Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 9, 2008
237 posts
14 upvotes
H H Haaamilton

Online Shopping

Does anyone else think that Canadian online shopping sucks?!!
Compare [rfdlink=3]Amazon[/rfdlink] .ca to .com! How come you can buy everything under the sun at .com, but you can only by media items at .ca? However I do love shopping at [rfdlink=3]Amazon.ca[/rfdlink]. Awesome shipping and customer service.
Now Overstock.com ships to Canada, but we don't get the 2.95 flat rate shipping fee :(
You can shop at Walmart.com but not Walmart.ca.
Target.com does not ship to Canada...
How come there are so few decent Canadian online shopping sites? All the cool ones are in the States. So after shipping, and duties, taxes, any brokerage fees your item cost=$$$$$$.
Are Canadians still leary of online shopping? Is that why the choices are slim?
Let me know what kind of experiences you have had, what sites are great.. or not so great. Share your thoughts!
Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Jack Sparrow
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4087 posts
164 upvotes
meh...for what i'm looking to buy, we (Canada) have what I want

usually i just need computer stuff so i've shopped at directcanada.com, nxsource.com, buy.com, and dell.ca - the other stuff you listed i could care less for =) just my thoughts
SparrowSavvy wrote:
Dec 18th, 2008 11:55 pm
Does anyone else think that Canadian online shopping sucks?!!
Compare Amazon .ca to .com! How come you can buy everything under the sun at .com, but you can only by media items at .ca? However I do love shopping at Amazon.ca. Awesome shipping and customer service.
Now Overstock.com ships to Canada, but we don't get the 2.95 flat rate shipping fee :(
You can shop at Walmart.com but not Walmart.ca.
Target.com does not ship to Canada...
How come there are so few decent Canadian online shopping sites? All the cool ones are in the States. So after shipping, and duties, taxes, any brokerage fees your item cost=$$$$$$.
Are Canadians still leary of online shopping? Is that why the choices are slim?
Share your thoughts! :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
50 upvotes
Sometimes there are some ok deals for clothing like when LL Bean last year had free shipping to Canada and also spend $50 and get a $10 gift card.
This year they do not have any good promos for Canadians yet.

In the US almost all the shoes and clothing is cheaper too.

I also just bought online from Talbots- a women's clothing store and they have free shipping to Canada right now. I was also not charged any duty or tax....so my lucky day.

But for all that went really well I have had some crappy experiences. Like buying a leather purse and then deciding it was too big and so having to pay to send it back......it cost me $45 to send back.
The seller was great, just Canada post is so overpriced.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
You are in hamilton and, what, an hour to the border?

Open a US bank account, put money in it, get a US credit card, shop online and have stuff delivered to a US mail facility just over the border.

Save up discretionary purchases so that a border run is only needed once every 2-3 months. Save more money on gas/milk/cheese and a few other things on the trip as well.
Aug 11, 2008
658 posts
37 upvotes
Victoria
there are 10 times more people in the states, so theoretically there should be 10 times more online shopping sites, and 10 times higher chance of getting GOOD online shopping sites.

But I'm not too disapointed, ebay, tigerdirect, newegg, amazon.ca, the source, futureshop, etc. are ok places to get deals on things I'm interested in.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2008
237 posts
14 upvotes
H H Haaamilton
CheapScotsman wrote:
Dec 19th, 2008 12:48 am
You are in hamilton and, what, an hour to the border?

Open a US bank account, put money in it, get a US credit card, shop online and have stuff delivered to a US mail facility just over the border.

Save up discretionary purchases so that a border run is only needed once every 2-3 months. Save more money on gas/milk/cheese and a few other things on the trip as well.
Too much work :rolleyes: LOL
IMO I believe some online stores don't ship to P.O. Boxes. It's not so much as to stock up on things from the US, but just to do some casual shopping from the comfort of my own home. Just little things, stuff for the kids etc. and now that the loonie has taken a bit of a nosedive, it's not worth it for me personally, to make a trip over the border.
Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Jack Sparrow
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
We try to do less impulse buying and plan ahead for those things that we need and want. I usually find the quality, selection and prices cheaper in the States; even with exchange ...

but some things (like computer parts) are cheaper here in Canada. Just need to shop around.

You are right that most won't ship to a PO box ... so most of the mail drop facilities let you address like an apartment and you dont' even have send it to the mail drop facilities name ... Example:

Mr. CheapScotsman
1025 Main Street, Apt 1245
Lewiston, NY, 99999

But I understand that it is too much work for some people and to each his own. There are ways around your original issues; you just have to play the game.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
30 upvotes
i wished i live in the states..they get all the nice FREE shipping rates from big sites.... frys, geeks.com , ebay stuff, alot of car online parts sites,etc
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz
Dec 15, 2007
51 posts
1 upvote
KW
online shopping is way better in the States. I only shopped on futureshop.ca, bestbuy.ca, amazon.ca, costco.ca occasionally when I see deep discount. I'd like to shop on US site, the problem is I had to ship to a friend's address in US and when he comes back to Canada, he brings it back here. The limits me to shop only small items, like clothes, shoes and etc.

I think in US, the amazon.com is the best if you have a US address, no sales tax (unless you live in Washington state) and shipping is free for most of the items. I did shop on walmart.com once (the trick when you give your billing address you had to use an US state and a US zip code, my canadian credit card went through), and had the items shipped to a walmart store in US close to the border for free, then I had to drive across the border to pick it up. The problem is you have to pay for the local sales tax, and when you come back to Canada, the border agent charged me for GST+PST and he said he could charge me duties too. macys.com and polo.com sometimes have deals on cloth and you can call macys to order on the phone, and you can use your canadian credit card on polo.com. Again, they don't ship to Canada.

IN general, online shopping in US is way better than Canada. they don't have a nationwide tax like GST, so as long as you don't ship to the same state where the local vendor are at, like amazon.com is at washington state, dell is in Texas, you don't pay sales tax at all. And shipping is free most of time. You can buy pretty much everything without paying sales tax and shipping.

If you buy from chain stores like walmart.com, macys.com, target.com, homedepot.com, etc. where they have local presence, then you have to pay state sales tax where the items are shipped to.

In general, online shopping in US is a lot of better than in Canada. People in Canada have to realize that we're paying a lot more than US people and we have a lot less choices.