, some TA work, is usually full time and on premise. Not to mention hard to continue a relationship with a supervisor in charge of the research if you're working and online.

I did an MBA. Knowing you did one too, I'd enroll to a DBA with the school and see if a majority of it can be done remote/flexible.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3703 posts
423 upvotes
Toronto
ATrac wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 9:08 am
What I don't understand is all the things that would be required for a doctorate program - research, dessertation, defense, some TA work, is usually full time and on premise. Not to mention hard to continue a relationship with a supervisor in charge of the research if you're working and online.
I agree with this. The PhD is about proving yourself as an original, independent researcher. Taking classes is only part of the picture and there is not much of a "curriculum".

I can imagine that in some non-experimental subjects (i.e. those where physical university resources are not required) you could do the last few years of a PhD mostly remotely, but the interaction and mentoring that are part of a PhD would be hard to do virtually.

If you work full-time, you'll find it very hard to do any kind of PhD without scaling back your hours. I personally know three friends / colleagues who have done or are doing their PhD part-time. All were or are supported by their employer to take some time "off work" for this (really, time at work gets redirected to the PhD). Two of them have finished, and it took them eight or nine years to do so. One of them is still working on his, and he is about seven years in, with perhaps a couple of years left.

The major risk in doing a part-time PhD, in addition to the time investment, is that by the time you're done, your research question is no longer significant (either the field has moved on, or you've been "scooped" by someone else who is able to work faster than you).