Personal Finance

ONT ONLY - microFIT solar panel program: 10-14% return for 20 yrs * FAT LADY HAS SUNG

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 9:33 am
Aug 31, 2015
272 posts
66 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
JWL wrote: I have both a higher microFIT rate (55 cents) and lower marginal rate so net metering won't make sense for me for a long time.
What year did you start? 2013 or so?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
For people with PV, do you generally have 10kW system? What is your hardware setup, do you use micro inverter or string inverter with optimizers?
Aug 31, 2015
272 posts
66 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Back in the microFIT days in Ontario 10kW was the max you could have on a residential install and be part of that program. Not sure about the micro inverters or optimizers - my main inverter is a SolarEdge, which has been good, other than seeming to have a small fire/heat issue which meant that the circuit board had to be replaced - my system was down for several months in 2022 and of course it was from June-Oct when it was done. I like that that SolarEdge has an open API that you can access to pull data from the system.
Jul 19, 2006
353 posts
134 upvotes
Has anyone has trouble reaching their solar panel supplier to come remove the panel so that they can repair / redo their roof? Mine is not returning my emails or calls but the contract says I must contact them to remove the panels and then they will reinstall it after. Im at a lost on what to do now
Aug 31, 2015
272 posts
66 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Is the firm still around? Many firms went out of business after microFIT ended. If they are still around and have lots of demand they probably prefer doing new installs that are more profitable than taking your panels off and then putting them back on.
Dec 3, 2008
571 posts
133 upvotes
Hamilton
foodaddict wrote: Has anyone has trouble reaching their solar panel supplier to come remove the panel so that they can repair / redo their roof? Mine is not returning my emails or calls but the contract says I must contact them to remove the panels and then they will reinstall it after. Im at a lost on what to do now
thats the big problem people getting the solar panels unless you have a lifetime roof installed its going cost big to redo it
kevv
Jul 19, 2006
353 posts
134 upvotes
The firm is still around but no one picks up the phone or return emails. They got bought out a few years ago and seems like service level has declined. Company is rss solar and was owned by Pure Energies before
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2978 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
divx wrote: For people with PV, do you generally have 10kW system? What is your hardware setup, do you use micro inverter or string inverter with optimizers?
String with optimizers here.

FYI: it is 10kW at the inverter(s) which means you can have more than 10kW of panels.