• Oct 30th, 2017 3:12 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2730 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
silky28 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:36 pm
There is a massive difference between saying certain things should not be done or encouraged and advocating for the government to prohibit them. The government should not be a tool used to micromanage social interactions.
Justin Trudeau would say this is a perfect example of racism in action. Criticism is raaaycisss!!!! Hsssssssssssssss. Sorry I'm already getting in character. #WWJustinD?
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
"Does it allude to a culture that is not the child's own, such as a kimono, a turban or a feather headdress?"

Is this a joke? Kids dressing up in culturally significant costumes isn't a bad thing. The problem was always drunk people with stupid costumes and "sexy native girl" costumes that took someone's culture and distilled it down to a cheap product on store shelves. Political correctness has run amok if we're policing children's costumes now...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2737 posts
297 upvotes
Ottawa
hugh_da_man wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 3:05 pm
[..] Political correctness has run amok if we're policing children's costumes now...
Speaking of policing, can kids still dress up as police officers, or is that now verboten as it is a "sign of oppression"?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 4:04 pm
Speaking of policing, can kids still dress up as police officers, or is that now verboten as it is a "sign of oppression"?
Probably not. Police uniforms are a form of micro-aggression.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15609 posts
4372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:55 am
I don't go out of my way to dress up as Halloween but if I do I'll make sure to wear the most offensive thing possible. As for what my kids are wearing I let them wear whatever they want. My daughter for example wanted something related to Paw Patrol. Even if it was something that censoring idiots considered offensive, I'd still let her wear it, and gladly let them hear it if they wanted to push this nanny-like censor fetish upon me and my family.
I like the cut of your jib
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2737 posts
297 upvotes
Ottawa
AndySixx wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:55 am
I don't go out of my way to dress up as Halloween but if I do I'll make sure to wear the most offensive thing possible. As for what my kids are wearing I let them wear whatever they want. My daughter for example wanted something related to Paw Patrol. Even if it was something that censoring idiots considered offensive, I'd still let her wear it, and gladly let them hear it if they wanted to push this nanny-like censor fetish upon me and my family.
Combine a "Coneheads" costume with a generic ghost costume. Independently, each costume is ok. Combined, it's horribly offensive!
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1161 posts
117 upvotes
Logtown
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 4:27 pm
Combine a "Coneheads" costume with a generic ghost costume. Independently, each costume is ok. Combined, it's horribly offensive!
Not offensive, but the last time I went out for Halloween a buddy of mine lost the rest of his Freddy Kreuger costume, only keeping his mask, so put on a doctors coat complete w/stethoscope and became Dr. Freddy. Good times.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3936 posts
522 upvotes
Aurora
There should be a counterpoint article titled "I don't give a SH1T if my costume offends you. End point".
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 1:44 pm
I read this in today's Metro: "Your costume offends me; it really is that simple: Kabatay" It was written seriously. Please do read it. I have no words ....
article wrote:And worse, they don’t seem to care. None of these costumes being sold have any connections to Indigenous culture whatsoever. The “Native princess” concept isn’t real, and grossly over sexualizes Indigenous women who have been at the brunt of this type of violence for centuries, and continue to be today.

Growing up, we dressed in costumes influenced by pop culture and cartoons — not cultures or ethnic groups. It was monsters and princesses; works of fiction.
Dress up as fictional European princess: Completely fine!
Dress up as fictional native princess: NOT OKAY YOU BIGOT

It's good that we can live in a time where consistent, logical rules apply equally to everyone.
kenchau wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:37 pm
I think also, when people marry into different cultures and wear attire of said culture for the special day, it should also be considered offensive.

Let's not be hypocritical about appropriation. If such is not allowed for Hallowe'en, it should not be allowed for weddings and such.
I really hope this is sarcasm, because it makes no sense whatsoever. If my girlfriend decides to wear a sari when we get married and I decide to wear a changshan it will not be offensive in the slightest. Insinuating that it would be just says that nobody should ever try to respect their partner's culture or take part in it.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Aug 17, 2009
608 posts
296 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 6:28 pm
Dress up as fictional European princess: Completely fine!
Dress up as fictional native princess: NOT OKAY YOU BIGOT

It's good that we can live in a time where consistent, logical rules apply equally to everyone.
Actually, no. According to "some", going as a fictional European princess promotes "white beauty." See here article. For those of you with kids taking them out trick or treating, this year, be careful that they are not harassed by some of these SJWs.