Personal Finance

ONT ONLY - microFIT solar panel program: 10-14% return for 20 yrs * FAT LADY HAS SUNG

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 6:05 pm
Oct 13, 2017
3 posts
I have a question which may apply to a number of installations.

I have both a MicroFit and a NetMetering Installation which are currently running independently . It is obviously preferred to have the DC from the panels from both installations sent to the MicroFit inverters first and then divert any DC in excess of the 10Kw maximum to the NetMetering inverters.

I was wondering if anybody is aware of a diversion device that might accomplish this.

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10441 posts
1905 upvotes
Kingston
SolarTanTan wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 10:00 am
I have a question which may apply to a number of installations.

I have both a MicroFit and a NetMetering Installation which are currently running independently . It is obviously preferred to have the DC from the panels from both installations sent to the MicroFit inverters first and then divert any DC in excess of the 10Kw maximum to the NetMetering inverters.

I was wondering if anybody is aware of a diversion device that might accomplish this.

Thanks.
That would be "illegal" under the terms of the microFIT contract and risk having the contract cancelled.

P.S. Don't post the same question multiple times.
Oct 13, 2017
3 posts
I don't think you are right. Your capacity has to be limited to 10Kw but that can be accomplished by having inverters with a 10 kw limit. There are lots of installations with more than 10 Kw in solar panels all over Ontario enabling greater generation (within 10 Kw/hr) in the non-peak hours.

So, the question remains how one can divert the power generated in excess of 10Kw to a useful purpose such as NetMetering. Is anybody aware of such diversion device?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10441 posts
1905 upvotes
Kingston
SolarTanTan wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 8:20 pm
I don't think you are right. Your capacity has to be limited to 10Kw but that can be accomplished by having inverters with a 10 kw limit. There are lots of installations with more than 10 Kw in solar panels all over Ontario enabling greater generation (within 10 Kw/hr) in the non-peak hours.

So, the question remains how one can divert the power generated in excess of 10Kw to a useful purpose such as NetMetering. Is anybody aware of such diversion device?
Upon further review you are correct and the current contract allows a nameplate capacity of 10kW being the lessor of the solar panels or the inverter limit. Note that microFIT limits the equipment capacity to 10kW. The limit isn't 10kW of production, it is equipment capacity to produce up to 10kW.

Regaring your proposal to redirect power from your net metering system to your microFIT meter, you would be involving equipment with a total capacity of more than 10kW which is not acceptable under microFIT.

I suppose it might be better to have more of your panels hooked to a 10kW inverter (rather than net metering) but if you didn't have that as part of your original set up I doubt you can change it now. But only your contract and IESO could tell you for sure.
Nov 29, 2011
161 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Did you get payed yet? I haven't received Aug/Sept yet.
Aug 31, 2015
142 posts
28 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Last week I finally got a cheque for June-August. I spoke to them and they said that I should be getting my September statement and cheque shortly as they are pretty much back on schedule.
Nov 29, 2011
161 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Found out that they have had a lot of people missed since the new meters are not all on the new system yet.
Sep 20, 2015
34 posts
19 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
question - is rodent/squirrel protection mandatory for solar panels? IESO inspector did not approve panels saying it is mandatory.
Oct 17, 2017
3 posts
Yes, this is a new ESA (not IESO) requirement, for system safety.
See the bulletin here: https://www.esasafe.com/assets/files/es ... 64-4-0.pdf
You can skirt this requirement by installing SolarEdge inverter / power optimizers, which will reduce system voltage to 1V/panel in the event of a fault (i.e. a squirrel nibbling on your DC wiring)
As a bonus, your system would produce up to 5% better than a typical string inverter from day 1 and even more over time as panels degrade at different rates.
Oct 17, 2017
3 posts
Clarifying here - the microFIT definition of Nameplate Capacity:

Nameplate Capacity means the manufacturer’s total installed rated capacity of the microFIT
Project to generate electricity and, in the case of a solar (PV) facility, means the lesser of (i) the
manufacturer’s total installed rated capacity of the solar panels, and (ii) the manufacturer’s
specified maximum power output of the inverter(s), neither of which may be greater than 10 kW
and neither of which may be greater than 6 kW in the case of a Rooftop Solar Facility with a
project size tranche less than or equal to 6 kW

So, 10 kW is the limit, AC or DC.

If you have any questions contact me anytime - shael@anthemsolar.ca
Sep 20, 2015
34 posts
19 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
JWL wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 7:24 pm
Very very few of the installs discussed on this thread have the rodent/squirrel protection.
All is well. He backed off once he was informed about the proper code. My solar system went online today. 28 panels all facing south making up 10kWh system. I am happy how it all went.
Nov 29, 2011
161 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
OttawaGuy2 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 7:40 pm
question - is rodent/squirrel protection mandatory for solar panels? IESO inspector did not approve panels saying it is mandatory.
Maybe something has recently changed as they have not been mandatory in the past. I know for a fact that squirrels have caused at least one fire on a roof here in Toronto. I keep my trees trimmed so these little farts can't get on my roof.