Personal Finance

ONT ONLY - microFIT solar panel program: 10-14% return for 20 yrs * FAT LADY HAS SUNG

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2017 10:42 am
Apr 6, 2008
336 posts
93 upvotes
I bought my materials from Paid4Power and installed my 10kw net metering system myself. 35x275w panels and SolarEdge inverter with optimizers. They were reasonably priced and was really good about providing materials and support for the install.
Mar 9, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Frankdee wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 5:36 pm
Paid4power is now Ultimate solar https://www.usolar.ca
Hi Everyone, I thought I would just weigh in here really quickly. This is certainly a great forum with great discussion and a lot of knowledgeable contributions. I enjoy reading the different insights people have and their willingness to help direct one another.

I want to make a quick distinction between Paid4Power Inc (P4P) and Ultimate Solar Inc. The majority of the people who work for P4P also work for Ultimate Solar as well the majority of the owners are the same.
At P4P we think we have done quite well in the renewable energy industry. We have completed many residential and commercial projects. We have designed, installed, commissioned 11 of our own small FIT projects - the larges of which is 600kW about 2400 solar panels. As these two companies move forward P4P is working on larger commercial projects and Ultimate Solar is now working on residential projects.

As we have built up P4P we are well positioned to give customers a fair price on a microFIT system and we certainly have just as much experience and expertise as anyone in the industry.

Keep posting, I enjoy all the different perspectives -- make it a sunny (figuratively speaking) day people!
Jun 19, 2012
1 posts
Can you please share the contact details of the installer. I wanted to get solar panels installed at my home in Okaville.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10412 posts
1891 upvotes
Kingston
If the recent announcements that hydro bills will drop by 17% is true, it will make net metering less attractive as the savings/returns are lower.

But as I've said lots of times, microFIT is a much more profitable choice than net metering so this just increased the difference between the two.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27087 posts
1738 upvotes
Winnipeg
bfader101 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 9:35 pm
Fronius Primo 10kw (string). I helped the guy install the panels. Unless they were stickered under their possible production?

Here's my curve for Feb 14

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6h1ypf6d5zgp ... M.png?dl=0
link is dead, can you get me some data on cost, if you have bill of material, that be great, I see that 10kW system costed you $15k which is an amazing price. We are pushing for solar in Manitoba now that hydro has started giving out rebates, so there will be a lot of installation coming and I'm putting design together to get ready for it, be great to attach some real world cost $$$ to the components and results.
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Mar 11, 2010
82 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi JWL,
Would you kindly re-t=post about the Tax please?.
I printed out, but it misplaced somewhere.

What is the form to report to our tax return?.
Is it available using Ufile?

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10412 posts
1891 upvotes
Kingston
hkrisca wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:22 pm
Hi JWL,
Would you kindly re-t=post about the Tax please?.
I printed out, but it misplaced somewhere.

What is the form to report to our tax return?.
Is it available using Ufile?

Thanks
Links are in the first post. T2125 is a very standard form so it should be available in any tax program.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27087 posts
1738 upvotes
Winnipeg
UltimateSolar wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:09 am
Hi Everyone, I thought I would just weigh in here really quickly. This is certainly a great forum with great discussion and a lot of knowledgeable contributions. I enjoy reading the different insights people have and their willingness to help direct one another.

I want to make a quick distinction between Paid4Power Inc (P4P) and Ultimate Solar Inc. The majority of the people who work for P4P also work for Ultimate Solar as well the majority of the owners are the same.
At P4P we think we have done quite well in the renewable energy industry. We have completed many residential and commercial projects. We have designed, installed, commissioned 11 of our own small FIT projects - the larges of which is 600kW about 2400 solar panels. As these two companies move forward P4P is working on larger commercial projects and Ultimate Solar is now working on residential projects.

As we have built up P4P we are well positioned to give customers a fair price on a microFIT system and we certainly have just as much experience and expertise as anyone in the industry.

Keep posting, I enjoy all the different perspectives -- make it a sunny (figuratively speaking) day people!
Do you have a presence in Winnipeg? Hydro starting to subsidize solar installation here and you know what that means...especially with microfit ending this year. Once the details are nailed down I will be seeing solar installation going around. You heard from me first, you will see a massive spike in demand of solar installation soon.

For the ones have it installed, can you get me some numbers on material cost and labor cost? Thanks in advance.
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27087 posts
1738 upvotes
Winnipeg
sroghen wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 3:14 pm
Since you guys are talking about cost, i found my breakdown sheet from last year. This should give you an indication of what to expect:

270 Panels - qty 37 8441.8
Rail Kinetic - 2945
Installation - 5950 (includes building permit and electrical)
2 x Fronius 5KW 2900
Total with Fronius and 270 Panels 21079

Some pricing info for budgetting - http://www.solacity.com/shop/
so $21k for 10kW installed, pretty good, better than the price I see here in winnipeg
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Jun 27, 2010
345 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
divx wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 11:32 pm
so $21k for 10kW installed, pretty good, better than the price I see here in winnipeg
Subtract $1000 from that as I had to get reinforcements to support load of panels.

Looks like panels pricing keeps coming down, could have saved another $1500 from last year's pricing - http://www.solacity.com/product-category/solar-panels/
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27087 posts
1738 upvotes
Winnipeg
sroghen wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:53 pm
Subtract $1000 from that as I had to get reinforcements to support load of panels.

Looks like panels pricing keeps coming down, could have saved another $1500 from last year's pricing - http://www.solacity.com/product-category/solar-panels/
do you have the bill of the list of materials? also what's the weight? is it just mostly the weight of the panel themselves or does the support add a lot of weight too?
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Jun 27, 2010
345 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
The building engineer will evaluate whether additional structural work is required based on weight of panels.

I used sites like the one above to negotiate the pricing of each item with my installer. I even used pricing on Kijiji ..:)
Each time my installer came back with better pricing, so i got everything from him. He had a set install fee and did not care whether you got the items from him or somewhere else. I made it clear to him as well, and he was OK with that.
Mar 15, 2017
3 posts
HEY JWL

Im having a hard time finding the info for the tax return, could you be more specific or provide a link?

thanks
Nov 29, 2011
161 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
This was the best day for my system since late last summer. Great cool and sunny day.