Personal Finance

ONT ONLY - microFIT solar panel program: 10-14% return for 20 yrs * FAT LADY HAS SUNG

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2018 9:30 am
Aug 31, 2015
227 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Today is my sixth day with zero production - this may be the longest stretch I have ever had. Thank goodness we will have warm temps on Wednesday-Thursday and the snow should melt.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44892 posts
11567 upvotes
Wow, my system is showing signs of life today:

5 kW - 3 W (0% utilization)
3.8 kW - 82 W (2% utilization)

I guess as long as there is activity, it will heat up and melt and make the snow slip?
Nov 29, 2011
180 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I couldn't wait any longer and went up and cleaned it all off yesterday morning. Everything is working great today and am up to about 4kw at 10am. The snow was on there pretty thick but slid off in places like an avalanche. My wife could hear the snow hitting the ground from inside the house lol. Some panels are not optimal as there is some ice covering bits and pieces but that should melt and slide off as the sun comes around and gets higher this afternoon. I think this year will be better than last year but only slightly. We will have a more accurate indication by end of March to mid april.
Aug 31, 2015
227 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I don't think I have ever gone this long without producing any power - hopefully it will change tomorrow:
chart.png
Jan 15, 2018
11 posts
3 upvotes
I'm lucky that I can reach a few panels easily enough, what a difference it makes lately!
Images
  • Solar output after clearing snow off 13Feb18.PNG
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44892 posts
11567 upvotes
For $50 max of loss revenue, I will just wait for the bigger panel array to thaw.

It's not even going to be sunny the next few days in the GTA, what's the point? :)
Jan 4, 2010
70 posts
26 upvotes
Niagara Region
I don't really understand how you guys still are dealing with snow? My panels melted well by yesterday -- 52.27Kwh, and today I did 42.99 kWh
alanbrenton wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:48 pm
For $50 max of loss revenue, I will just wait for the bigger panel array to thaw.

It's not even going to be sunny the next few days in the GTA, what's the point? :)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44892 posts
11567 upvotes
Good for you. If you are not going to help clear my south facing panels, what's really the point of your post? :)
bfader101 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:12 pm
I don't really understand how you guys still are dealing with snow? My panels melted well by yesterday -- 52.27Kwh, and today I did 42.99 kWh
Jan 4, 2010
70 posts
26 upvotes
Niagara Region
8am sharp.

Sun did it for me.
alanbrenton wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:21 pm
Good for you. If you are not going to help clear my south facing panels, what's really the point of your post? :)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44892 posts
11567 upvotes
At least today, the (and tomorrow) snow/ice combo should start melting in time for some weekend sunshine.

I actually bought a ladder lock from costco and I have a 28 feet ladder in the backyard but like most people here said, it's probably not worth it unless the forecast calls for sunshine mostly throughout the next few weeks, which almost means temperatures below -10C which would keep snow/ice stuck to the panels.

I am wondering if my cordless leaf blower will be effective in creating some bald spots on the snow/ice filled solar panel. The one facing east does have a much steeper slope and it's harder to access the side of the house anyway.
Aug 31, 2015
227 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
The other thing that some folks have mentioned if using a hose and spraying with water if you still have water turned on. As of 9:45 I am starting to get a teeny bit of production so it looks like the snow is starting to melt on some panels. @bfader101 - Are your panels fairly steeply sloped? Yesterday mine were still completely snow covered and looking around the homes in my neighbourhood pretty much everyone still had lots of snow on the roof.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10639 posts
2045 upvotes
Kingston
If anyone decides to go up on a ladder and use a roof snow rake, take care on how much you pull towards yourself. You can get a LOT of snow sliding at you in a hurry and if it is dense or wet it could knock you and/or the ladder back. I've concluded that for me it isn't worth the amount of effort/risk required.
Mar 11, 2010
89 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
I got 0 (ZERO) Wh on Feb 10 & 11 in Mississauga
Feb 12: 349 Wh
Feb 13: 160 Wh
More warmer weather this week
Jan 4, 2010
70 posts
26 upvotes
Niagara Region
I do have an 8/12 pitch roof, which would certainly help. It does cake up there pretty good, but one day of sun generally clears it off pretty good
Aug 31, 2015
227 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I am finally getting a bit of production - I am up to a whopping 5kWh today! Things didn't start going until noon when the snow really started to melt - but at least I am no back in the electricity generation business.