Personal Finance

ONT ONLY - microFIT solar panel program: 10-14% return for 20 yrs * FAT LADY HAS SUNG

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 6:05 pm
Apr 3, 2015
21 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I can tell you that those little farts will walk right up the side of your house. The trees just make it a bit easier.

I have a squirrel guard on my system - IF it is well secured, then it will help, but in my case I've had to have it fixed twice in 5 years. The first one was put on with zip ties - the squirrels use those as dental floss and quickly got in. This was upgraded to metal fasteners. The 2nd time they found a way in at the top of the roof.

Once under the panels, they made a nice nest under the lowest row of panels up against the mesh of the guard. Perfect spot - nice and warm, protected from the weather. They filled it with leaves and bits of plastic bags. If I didn't have a guard they may not have been able to do that as the nest material would have just fallen off the roof.

Frankdee wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 8:37 pm
Maybe something has recently changed as they have not been mandatory in the past. I know for a fact that squirrels have caused at least one fire on a roof here in Toronto. I keep my trees trimmed so these little farts can't get on my roof.
Oct 18, 2017
1 posts
I'm a newbie here and looking to find a company that can do a turnkey setup and install for a MicroFit in the Orangeville/Mono area. I got a quote from a Toronto company that is in the low $30k range which seems very high to me. Since I'm working on a deadline of both my new house closing in December and the end of the program in December I need someone who can take the ball and run with it.

Any recommendations?
Jan 15, 2007
445 posts
32 upvotes
Does anybody know how the HST remittance works? I assume that the Hydro company pays $.28 plus HST, not $.28 inclusive of HST. Is that right?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10441 posts
1905 upvotes
Kingston
Skirby01 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 7:34 pm
Does anybody know how the HST remittance works? I assume that the Hydro company pays $.28 plus HST, not $.28 inclusive of HST. Is that right?
The Hydro company pays $.28 plus HST. Then you remit the HST (less any HST you've paid) to CRA.

Some tips on how to do HST reporting are HERE.
Aug 31, 2015
142 posts
28 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
October was not a great month for my production - 767kWh vs 813 and 831 the last two years.

Today winter pricing kicks in for electricity, at least for Toronto Hydro. It looks like the delta between peak and off-peak is lower than previously as it is now $0.067 vs more like 8 or 9 cents in the previous few years. That reduces the incentive for trying to arb the peak vs off-peak with something like a Tesla Powerwall.
Apr 5, 2010
90 posts
31 upvotes
Waterdown
Looking for a reputable guy/company that can remove & reinstall panels, for a fair price - in the St Catharine's area.
Have a friend that needs a roof redone.

Anyone have recommendations?
Dec 23, 2007
247 posts
28 upvotes
Hamilton
Got someone coming by from MicroFit on Thursday to go over the details. My home has good southern exposure so it should be good to go. What is this going to cost me and are there financing options or am I going to have to fork over 30k in one shot?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10441 posts
1905 upvotes
Kingston
flying triangle wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 11:55 am
Got someone coming by from MicroFit on Thursday to go over the details. My home has good southern exposure so it should be good to go. What is this going to cost me and are there financing options or am I going to have to fork over 30k in one shot?
Those people are NOT FROM microFIT. They don't do housecalls. If they are representing themselves as from microFIT they should not be trusted.

You can work with your bank on financing. A Home Equity Line of Credit is your best bet.

Don't get suckered into a "free solar" arrangement. Those are terrible deals.