Personal Finance

ONT ONLY - microFIT solar panel program: 10-14% return for 20 yrs * FAT LADY HAS SUNG

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 9:33 am
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1474 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
Jan 198kwh

It was covered in snow for half the month. How do you guys clear yours? Are they fragile and do you need to worry about scratching them?
Aug 31, 2015
272 posts
66 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Mine were covered in snow a bit but sometimes the snow blows off or it melts when it gets to about -2 or so. I wouldn't worry to much about cleaning them as there is too much risk of hurting yourself for <$10.

Today is my best day since Oct 5 - I am close to 40 kWh!

solar feb 2.png
Jan 4, 2010
73 posts
26 upvotes
Niagara Region
There's no way I can get up to clean off my panels either. The sun does what it will do (I have a 2.5 storey house). I do have an 8/12 pitch roof, so not much sticks up there.

I had my best day since Oct 4th... 58.95kwh today.
Dec 29, 2006
26 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
Hi everyone...first time posting to this forum. We're in the process of getting our panels installed and went through a solar broker. I'm a bit worried about how long it's taking them to actually get the installation done. I know there's a 180 day deadline imposed by the IESO before the offer expires and our deadline is mid March (got approval mid September 2017). I've been in contact with our installer and all I've heard is that they're backlogged because of the cold weather we've had in the GTA lately. My question is how quickly can the panels be installed? and how long does getting connected to the grid take (We're in Markham and Alectra/Powerstream is our provider)? I'm trying to determine how much time I need in case I have to go with another installer. Our install is a smaller 5500kwh/year install (16 panels). Should I be worried? Does anyone have experience with connecting after the 180 day IESO deadline?
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
slowserver wrote: Hi everyone...first time posting to this forum. We're in the process of getting our panels installed and went through a solar broker. I'm a bit worried about how long it's taking them to actually get the installation done. I know there's a 180 day deadline imposed by the IESO before the offer expires and our deadline is mid March (got approval mid September 2017). I've been in contact with our installer and all I've heard is that they're backlogged because of the cold weather we've had in the GTA lately. My question is how quickly can the panels be installed? and how long does getting connected to the grid take (We're in Markham and Alectra/Powerstream is our provider)? I'm trying to determine how much time I need in case I have to go with another installer. Our install is a smaller 5500kwh/year install (16 panels). Should I be worried? Does anyone have experience with connecting after the 180 day IESO deadline?
The install of our 10Kwh system took 3 summer days. It took a week to get connected afterwards, but that was Hydro One in 2013.

When you say you are having a solar broker install the system, is it a "free solar" system contract?
Last edited by JWL on Feb 5th, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 29, 2006
26 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
It's not a "free" contract. We went through the broker so we didn't have to deal with the paperwork and sourcing the materials and labour ourselves. I'm just worried they oversold last year because the program is ending and now there's not enough manpower to actually do the installations before the deadline. I actually have 2 friends that are in the same boat...we've just been in limbo for the last few months after getting assessed and approved. We even replaced the shingles in preparation for getting the panels installed. I saw someone on the forum recently got their panels installed, so I guess they can work in winter when it's not too cold.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
slowserver wrote: It's not a "free" contract. We went through the broker so we didn't have to deal with the paperwork and sourcing the materials and labour ourselves. I'm just worried they oversold last year because the program is ending and now there's not enough manpower to actually do the installations before the deadline. I actually have 2 friends that are in the same boat...we've just been in limbo for the last few months after getting assessed and approved. We even replaced the shingles in preparation for getting the panels installed. I saw someone on the forum recently got their panels installed, so I guess they can work in winter when it's not too cold.
Glad to hear you're not getting a "free" contract. From microFIT's perspective, you are not locked into an installer, you can change. But any changes in equipment would require changes to your application (it may also require changes to your connection application).
Aug 31, 2015
272 posts
66 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
@slowserver

Are you sure that they do installations during the winter? Certainly it would be unsafe to do any work on a roof when snow and ice are present. Getting connected to Toronto Hydro took a couple of months for me
in the summer of 2015 but apparently the meters were backordered at that time. I hate to tell you this but I don't like the odds of your system being completed and online by March 31.
Jan 15, 2018
20 posts
5 upvotes
I'm happy with my Jan numbers:

Jan 18 - 484 kWh
Jan 17 - 389 kWh

Hoping this year keeps up!
Dec 29, 2006
26 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
wayner9 wrote: @slowserver

Are you sure that they do installations during the winter? Certainly it would be unsafe to do any work on a roof when snow and ice are present. Getting connected to Toronto Hydro took a couple of months for me
in the summer of 2015 but apparently the meters were backordered at that time. I hate to tell you this but I don't like the odds of your system being completed and online by March 31.
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I noticed someone on this forum posted that they got their installation on Jan 23rd, so maybe all is not lost.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
slowserver wrote: Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I noticed someone on this forum posted that they got their installation on Jan 23rd, so maybe all is not lost.
Suggest you check with your hydro company to understand what to expect regarding connection times. Work back from there (with some cushion time) to figure out when the install has to be completed in order to meet microFIT time requirements. LAST thing you want to happen is get installed but not connected in time for microFIT deadlines. Then you'd need to pay more to get converted to net metering which is a much lower return.
Sep 20, 2015
256 posts
309 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Anyone from Ottawa Area - I need help to understand how hydroOttawa pay out for microFit production. I have received a bill indicating that I have credit on the account. Note - It is not net-metering and I am actually selling it to hydroOttawa. Anyone with experience with HydroOttawa can explain it please? I did not have good experience calling their customer service because I get different answers all the time.
Jan 15, 2007
511 posts
103 upvotes
Our install was done on a couple decent days in January (Burlington). They are supposed to come tomorrow and Thursday to do all of the electrical but that may depend on what weather we get overnight.
Apr 3, 2015
61 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
You'll get the statement that looks like a normal electric bill. It will show your production, strip out $19 for their service fee (called Delivery fee on the credit statement), and HST if you are collecting it.

A few / several days later you'll get a cheque in the mail. The cheque is usually about 4-5 weeks (maybe 6?) after the statement end date. I've received my Dec 2017 statement, but not Dec 2017 cheque.

'tuna
OttawaGuy2 wrote: Anyone from Ottawa Area - I need help to understand how hydroOttawa pay out for microFit production. I have received a bill indicating that I have credit on the account. Note - It is not net-metering and I am actually selling it to hydroOttawa. Anyone with experience with HydroOttawa can explain it please? I did not have good experience calling their customer service because I get different answers all the time.
Feb 6, 2018
15 posts
8 upvotes
Could someone help me with a problem. My Enphase Envoy has failed and I am confused on what to replace it with. I currently have the Envoy C and like it, but it doesn't have a great track record. Is it worth it to buy another one, or should I buy the Envoy S? Is that unit hard to install? Does anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase one for a good price? Also, I have an inverter that has not been reporting for a year or more and do you think I can get a hold of anyone at Enphase! Should I just buy another one and give up trying to claim it on warranty? Thanks!
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
SolarMom wrote: Could someone help me with a problem. My Enphase Envoy has failed and I am confused on what to replace it with. I currently have the Envoy C and like it, but it doesn't have a great track record. Is it worth it to buy another one, or should I buy the Envoy S? Is that unit hard to install? Does anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase one for a good price? Also, I have an inverter that has not been reporting for a year or more and do you think I can get a hold of anyone at Enphase! Should I just buy another one and give up trying to claim it on warranty? Thanks!
My Envoy C died after about 3 years (1 year warranty). Called my installer and he quoted a replacement cost of about $700. Found one on ebay.com for about $350. Plugging it in is easy enough but then it has to be added to your system to show up on Enlighten. You can't do this. Enphase only deals with installers not customers, so you have to ask your installer to do this. It would take them about 2 minutes to do but my installer refused to saying "ask the person you bought it from to do it" (basically was a jerk because I didn't buy it from him).

After going back and forth with Enphase for a lot of time I eventually got them to spend the 2 minutes to add it to my system.

I don't know anything about the Enphase S (I think they may have re-branded the Enphase IQ).

I would definitely contact your installer about replacing the dead microinverter. You'll have to pay for labour but the unit itself should be free under warranty. Enphase won't deal with you.
Feb 6, 2018
15 posts
8 upvotes
Thank you, I will search around for a good price. I am actually set up as an installer with Enphase, as we did a self install, but I still can't get anyone on the phone. I did send a message to their Facebook page and was told they will look into it. We shall see how long it takes or if they ever get back to me. My husband thinks we should just buy a new microinverter now, and then send the old one back and they can send another one to have as a spare when more fail, which they will, for sure! When we started having issues and spoke with them, I was told "Many of your units are having issues, going off and on" As in, this is normal. It's a great system, when it works, but their customer service is awful.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11955 posts
3699 upvotes
Kingston
SolarMom wrote: My husband thinks we should just buy a new microinverter now, and then send the old one back and they can send another one to have as a spare when more fail, which they will, for sure! When we started having issues and spoke with them, I was told "Many of your units are having issues, going off and on" As in, this is normal. It's a great system, when it works, but their customer service is awful.
Getting a new one now and then having a spare on hand could work, but unless you are in a rush to replace it (which you don't seem to be), might as well give them a chance to send you a new one. Have you tried to get a warranty replacement from the company you bought the parts from? That's worth a try.
Feb 6, 2018
15 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks, I will try and call the company and see if they can help. As long as I am still making money, it's ok to wait a bit since going on the roof right now is not the best idea! haha!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)