Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15222 posts
2138 upvotes
Toronto

(ONT) Premier Ford Ending Drive Clean Test, April 1st

Edit: Updated information from the Ontario Government

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark ... -plan.html

The brakes are being slammed on the controversial Drive Clean auto emissions plan.

Premier Doug Ford announced Friday that as of April 1, the mandatory program would end for passenger cars and trucks.

Instead, the Progressive Conservative government will clamp down on big commercial polluters by enhancing the smog checks on transport trucks and other industrial vehicles.

“By ending Drive Clean tests and repairs for passenger vehicles, this government is reducing the burden on residents and families who own a car,” Ford said at a service garage on Martin Grove Rd.

“They no longer need to take time out of their days to take their vehicles in for unnecessary tests,” the premier said, adding the government will save $40 million a year.

That’s because the previous Liberal government eliminated the $30 test fees last year, but Queen’s Park still had to foot the tab.

Created by former Tory premier Mike Harris in 1999, Drive Clean has long been a bone of contention for motorists because most vehicles passed their emissions tests.

Successive PC and Liberal governments had resisted the temptation to halt the program because it annually kept 335 tonnes of pollutants out of the air.

Cars and trucks are responsible for one third of all greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.

Dealers Association, praised Ford for delivering “good news.”

“It cuts red tape, and saves time and money,” said Notte.

“What started out as a temporary program in 1999 to clean the environment, turned into a permanent program that eventually cleaned out taxpayers’ wallets instead.”

Transportation Minister John Yakabuski said details of the new anti-smog push for heavy-duty vehicles will be unveiled in the coming months.

“These changes will make a real, long-term difference for our air quality while respecting taxpayer dollars today,” he said.

Environment Minister Rod Phillips noted that over the past 19 years, Drive Clean has outgrown “its usefulness” because there was a steady annual decrease in the number of cars that failed tests.

Around 2 million vehicles are tested annually. In 2014, 135,000 cars and trucks failed the test.
Last edited by DaVibe on Feb 23rd, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RedFlagDeals addict
129 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2936 posts
1115 upvotes
The first test is free, cars that fail shouldn’t be on the road without the needed repairs.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48683 posts
14263 upvotes
I like the idea of testing non-public trucks that belch smoke every time the accelerator is depressed.

Businesses should maintain their vehicles if they want to carry on doing their deliveries in Ontario.

The Canadian Press, at 10:09 on September 28, 2018

TORONTO - The Ontario government says it is scrapping the Drive Clean vehicle emissions testing program and replacing it with a new system that will focus on heavy duty vehicles such as transport trucks.

The Progressive Conservative government says the Drive Clean program, which tests emissions every two years on cars and light-duty trucks over seven years old, is outdated and no longer effective.

The province says the program worked well when it was introduced in 1999 and but grew less useful as the automotive industry adopted more stringent emissions standards.

As a result, the government says, only five per cent of vehicles failed the test last year.

The Tories say a new program will be introduced to target emissions from heavy duty vehicles, which they say have weaker emissions standards and get replaced less frequently.

They say the proposed changes will be subject to a 30-day public consultation.
Aeroplan Miles Points for Sale -- only 1.5 cents per mile
aeroplan-miles-points-sale-only-1-5-cen ... #p30504516
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8269 posts
927 upvotes
Good! The program was a joke (especially when they switched to odb only).

I went recently to get a test to renew stickers with a broken exhaust. I had gaping holes just after the cat and the car sounded like a hot rod. Rumbled in to the center, plugged in, and passed with flying colors because it's odb reading only. :S

For the record, I have since put in a new exhaust.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14644 posts
1045 upvotes
Markham
Media gonna spin this according to their narrative
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9913 posts
3993 upvotes
Brampton
Sweet.

I can't wait to see the new program for private heavy duty trucks.

I'd also like to see strict enforcement of the speed limiters and safety checks on trucks.
Daily I see 18 wheelers on the 400 doing 120+ and this year alone I've seen 2 tire blow outs on 18 wheelers on the 404. Heck we got 2 threads on cars getting hit with debris in the last month.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9672 posts
2140 upvotes
Markham
Great decision for PC government.
First, Liberal gov make the test for all cars that are 7 yrs and older to pass the test every 2 yrs and make us pay for it, then they said they waive the fee. Garage and the Drive clean facility staff is not doing voluntary work there, someone will still pay for the E-Tests. Guess who is paying for it then, tax payers, means ourselves!

It makes sense that now only the commercial trucks are require for it. They run on the road all day long, those are the vehicles that's needs to ensure that they aren't pollute the city by running around all day/night long,
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15222 posts
2138 upvotes
Toronto
The program didn't bother me because at some point, we gotta try and crack down on pollution.
It was a shame that we had to pay for it for so long (is now covered by the government) but I also don't believe in the free-for-all we are now going to allow.

These types of restrictions were not unique to Ontario either, these types of things are done all around the world.

Even a small amount of pollution, multiplied by the amount of cars turns into a lot.

I have actually owned cars that have failed the test. Just saying.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48683 posts
14263 upvotes
I thought we only had to spend a maximum of $450 (not sure if every two years or one -time) and if it still failed emissions testing, we can drive the car but not sell it? I understand how that helps low income seniors or households driving 1990's and prior models who can't afford to buy newer cars but that rule shouldn't apply to middle class households who can afford slightly newer autos. If it won't pass at reasonable costs, then scrap it.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Sep 28th, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeroplan Miles Points for Sale -- only 1.5 cents per mile
aeroplan-miles-points-sale-only-1-5-cen ... #p30504516
Jan 1, 2013
941 posts
337 upvotes
Durham
The Libs made it "free" by adding it to your sticker renewals. Don't be fooled.

Like one poster said, the OBD test is stupid. Does nothing to prevent emissions. Heck, on my last car I was allowed 2 "not ready" and an EVAP system engine light. So I reset the light, hooked up good old Torque app and drove until I had the 2 not ready's on, went in and passed the test, got my sticker and light came back on the next day.

If anything the tail sniffer was the better option. But these days its not the cars, it is the commercial trucks out there.
Kevin Khan
Mortgage Agent
Valor Financial (#13114)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6810 posts
2720 upvotes
Great, I previously had to reset the ECU and keep my gas tank topped off to prevent the evap fuel leak CEL from going off for the emissions test. It was a bit time-consuming.

Except, cars with more serious emissions problems than mine probably shouldn't be on the road.