[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
1956 posts
568 upvotes
Ontario
don242 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:48 am
Server comes to your table, takes your order, drops off some utensils, appetizers and then brings food. Checks back once or twice to refill drinks or make sure everything is ok. Picks up some of the finished plates, brings a coffee or desert, maybe brings a tray for leftovers, and then brings bill. Good job. They have done their job. Is this not expected of them regardless? Why does doing their job require a tip? Just brainwashed here to think you have to tip like they do in the US.

Again, if someone goes above and beyond, then sure, makes sense to leave a little something extra. But this goes for any job, not just a server.

There are plenty of minimum wage jobs where people deal with the public and are on their feet all day at a high pace, and they don't get tips. What makes a server at a restaurant so special that they seem to think they are entitled to a tip?
Let me answer your question with a simple response, there is nothing special!

Same goes for hairdresser, taxi, bell boy (hotel luggage). They're all doing their jobs, some are even entrepreneurs (hair/taxi). If you're normal pay isn't good enough, sorry customers are not a charity.
May 23, 2014
833 posts
417 upvotes
canada
Liberal and lifetime financially irresponsible people whining about minimum wage are going to hang themselves in the long run by INCENTIVIZING employers to just buy robots or virtual siri, Alexa's. keep asking for minimum wage hikes.

And the rest of you can enjoy longer lineups, forcing more people to buy from amazon, wow I wouldn't be surprised if amazon was putting in lots of
Cash lobbying for minimum wage to be hiked everywhere.. 5-6 chess moves ahead,
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17201 posts
1238 upvotes
Niagara Falls
thesick wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:07 pm
Liberal and lifetime financially irresponsible people whining about minimum wage are going to hang themselves in the long run by INCENTIVIZING employers to just buy robots or virtual siri, Alexa's. keep asking for minimum wage hikes.

And the rest of you can enjoy longer lineups, forcing more people to buy from amazon, wow I wouldn't be surprised if amazon was putting in lots of
Cash lobbying for minimum wage to be hiked everywhere.. 5-6 chess moves ahead,
oh please. Like corporations weren't going to just buy robots anyways.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1573 posts
190 upvotes
I hate tipping but end up tipping when with friends..don't want to be a outcast but none of these people deserve a tip.
May 23, 2014
833 posts
417 upvotes
canada
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:09 pm
oh please. Like corporations weren't going to just buy robots anyways.
This sped it up by 35 years. You got on any insight and documents showing they were going to do it anytime soon? Your lack of saying anything else shows you got no argument, you were probably in a long lineup, I get it. Fight for $20 is next

I Can't wait for all the complainers to apply to my commissioned based job postings 5 years from now. Where they work for 0.03 per email replied to.

Hopefully basic free wage for allnever becomes a thing .
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22397 posts
2850 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 9:42 am
Tipping should be abolished. It's a North American-only concept.
If that were true (it isn't), shouldn't you instead abolish yourself from North America?
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:08 am
My cousin was a waitress. She would rack up $100 in tips alone on weekdays and up to $300 on busy days (friday, saturday). TIPS ALONE!
Disgusting. For doing their jobs. Servers literally make 3000-4000$ a month in tips ALONE, so about 50k.
Yes it's "disgusting" that anyone doing hard work should make any money at all. Instead they should all be busting their asses in an office or warehouse all day making peanuts so someone else can get rich :rolleyes: Mind you $3-4k a month isn't exactly getting rich either but at least it's better than the alternative.

I can never, for the life of me, understand why people think that hard working "regular" people shouldn't make some kind of money. Instead they should all be making min. wage, struggling to make ends meet, while the rich get richer :facepalm: I guess everyone at RFD is an executive at a big company making more money on New Year's Day than most people make in a year...and anyone making more than scraps is threatening them buying that 3rd or 4th house this year or whatever, so oh noes, we can't have that :rolleyes:

Or maybe it's a jealously thing, I dunno. So maybe you guys are the ones working your asses off making $35k in a warehouse and are simply jealous of someone making more in the service industry. But trust me that kind of thinking doesn't get anyone anywhere either.

Does the $14 min. wage affect my tipping? Hell no? Why should it? Because I want to pass some judgement on what someone else is making so I can decide whether I should tip them or not? This is no different from someone seeing a server drive into work in a BMW or something, while you drive a Civic...you go into the restaurant and see the guy/girl working their behind off, dealing with jerk customers, while still having a smile on their face and being friendly and doing a good job...but then you decide "nah man I'm not gonna tip this person, they already drive a Bimmer!" :rolleyes: Get a life.

All these tipping threads make me so angry I swear. The cheapos against tipping should either just admit they are cheap, jealous, or rude, and not bring all this other crap into the equation..."but but but they are making too much already..." or admit they're just trying to keep the rich richer and the poor poorer. Who the hell cares what they're making? Do you guys also go out and buy Christmas gifts for friends/family and be like "oh this person makes $60k so I only need to spend $20 on them; but this other person makes $25k so I should spend $75 on them"? What people make judgemental decisions like that? That's what's disgusting if you ask me--these threads where the cheapskates, chip-on-shoulder types, etc. all come out of the woodwork to find every reason not to tip or to give really low tips. I'm honestly surprised there's not a thread titled "Will the recent continued low temperatures impact your tipping?" and then have a bunch of people explain why it's too cold to tip and how they need the money to keep warm and the temperature in that restaurant was way warmer than their own house; so, you know, since the restaurant can spend money on the heating bill, these people don't need to tip or tip as much all of a sudden :rolleyes: What?

Oh and if you have a problem with tipping being a "Canadian thing" or a "North American thing", or a "western thing"...guess what? You're probably free to go elsewhere if you'd like. I mean I'm sure in some countries/cultures it's okay to beat your wife too, and maybe it's just a "Canadian thing" that you aren't allowed to do that (and trust me I've heard this garbage from people before)...does that mean we should "aboloish" customs and laws about that kind of thing? Or does it mean you, not liking that, should just go/go back to wherever the customs you prefer are practiced?
Dec 25, 2004
590 posts
22 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:11 pm
Just like how there's no need to feel sorry for servers. They can also make something of their situation and get a higher paying job. No need to complain when they don't get the amount of tips they expect, and yes, it is an expectation. If they don't like it, change it.
You’re just making something up. Have any servers here been complaining? A few of us are defending why we tip, others are whining about how we shouldn’t. Just don’t tip if you don’t want to, complaining about it is likely because you know you should, feel bad about it and feel cheap... because you are, otherwise you’d do it and not think twice.
Dec 25, 2004
590 posts
22 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:21 am
Damn right pretty boy. Roll up yer sleeves
Wild guess... you don’t make much money and you’re mad at people that have it “easier” than you. This is where you lie and tell us how rich you are! You’re the stereotype for jealousy, judging others, sad. How can you be mad at people for making a living? You may want to try it. Write your supreme leader south of the border, maybe he can help you.
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
1463 posts
1116 upvotes
Toronto Gamblers wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 8:00 am
Wild guess... you don’t make much money and you’re mad at people that have it “easier” than you. This is where you lie and tell us how rich you are! You’re the stereotype for jealousy, judging others, sad. How can you be mad at people for making a living? You may want to try it. Write your supreme leader south of the border, maybe he can help you.
Well, I guess it goes both ways. You are pretending to be a tipper, while in fact you are one of them crybaby servers who is fearful of being out of work and replaced.

Get on with the program. Most people don't like tipping and something will be done about this.

I am judging, yes. I think in stinks that there is this pressure of showing off at the dinner table of who is going to leave a tip. It has nothing to do with service. It is a revolting practice. Just look at you and your attitude about being a great tipper.

No.

Where I live when people go to a restaurant and they are paying for it they already expect the service to be decent. There is no pressure of who is going to leave the biggest tip and you are not going to be called a Cheap Charlie because some people in the group will think less of you because you didn't tip 20%. Pathetic!

Anyhoo.... thanks for the interest in my financial situation. I work 2 hours a day and live in my hot 30 something Asian wife's house for free. As if I would ever be able to do this in broke ass Canada. The money I saved on tips alone will buy me a nice condo on the beach.

FYI, I am not jealous of people making tips. I have mentioned I wouldn't be against a service charge of 15 or 20% for a restaurant food. Just make it fair for everyone. If the service is bad there are other ways to deal with this. We live in the 21st century. Leave an online review and get on with your life.

Now, please, please ask me why I post on a Canadian coupon clipping web site when I don't even live in Canada.

Please. I know you want to.....
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4903 posts
905 upvotes
Singh_21 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 3:14 pm
I hate tipping but end up tipping when with friends..don't want to be a outcast but none of these people deserve a tip.
Very slippery slope when you use the word “deserve”. I could say you don’t deserve your full salary because you don’t work hard every single minute.

I just see it as people looking down on others. There’s an air of superiority I get from some of the responses here.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4903 posts
905 upvotes
Toronto Gamblers wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 8:00 am
Yep. Can read them like a book. Jealousy is what it is.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4903 posts
905 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 8:22 am
Well, I guess it goes both ways. You are pretending to be a tipper, while in fact you are one of them crybaby servers who is fearful of being out of work and replaced.

Get on with the program. Most people don't like tipping and something will be done about this.

I am judging, yes. I think in stinks that there is this pressure of showing off at the dinner table of who is going to leave a tip. It has nothing to do with service. It is a revolting practice. Just look at you and your attitude about being a great tipper.

No.

Where I live when people go to a restaurant and they are paying for it they already expect the service to be decent. There is no pressure of who is going to leave the biggest tip and you are not going to be called a Cheap Charlie because some people in the group will think less of you because you didn't tip 20%. Pathetic!

Anyhoo.... thanks for the interest in my financial situation. I work 2 hours a day and live in my hot 30 something Asian wife's house for free. As if I would ever be able to do this in broke ass Canada. The money I saved on tips alone will buy me a nice condo on the beach.

FYI, I am not jealous of people making tips. I have mentioned I wouldn't be against a service charge of 15 or 20% for a restaurant food. Just make it fair for everyone. If the service is bad there are other ways to deal with this. We live in the 21st century. Leave an online review and get on with your life.

Now, please, please ask me why I post on a Canadian coupon clipping web site when I don't even live in Canada.

Please. I know you want to.....
Pressure? LMAO

No one is telling you to tip for bad service. I don’t tip, I tell the manager.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5146 posts
1063 upvotes
Mississauga
Toronto Gamblers wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 7:54 am
You’re just making something up. Have any servers here been complaining? A few of us are defending why we tip, others are whining about how we shouldn’t. Just don’t tip if you don’t want to, complaining about it is likely because you know you should, feel bad about it and feel cheap... because you are, otherwise you’d do it and not think twice.
I see servers complain all the time when they don't get a decent tip. I see them post photos of the poorly tipped bill on Facebook. So my point remains valid that if they are going to complain, then they should go further themselves and get a higher paying job. Else, don't complain.

Furthermore, if there is a thread discussing the topic and concept of tipping, much like there can be a thread about anything else, why can't people (like yourself) act like an adult and have an open conversation about it.

People have made very valid points about some issues within the concept of tipping and examples of the inequality. But there's always your type that just comes in and calls people cheap, or says move elsewhere, etc. Not able to actually discuss a topic.

Thanks for coming out. Move along.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4903 posts
905 upvotes
Dynasty12345 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 1:37 pm
Let me answer your question with a simple response, there is nothing special!

Same goes for hairdresser, taxi, bell boy (hotel luggage). They're all doing their jobs, some are even entrepreneurs (hair/taxi). If you're normal pay isn't good enough, sorry customers are not a charity.
And workers are not your damn slaves. You probably wave your hand for the bill like a maniac.
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
1463 posts
1116 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 9:07 am
Yep. Can read them like a book. Jealousy is what it is.
Nope.

I am jealous of government workers and their generous benefits and pensions. Perhaps I'm a little jealous of TTC employees. I ain't Jesus of soon to be unemployed, unskilled and replaceable waiters. They don't affect me.

What affects me is tipping. I don't like it for reasons I mentioned many times.