• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2017 3:12 pm
[OP]
Aug 17, 2009
619 posts
299 upvotes

Ont. School Board: Mind your costume, this Hallo'ween

What not to wear this Hallo'ween.

Anybody remember when we didn't used to be so sensitive? I used to love dressing as a cowboy or a soldier, but I'm not sure if it would be okay, nowadays. :(
46 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1822 posts
220 upvotes
In another world
Unfortunately society is becoming more selfe aware of what may be offensive or what may not be, thanks to people complaining or suing because they get offended, taking the fun out of the Halloween (or Mardi Gras) equation.

Maybe in a non distant future people won't be able to dress up as witches because witches become offended.
[OP]
Aug 17, 2009
619 posts
299 upvotes
The cheapest way to get a Halloween costume many years ago, was to cut two holes in a clean old bed sheet and make a ghost outfit. I shudder at the thought of that being done today.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
I used to go to school in whiteface as a vampire back when I was a kid. That would probably get me expelled these days.

I feel bad for school kids growing up now. They have to wear the most bland stuff possible and can't do anything nearly as fun as dressing up as video game characters, legendary monsters, etc. A Dhalsim or Chun Li costume would be banned by this school board, as would something like a mummy.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1213 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
I don't go out of my way to dress up as Halloween but if I do I'll make sure to wear the most offensive thing possible. As for what my kids are wearing I let them wear whatever they want. My daughter for example wanted something related to Paw Patrol. Even if it was something that censoring idiots considered offensive, I'd still let her wear it, and gladly let them hear it if they wanted to push this nanny-like censor fetish upon me and my family.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1545 posts
672 upvotes
Hamilton
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:55 am
I don't go out of my way to dress up as Halloween but if I do I'll make sure to wear the most offensive thing possible. As for what my kids are wearing I let them wear whatever they want. My daughter for example wanted something related to Paw Patrol. Even if it was something that censoring idiots considered offensive, I'd still let her wear it, and gladly let them hear it if they wanted to push this nanny-like censor fetish upon me and my family.
You're going to go as a straight white rich male?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:19 am
Nice!

but you can remove the 'rich' part from that since if you are white and male you must therefore be rich.
Sep 15, 2010
594 posts
185 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
Dpack22 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:19 am
Ahh even here on redflagdeals white men get attacked for being..well...white.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1462 posts
776 upvotes
Personally I don't have a problem with this policy... With the multiculturalism found in today's schools I strongly beleve no one should be made to feel inferior / unwelcome because of their race (equates to emotional bullying)

NOTE - maybe time for a bit of history, and to reflect upon it.

October 31st's celebration is to mark All Hallowed Evening the night before All Saints Day (Nov 1st) and All Souls Day (Nov 2nd) ... when Christians, particularly Catholics pray for the dead to be raised into heaven

Halloween is a fun celebration that combines together some multi sourced Autumn Festivals (religious & not) with a bit of fun ... The idea of the dead being raised gave rise to the concepts of Ghosts, Witches, Goblins, Mummies, Zombies etc that are popular Halloween themes & costumes.

Things over time branched out from there to where we are today... Tv & Movie Characters, Celebrities, Politicians... And anyone or anything that is is part of popular culture. And that s where things tend to get a bit tricky ... Although to be fair, Halloween Costumes have always been a bit Controversial and had people questioning good taste (was so in the 1960s as much as it is now)

As an aside:

All Hallowed Evening / Hallowed Even is shortened to Halloween or Hallowe'en
The apostrophe serves as it does in any contraction... In this case omitting the D in Hallowed and EV in Even
Modern spelling leaves out the apostrophe for the contraction, but either are correct.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13919 posts
882 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:51 am
I used to go to school in whiteface as a vampire back when I was a kid. That would probably get me expelled these days.

I feel bad for school kids growing up now. They have to wear the most bland stuff possible and can't do anything nearly as fun as dressing up as video game characters, legendary monsters, etc. A Dhalsim or Chun Li costume would be banned by this school board, as would something like a mummy.
All the examples you used as being banned would not be banned as they are not generic stereotypes, you're dressed as a specific character.
The Viamonde school district's guidelines also address what could be an appropriate costume, which includes animals, fictional and imaginary characters, and creative costumes, such as a surfing shark or a purple-coloured Martian.
An example of something that would not be okay, would be a generic asian person, using all the stereotypes associated with that. Chun Li in your example of what would be banned is a specific character, so it's not banned.

A general rule of thumb is if you're dressing as a culture or race. Not okay. IMHO dressing as a stereotype is the most bland uncreative thing you can dress as anyway.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Ojam wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 5:41 am
All the examples you used as being banned would not be banned as they are not generic stereotypes, you're dressed as a specific character.

An example of something that would not be okay, would be a generic asian person, using all the stereotypes associated with that. Chun Li in your example of what would be banned is a specific character, so it's not banned.

A general rule of thumb is if you're dressing as a culture or race. Not okay. IMHO dressing as a stereotype is the most bland uncreative thing you can dress as anyway.
So we can dress as characters...so it would be ok to dress as Zwarte Piet, St. Nicholas' black faced companion in German folklore? Would it be ok to dress as him even though he wears black face?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23376 posts
1100 upvotes
Markham, ON
so my son can't wear a suit with the title of Chief Operating Officer as a costume?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
Ojam wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 5:41 am
But those characters are highly stereotypical. If they're acceptable, where's the line? What if I was to dress as a similar character that's well-known to fans, but not to the general public?

If some kids went to school as Korra or Aang and the teacher didn't know those characters, would they be sent home for depicting an Eskimo girl or Tibetan monk?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8307 posts
1797 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I am ok with some of this, but they took it overboard. There is nothing wrong with a child from one culture to wear another culture's national clothing. Ex. White/Black child wearing turban, etc. If anything this shows respect for other cultures.

On the other hand wearing a costume of terrorist, cowboy, etc. may be a bit much, due to sensitivity of these topics