Only High School Diploma - Am I ******?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 2:59 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7748 posts
346 upvotes
No you're not f**ked.

Just apply yourself to something you enjoy and research it has a "future", network, don't shy away from "lower" level work. You can work you way up (many will say you can't, but you still can). Don't be afraid to fail.

Both my brother and I both have just HS diplomas pretty much were in the same spot as you when we were younger. We hated school pretty much, only went for sports. We both tried college a bit, dropped out after barely 1 yr. Entered the workforce, and we're both doing fine.

He works in the manufacturing area, and I work in IT support in the financial sector. We both make comfortable enough salaries and low stress jobs.

What i mean about not shunning low level, low pay work... both my brother and I started our "career" at just about $10-12/hr. HS diploma + barely above minimum wage, and over twenty yrs old... seems bleak right? For both of us, the raises came as with promotions... and we're both pretty comfortable where we are now. (I personally would refuse more pay + responsibility now, and have... free time is just more important these days).
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
[OP]
Dec 20, 2016
9 posts
GRANDISON wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:56 pm
I found the military to contain a majority of people who used it as a last resort, so take that for what its worth. I used it as a means to make quick cash and high tailed it when I was asked to put my life on the line in Afghanistan. You might call it dishonorable but I've seen the people that come back from war first hand. It truly changes people. And not in a good way. That PTSD thing they talk about, it's no joke.

Same thing would go for law enforcement or paramedical or firefighting. Some of the things you see are traumatizing. So take that into consideration before you sign up.

Also those reports you always here about sexual harassment and racism and all that jazz... all true and very prevalent and hush hush. Its the military. Its a very different world than the 'civi code of conduct'.
So even if I'm in the AF working in a control tower (lets say), can I still be deployed? Will I be forced to? And by deployment does it mean I'll be forced to be in "dangerous" situations?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4476 posts
740 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
No... unless your parents are foreign and shun you for doing a job that isn't in an office.

There are people who make $100K+ even without a high school diploma. If you be good with your money, invest it, do not see working as an employee as the only "career" and keep an open mind, you can still make gold. The catch is you'll likely have to work your way up and deal with jobs you don't like in the beginning. And again if your family is foreign, face being disowned by them because it's not an office job (though experienced people can move to
The office).

While I don't recommend it, my rate is 350-910/day (350-500 is typical; upper range is for irregular projects) and you need about a couple months of education beyond HS Diploma; remainder is experience, for which you'll struggle without at least a few months to a year, but that's with any job. I'm in the oilfield and road construction trucking and operating industry. The boon is the low investment cost and time so theoretically you can construct a sizeable portfolio in a few years, so when you get sick of it you've already developed capital.

Anyhow, still better than people who blindly listened to mom and dad and spent 20-30K+ of their money or student loan money to get a degree to make 30-40K a year after losing 4-5+ years of income.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3556 posts
1420 upvotes
GRANDISON wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:56 pm
I found the military to contain a majority of people who used it as a last resort, so take that for what its worth. I used it as a means to make quick cash and high tailed it when I was asked to put my life on the line in Afghanistan. You might call it dishonorable but I've seen the people that come back from war first hand. It truly changes people. And not in a good way. That PTSD thing they talk about, it's no joke.

Same thing would go for law enforcement or paramedical or firefighting. Some of the things you see are traumatizing. So take that into consideration before you sign up.

Also those reports you always here about sexual harassment and racism and all that jazz... all true and very prevalent and hush hush. Its the military. Its a very different world than the 'civi code of conduct'.
Is it easy to get into the military?
Oct 3, 2008
332 posts
92 upvotes
Canada
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 6:29 pm
Is it easy to get into the military?
Yes it is stupid easy to get in. Lets be honest in a non-politically correct world you are cannon fodder. The only time it isn't easy to get in is if you are valuable (Pilot... etc) and then you aren't cannon fodder you take out the cannons.
Oct 3, 2008
332 posts
92 upvotes
Canada
guccimanilla1 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:16 am
So even if I'm in the AF working in a control tower (lets say), can I still be deployed? Will I be forced to? And by deployment does it mean I'll be forced to be in "dangerous" situations?
Yes as a full-time member you are contractually obliged to put your life on the line at anytime and anywhere. Part time reserve force has the choice, but you need money and part time isn't going to cut it. Unless of course you want to pad your resume with military experience. It goes very well on your resume for many jobs such as entry level government that most people have a hard time getting into.
[OP]
Dec 20, 2016
9 posts
GRANDISON wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:48 pm
Yes as a full-time member you are contractually obliged to put your life on the line at anytime and anywhere. Part time reserve force has the choice, but you need money and part time isn't going to cut it. Unless of course you want to pad your resume with military experience. It goes very well on your resume for many jobs such as entry level government that most people have a hard time getting into.
Well then... not really sure how I feel about that. I would rather not "die for my country". I respect the military but not that much.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13312 posts
1188 upvotes
guccimanilla1 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:08 pm
Actually coding was one of the things I dropped out of. I just found it very... hands off? In some way it sort of felt really theoretical, even more so than math because there is never a defined way to do something, you have to create it.
It's exactly like math in a way, because different people are wired to learn it differently, so you need access to the right type of teacher for your learning style. Bad programming teachers should be shot. They do so much damage to people who could learn given the proper training.

Learning how to code is not a one-size-fits-all thing. You may need a holistic teacher, or you may need a syntactical one. You won't know until you are assessed and it's up to the college to put you in the right stream.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1619 posts
164 upvotes
Go into trades like plumbing or welding.
Dec 10, 2008
127 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
I'll add my 2 cents here. I went to college for AME-M Tech back in OCT 2011. Joined the military in OCT 2015 and did my 3 month basic training. Got a fat pay raise after basic because I entered as a semi skilled tradesmen. Way more money than I'll get in civvie side because aviation outside is a shit hole for pay. Rent is cheap if you live in the barracks on base.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20699 posts
1949 upvotes
You are just playing life at ultra hard difficulty....

Get your high school diploma
[OP]
Dec 20, 2016
9 posts
messupdude wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 1:50 pm
I'll add my 2 cents here. I went to college for AME-M Tech back in OCT 2011. Joined the military in OCT 2015 and did my 3 month basic training. Got a fat pay raise after basic because I entered as a semi skilled tradesmen. Way more money than I'll get in civvie side because aviation outside is a shit hole for pay. Rent is cheap if you live in the barracks on base.
Do you think the military route is good? Are you worried about doing a tour?
[OP]
Dec 20, 2016
9 posts
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 5:09 am
Better than getting old with an illness like ALS, Alzheimer's and dying in your own shit. :lol:
I'm sort of confused as to how much danger I'll be exposed to. I mean the other dude just said I'd be cannon fodder and I'll get PTSD, then I read stuff like deployment is boring. It's quite annoying actually.