• Oct 30th, 2017 3:12 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1569 posts
685 upvotes
Hamilton
Andro wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:58 am
I am ok with some of this, but they took it overboard. There is nothing wrong with a child from one culture to wear another culture's national clothing. Ex. White/Black child wearing turban, etc. If anything this shows respect for other cultures.

On the other hand wearing a costume of terrorist, cowboy, etc. may be a bit much, due to sensitivity of these topics
I myself have always been offended by cowboys after Brokeback Mountain.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8312 posts
1800 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Dpack22 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:10 am
I myself have always been offended by cowboys after Brokeback Mountain.
There is nothing offensive about that movie. However, I am offended that you are offended by it
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1569 posts
685 upvotes
Hamilton
Andro wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:11 am
There is nothing offensive about that movie. However, I am offended that you are offended by it
I am offended that you're offended by my offence of the movie. #triggered
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:55 am
I don't go out of my way to dress up as Halloween but if I do I'll make sure to wear the most offensive thing possible. As for what my kids are wearing I let them wear whatever they want. My daughter for example wanted something related to Paw Patrol. Even if it was something that censoring idiots considered offensive, I'd still let her wear it, and gladly let them hear it if they wanted to push this nanny-like censor fetish upon me and my family.
So as a Nazi in ss uniform with gas mask?

Ya this is why there needs to be a policy to prevent such costumes or even ones like cowboys with Indian heads or just dressing up as blackface with afro or yellow skin Chinese or the worse one I've seen is someone dressing up as terrorist which consisted of a towel on their head. Disgusting

Many parents don't have basic decency or respect for others so boards need to do this to maintain a safe and welcoming space for all students of all backgrounds
Last edited by MrWhiteCoffee on Oct 13th, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:24 am

Ya this is why there needs to be a policy to prevent such costumes or even ones like cowboys with Indian heads or just dressing up as blackface with afro or yellow skin Chinese or the worse one I've seen is someone dressing up as terrorist with a towel on their head. Disgusting

Many parents don't have basic decency or respect for others so boards need to do this to maintain a safe and welcoming space for all students of all backgrounds
I'm going to dress like a Social Justice Warrior this year! Blue hair, pot belly, fake piercings, neck beard, Che t-shirt. All of it! Make shrieking sounds when I see white people and hiss about their oppressive nature. Very scary.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
eldeejay wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:43 am
I'm going to dress like a Social Justice Warrior this year! Blue hair, pot belly, fake piercings, neck beard, Che t-shirt. All of it! Make shrieking sounds when I see white people and hiss about their oppressive nature. Very scary.
That's a lot better than blackface afro, towel on your head to be a terrorist or yellowskin and squinty eyes or cowboy with Indian Head

So all good and you can participate in the costume parade! Not sure if you'll win though

But I don't think basic human decency is exclusive to social justice warriors
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8312 posts
1800 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:

Ya this is why there needs to be a policy to prevent such costumes or even ones like cowboys with Indian heads or just dressing up as blackface with afro or yellow skin Chinese or the worse one I've seen is someone dressing up as terrorist which consisted of a towel on their head. Disgusting

Agreed.
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:

Its no one else's fault you lack a sense of humor. But I wish you the best of luck in your oppressive endeavors.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:43 pm
Its no one else's fault you lack a sense of humor. But I wish you the best of luck in your oppressive endeavors.
The just kidding bro defence I see.

Slap a female coworker's butt and catcall and say it's just a joke. See an Arab or Muslim and ask if they've seen bin laden and say just joking

This behavior should not be encouraged in kids
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:02 pm

Slap a female coworker's butt and catcall and say it's just a joke. See an Arab or Muslim and ask if they've seen bin laden and say just joking

Haha. Where did I say slapping someone on the ass was okay? We were talking about Halloween costumes.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26268 posts
6093 upvotes
GTHA
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:35 am
so my son can't wear a suit with the title of Chief Operating Officer as a costume?
Wrong school board
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:10 pm
Haha. Where did I say slapping someone on the ass was okay? We were talking about Halloween costumes.
Where's your sense of humour? Just a light slap on the bum as a joke like wearing a Nazi uniform or towel on your head and say you're in a terrorist costume
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:02 pm

There is a massive difference between saying certain things should not be done or encouraged and advocating for the government to prohibit them. The government should not be a tool used to micromanage social interactions.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4785 posts
917 upvotes
Mississauga
I think also, when people marry into different cultures and wear attire of said culture for the special day, it should also be considered offensive.

Let's not be hypocritical about appropriation. If such is not allowed for Hallowe'en, it should not be allowed for weddings and such.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
If I can dress as a character can I dress as Kirk Lazarus from Tropic Thunder?