Personal Finance

ONT ONLY - microFIT solar panel program: 10-14% return for 20 yrs * FAT LADY HAS SUNG

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 5:34 pm
Nov 29, 2011
145 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
afshaikh wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 10:24 pm
Went through 3 people only Lowe's person followed through with a quote.

The rest just were throwing random numbers around with no real plan or follow up. I'm not so song 2-300 dollars that these guys are not interested in doing business. The whole process has been a turn off due to these solar companies.

If anyone has any reputable person or contractors in Toronto please list them or PM me.

And yes I've read the whole thread and contacted several people but no one followed through.
Have you, jradwk and Magler gotten prices from Tom at https://www.usolar.ca/ If not then try him.
Jun 28, 2017
2 posts
Have you, jradwk and Magler gotten prices from Tom at https://www.usolar.ca/ If not then try him
I just filled out their online form. All the prices I have been quoted are around $18000 for a 5.6-5.9kW system. I am more interested in getting independent feedback from anyone who has used any of these companies. Were there any surprises? Did the system perform as promised?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10318 posts
1837 upvotes
Kingston
MANGLER wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 7:48 am
Just got a quote from Lowe's solar, 36k including HST, connection fee and building permit fee. I liked the materials proposed (9.9kw of Tier1 panels, solar edge inverters and power optimizers, shletter racking). A bit of a pressure sale (750$ rebate "ending soon"), and some misleading CRA related info ("tax free" income), but overall not bad for the information provided.

My questions:

Is this competitive in the Chatham area? Install is a no brainer, low slope (3.5 pitch) shed roof, single plane.
New structure, so the orientation and slope is good. Minimal shading, but because it is a treed lot I may get some afternoon (4pm plus shade), which tends to push me to optimizers vs string inverters
I don't recall hearing of others in the thread from Chatham, but $36K with HST is what I think I paid in 2013 in Kingston for my system with microinverters. So it seems high. But the only sure way to tell is to get other quotes from reputable installers in the area. Arcadian Projects in Waterloo got some good comments earlier in this thread, are from Waterloo and seem to be willing to travel a bit.
Nov 29, 2015
46 posts
19 upvotes
Bradford, ON
I will vouch for Upstream energy solutions professionalism and great pricing. The whole process was as smooth as butter and the owner of the company, JD is a fantastic person to work with. Their installation staff were also amazing. He was extremely helpful and explained the entire process along the way and was able to answer all my questions. I would definitely recommend JD to anyone looking into solar.

I had enough consultations with various solar companies that I am happy I didn't go with. Pushy sales tactics and unprofessionalism at my dining table is not acceptable.

www.upstreamsolar.com

You can view pictures of their projects at:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... EE-zsCjpag
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7288 posts
1413 upvotes
Brampton
Quick Question maybe even a dumb one. I tried to search but couldn't find the answer.

If I had a HELOC and used it to pay a solar roof. Could I write off the interest on it as a tax deduction as a cost?
As per post ont-only-microfit-solar-panel-program-1 ... #p21797977
Part# 5

Found my answer I kept searching using HELOC. Using Loan/leverage/borrow I found my answer.
Nov 29, 2011
145 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Solar generation is much lower this year over last. Last year was a particularly, mostly sunny year and this year is a very cloudy one. Month over month, solar generation is much lower than last year and not much change in the long range forecasts. Most system generations are down 20+% year over year.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
38661 posts
8486 upvotes
I thought my panels were going bad. Maximum I have been getting is around 60 for an 8.8 system.
Apr 27, 2014
222 posts
62 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Looking to put in a 10kW system and was hoping to get some recommended installers, feel free to pm. This thread is giant and solarcity doesn't appear to be mentioned once based on searching is there a reason?
Sep 20, 2015
15 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Same here. Looking for recommended installers for 10kW system. Feel free to pm.
Mar 11, 2010
82 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
Frankdee wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 8:11 am
Solar generation is much lower this year over last. Last year was a particularly, mostly sunny year and this year is a very cloudy one. Month over month, solar generation is much lower than last year and not much change in the long range forecasts. Most system generations are down 20+% year over year.
What about 2015 and prior?
My system start producing in May last year, I was excited with the great production especially June-July 2016, but this year is down 15-20%.
Is 2017 a normal or lower than average?.

Thanks
Aug 31, 2015
125 posts
25 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
My system started producing in August of 2015 but 2017 seems like it is substantially worse than average. That isn't surprising as it rains almost every freakin' day in southern Ontario this summer.
Aug 31, 2015
125 posts
25 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
expatflame wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 2:44 pm
This thread is giant and solarcity doesn't appear to be mentioned once based on searching is there a reason?
Does SolarCity operate in Canada? I didn't think so. But if you are interested in the Tesla solar roofs I believe those are supposed to be available later this year at best. But given Canadian weather it wouldn't make sense to have them installed until the spring - I don't think much roofing happens during the winter.
Apr 27, 2014
222 posts
62 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
wayner9 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 3:34 pm
Does SolarCity operate in Canada? I didn't think so. But if you are interested in the Tesla solar roofs I believe those are supposed to be available later this year at best. But given Canadian weather it wouldn't make sense to have them installed until the spring - I don't think much roofing happens during the winter.
I just assumed they were since from what I understand the roofs will be available here. Also would love the roof but I don't think the math makes sense yet based on data they've released and microFit is up against a deadline this year so regular pv panels it is.
Jan 15, 2007
191 posts
11 upvotes
2015 was better than 2016 from Jan - July here. The last five months made 2016 the best year for production though. This year so far is the worse ever since my 2011 install.