None
[OP]
Jun 20, 2012
174 posts
4 upvotes
MARKHAM

OnStreet overnight parking ticket - Markham

Hi,

I received a parking ticket for parking overnight on street in front of my house in Markham. This is the first time this has happened.
I just forgot that car is still parked on the street (as was taking care of something really important) and realized the next morning.

It was a mistake and can't deny that. Is there any way I can get the amount reduced ? Should I put a request to fight this ticket with the assumption that prosecutor will offer me a deal or officer may not show up on the court date ? Is there anything to lose by fighting this ticket ?

What would be my next steps if I have to fight this ticket ?

Thanks.
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7065 posts
1493 upvotes
Mississauga
reachme wrote:
Oct 17th, 2015 9:07 pm
Hi,

I received a parking ticket for parking overnight on street in front of my house in Markham. This is the first time this has happened.
I just forgot that car is still parked on the street (as was taking care of something really important) and realized the next morning.

It was a mistake and can't deny that. Is there any way I can get the amount reduced ? Should I put a request to fight this ticket with the assumption that prosecutor will offer me a deal or officer may not show up on the court date ? Is there anything to lose by fighting this ticket ?

What would be my next steps if I have to fight this ticket ?

Thanks.
The options should be on the back of the ticket. How much is the ticket? Is it worth taking the time off worth fighting it? There is a thread in the automotive forum about fighting parking tickets.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1350 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
took an L infront of your house lol Your car/address is marked. The ticket person will make rounds in the middle of the night hoping u park on the street again

the overnight parking fine is $30?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1349 posts
780 upvotes
Waterloo
booblehead wrote:
Oct 17th, 2015 9:42 pm
$50

City of markham source
honestly if you go to court to fight it, you miss a day of pay. probably not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5804 posts
609 upvotes
Not worth the fight. Won't affect your insurance rate. I did the same years ago. Just pay and learn from your lesson.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7496 posts
1257 upvotes
Go to city hall, and the clerk will reduce the ticket by 40-50%. Just be nice to the clerk. If you want any more then you'll have to go to court in Newmarket. I don't think they are doing parking tickets @ Richmond Hill court AND I doubt you'll win since Markham enforcement officers take pictures of the infraction as well. .
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
3555 posts
984 upvotes
markham
go to city centre warden/7...12 to 4 pm last i went...take a number..talk to the old guy and reduce...get there a bit early and grab a number quick..old fart takes about 15 min each person and longer with the pretty girls.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9381 posts
2028 upvotes
so why cant you park overnight on the street, is this some weird Ontario parking law? what do people do without driveways and garages?
Penalty Box
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
116 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 11:47 am
so why cant you park overnight on the street, is this some weird Ontario parking law? what do people do without driveways and garages?
you just not allowed as well for richmond hill

you can get the ticket reduced for half.. worth the hassle town of markham takes 5-10 minutes

but do not worth the hassle to go to court
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1350 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 11:47 am

haha suburbs have to find a way to make money. OP probably had a neighbor call it in, or Parking Control was driving around the to ticket cars
Penalty Box
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
116 upvotes
jswift79 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 12:22 pm
haha suburbs have to find a way to make money. OP probably had a neighbor call it in, or Parking Control was driving around the to ticket cars
theses guys earn commission " Parking Control"
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1350 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
TripleTAP wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 1:23 pm
theses guys earn commission " Parking Control"
atleast it's not in the winter. Parking Control will tow all the cars in the middle of night on bus routes, school zones, or whenever snow plow operators complain that they cant do their job properly