Personal Finance

Ontario $14 impact on your tipping?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2018 10:04 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 23, 2009
1052 posts
213 upvotes
BTW, Brookfield have been serving me, the shareholder, very well so don’t mind extra tip that you mentioned.
6060842 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 10:26 am
Really?

Rank Company Title Name Base Salary Other Compensation † Total Compensation

1 Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc CEO Joseph Papa * $1,299,990 $81,831,262 $83,131,252
2 Magna International Inc CEO Donald Walker * $430,781 $28,183,681 $28,614,462
3 Rogers Communications Inc Former President & CEO Guy Laurence $1,029,711 $23,573,282 $24,602,993
4 Macdonald Dettwiler & Associates Ltd Former President & CEO Daniel Friedmann $266,831 $21,160,422 $21,427,253
5 Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd CEO Hunter Harrison $2,904,595 $15,925,199 $18,829,794
6 Thomson Reuters Corp President & CEO James Smith * $2,109,541 $15,667,917 $17,777,458
7 Encana Corp President & CEO Doug Suttles * $1,370,511 $16,221,594 $17,592,105
8 CCL Industries Inc President & CEO Geoffrey Martin $1,313,760 $16,056,422 $17,370,182
9 Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc Former CEO J. Michael Pearson * $887,104 $14,984,687 $15,871,791
10 Waste Connections Inc CEO & Chairman Ronald Mittelstaedt * $1,284,390 $14,570,270 $15,854,660
11 Manulife Financial Corp President & CEO Donald Guloien $1,803,437 $13,577,618 $15,381,055
12 Linamar Corp CEO Linda Hasenfratz $618,431 $14,023,043 $14,641,474
13 Waste Connections Inc Former President & CEO, Progressive Waste Joseph D. Quarin * $86,034 $14,106,756 $14,192,790
14 Telus Corp President & CEO Darren Entwistle $1,375,000 $11,530,331 $12,905,331
15 Bank of Nova Scotia Group Head, International Banking & Digital Transformation Ignacio Deschamps $524,686 $12,227,722 $12,752,408
16 Bombardier Inc President & CEO Alain Bellemare * $1,381,415 $11,196,594 $12,578,009
17 Royal Bank of Canada President & CEO David McKay $1,466,667 $10,778,726 $12,245,393
18 Cott Corporation CEO Jerry Fowden * $1,193,054 $10,938,703 $12,131,757
19 Linamar Corp Chairman Frank Hasenfratz $446,064 $11,551,891 $11,997,955
20 Canadian Natural Resources Ltd Exec Chair N. Murray Edwards $1 $11,893,925 $11,893,926
21 CGI Group Inc President & CEO Michael Roach $1,373,000 $10,448,659 $11,821,659
22 CGI Group Inc Founder & Exec Serge Godin $1,373,000 $10,442,999 $11,815,999
23 Bank of Nova Scotia President & CEO Brian Porter $1,000,000 $10,763,714 $11,763,714
24 Canadian National Railway Co Former President & CEO Claude Mongeau $1,457,280 $10,122,786 $11,580,066
25 Agrium Inc President & CEO Charles Magro * $1,496,304 $10,026,084 $11,522,388
26 Suncor Energy Inc President & CEO Steven Williams $1,375,000 $10,107,343 $11,482,343
27 Enbridge Inc President & CEO Al Monaco $1,377,000 $10,014,427 $11,391,427
28 TFI International Inc President & CEO Alain Bedard $1,742,112 $9,616,501 $11,358,613
29 Quebecor Inc President & CEO Pierre Dion $1,300,000 $9,998,655 $11,298,655
30 Barrick Gold Corp Executive Chairman John Thornton * $3,313,700 $7,955,794 $11,269,494
31 Power Financial Corp President & CEO Jeffrey Orr $4,450,000 $6,773,367 $11,223,367
32 Shaw Communications Inc Executive Chair James Robert Shaw $1,355,682 $9,852,569 $11,208,251
33 Endeavour Mining Corp Former CEO Neil Woodyer * $795,369 $10,167,578 $10,962,947
34 Linamar Corp President & COO Jim Jarrell $480,569 $10,364,126 $10,844,695
35 BCE Inc President & CEO, BCE & Bell George Cope $1,400,000 $9,361,529 $10,761,529
36 Agnico Eagle Mines Ltd Vice-Chair & CEO Sean Boyd * $1,550,732 $9,199,149 $10,749,881
37 Bank of Montreal CEO William Downe $1,987,650 $8,653,658 $10,641,308
38 Aecon Group Inc Former President & CEO Terrance L. McKibbon $689,555 $9,870,233 $10,559,788
39 Onex Corporation CEO Gerald Schwartz $1,723,124 $8,763,565 $10,486,689
40 Toronto-Dominion Bank President & CEO Bharat Masrani $1,000,000 $9,343,954 $10,343,954
41 Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc President & CEO Brian Hannasch $1,587,353 $8,673,347 $10,260,700
42 Transcanada Corp President & CEO Russell Girling $1,300,008 $8,838,014 $10,138,022
43 Celestica Inc President & CEO Robert A. Mionis * $1,126,773 $8,794,228 $9,921,001
44 Teck Resources Ltd President & CEO Donald Lindsay $1,493,500 $8,050,980 $9,544,480
45 Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce CEO Victor Dodig $1,000,000 $8,191,750 $9,191,750
46 Open Text Corp CEO & CTO Mark Barrenechea $1,251,142 $7,795,728 $9,046,870
47 Sun Life Financial Inc President & CEO Dean Connor $1,076,923 $7,926,771 $9,003,694
48 Air Canada President & CEO Calin Rovinescu $1,400,000 $7,599,225 $8,999,225
49 Kinross Gold Corp President & CEO Paul Rollinson * $1,283,383 $7,063,037 $8,346,420
50 Goldcorp Inc President & CEO David Garofalo $1,250,000 $7,069,888 $8,319,888
51 Canadian National Railway Co President & CEO Luc Jobin $1,106,208 $7,195,958 $8,302,166
52 Canadian Natural Resources Ltd President Steve Laut $567,000 $7,672,154 $8,239,154
53 Shaw Communications Inc President Jay Mehr $1,491,250 $6,697,816 $8,189,066
54 Restaurant Brands International Inc CEO Daniel Schwartz $1,060,384 $7,123,120 $8,183,504
55 National Bank of Canada President & CEO Louis Vachon $1,125,015 $6,990,168 $8,115,183
56 Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce Group Head, CMO Harry Culham $500,000 $7,552,550 $8,052,550
57 Cenovus Energy Inc President & CEO Brian Ferguson $1,350,000 $6,691,460 $8,041,460
58 Fortis Inc President & CEO Barry Perry $1,100,000 $6,906,611 $8,006,611
59 Eldorado Gold Corp President & CEO Paul Wright $902,800 $6,895,680 $7,798,480
60 Endeavour Mining Corp President & CEO Sebastien de Montessus * $1,193,054 $6,565,881 $7,758,936
61 Hudson's Bay Co Governer & Exec Chair Richard Baker $790,140 $6,959,888 $7,750,028
62 Imperial Oil Ltd Chairman, President & CEO Rich Kruger $1,139,328 $6,438,490 $7,577,818
63 George Weston Ltd Chairman & CEO, George Weston Ltd. & Loblaw Cos Ltd Galen G. Weston $1,100,000 $6,441,156 $7,541,156
64 George Weston Ltd Former President & CEO Paviter Binning $1,100,000 $6,416,676 $7,516,676
65 National Bank of Canada EVP Financial Markets Denis Girouard $333,691 $7,126,142 $7,459,833
66 Transalta Corp President & CEO Dawn L. Farrell $960,556 $6,429,222 $7,389,778
67 Novagold Resources Inc President & CEO Gregory Lang * $979,773 $6,279,620 $7,259,392
68 Shaw Communications Inc CEO Bradley Shaw $2,259,470 $4,978,018 $7,237,488
69 Gildan Activewear Inc President & CEO Glenn Chamandy $1,056,146 $6,037,469 $7,093,615
70 Power Corporation of Canada Deputy Chairman & Co-CEO André Desmarais $1,175,000 $5,700,897 $6,875,897
71 Intact Financial Corp CEO Charles Brindamour $1,048,231 $5,774,186 $6,822,417
72 Canadian Tire Corp President & CEO Stephen Wetmore $596,154 $6,222,158 $6,818,312
73 Power Corporation of Canada Chairman & Co-CEO Paul Desmarais, Jr. $1,175,000 $5,598,689 $6,773,689
74 Maple Leaf Foods Inc President & CEO Michael H. McCain $1,080,104 $5,473,952 $6,554,056
75 Ritchie Bros Auctioneers CEO Ravi Saligram $1,325,480 $5,129,905 $6,455,385
76 SNC-Lavalin Group Inc President & CEO Neil Bruce $1,100,000 $5,312,211 $6,412,211
77 National Bank of Canada CTO & EVP Strategic Initiatives Ricardo Pascoe $450,006 $5,910,957 $6,360,963
78 Husky Energy Inc Former President & CEO Asim Ghosh $1,597,140 $4,738,303 $6,335,443
79 Mitel Networks Corp President & CEO Richard D. McBee * $1,069,631 $5,234,927 $6,304,558
80 Brookfield Asset Management Inc Senior Managing Bruce Flatt * $795,334 $5,385,958 $6,181,292
81 Transcontinental Inc President & CEO François Olivier $995,649 $5,123,419 $6,119,068
82 Great-West Lifeco Inc President & CEO Paul Mahon $1,135,327 $4,928,837 $6,064,164
83 Methanex Corp President & CEO John Floren $951,000 $5,094,953 $6,045,953
84 Riocan Real Estate Investment Trust CEO Edward Sonshine $1,300,000 $4,703,700 $6,003,700
85 Hudson's Bay Co CEO Gerald Storch $1,580,280 $4,380,221 $5,960,501
86 Cameco Corp President & CEO Tim Gitzel $1,025,000 $4,899,134 $5,924,134
87 Finning International Inc President & CEO Scott Thomson $927,000 $4,950,749 $5,877,749
88 Brookfield Asset Management Inc Senior Managing Partner Brian W Kingston $927,890 $4,840,933 $5,768,823
89 Nevsun Resources Ltd President & CEO Clifford T. Davis $730,000 $4,885,523 $5,615,523
90 CAE Inc President & CEO Marc Parent $888,667 $4,720,910 $5,609,577
91 Saputo Inc President & COO Dino Dello Sbarba $1,025,000 $4,473,143 $5,498,143
92 Yamana Gold Inc Chairman & CEO Peter Marrone * $1,957,403 $3,524,657 $5,482,060
93 IGM Financial Inc President & CEO, Mackenzie Inc & Mackenzie Investments Barry McInerney $477,564 $4,916,208 $5,393,772
94 Atco Ltd & Canadian Utilities Ltd President & CEO Nancy Southern $1,000,000 $4,371,540 $5,371,540
95 IGM Financial Inc President & CEO Jeffrey Carney $1,116,667 $4,213,181 $5,329,848
96 B2Gold Corp President & CEO Clive Johnson $1,000,000 $4,305,796 $5,305,796
97 Franco-Nevada Corp President & CEO David Harquail $751,050 $4,543,096 $5,294,146
98 Lundin Mining Corp CEO Paul Conibear * $864,397 $4,401,695 $5,266,092
99 Saputo Inc CEO Lino Saputo Jr. $1,300,000 $3,900,000 $5,200,000
100 TMX Group Ltd CEO Louis Eccleston $750,000 $4,428,401 $5,178,401

* Compensation converted from USD; † “Other Compensation” includes: cash bonuses, stock-based bonuses, options-based bonuses, pension value, and any other payments aside from base salary.
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-a ... paid-ceos/
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
2437 posts
723 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 10:29 am
Do you tip McDonald's and Wall Mart staff and if not why not?
I do tip at Tim horton's, I do not tip at McD's because employees are not allowed to take tips, and I do not tip at WalMart because I do not go to WalMart, and... Why would I tip at WalMart? I don't know about Ontario, but here in Qc. the minimum wage for tippable job is less than the minimum wage for a non tippable job like a Walmart cashier. ref.: https://www.cnt.gouv.qc.ca/en/wages-pay ... index.html
As I said, I even tip my local mechanic when he provides me with a super extra service, or a free intervention... and he is paid way above the minimum wage... I tip when the employee who serves me deserve it
Sr. Member
Feb 11, 2009
931 posts
199 upvotes
I don't shop at WalMart anymore but when I did, the cashiers would sometimes ask me if I wanted to donate to charity.

I thought to myself, you are probably in poverty- I should be donating to you!
Penalty Box
User avatar
Dec 13, 2016
1463 posts
1116 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 7:46 pm
I do tip at Tim horton's, I do not tip at McD's because employees are not allowed to take tips, and I do not tip at WalMart because I do not go to WalMart, and... Why would I tip at WalMart? I don't know about Ontario, but here in Qc. the minimum wage for tippable job is less than the minimum wage for a non tippable job like a Walmart cashier. ref.: https://www.cnt.gouv.qc.ca/en/wages-pay ... index.html
As I said, I even tip my local mechanic when he provides me with a super extra service, or a free intervention... and he is paid way above the minimum wage... I tip when the employee who serves me deserve it
Why did you delete a comment about not tipping your wife?
Jr. Member
Jan 5, 2018
198 posts
93 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 7:46 pm
I do tip at Tim horton's, I do not tip at McD's because employees are not allowed to take tips, and I do not tip at WalMart because I do not go to WalMart, and... Why would I tip at WalMart? I don't know about Ontario, but here in Qc. the minimum wage for tippable job is less than the minimum wage for a non tippable job like a Walmart cashier. ref.: https://www.cnt.gouv.qc.ca/en/wages-pay ... index.html
As I said, I even tip my local mechanic when he provides me with a super extra service, or a free intervention... and he is paid way above the minimum wage... I tip when the employee who serves me deserve it
I don't understand your stance on this. On one hand, you're suggesting that tipping is not based on whether or not the person makes minimum wage (based on your story about tipping your mechanic who doesn't make minimum wage). On the other hand, you're citing the differences in minimum wage of a "tippable" vs. "non-tippable" job and using that as a reason as to why you wouldn't have reason to tip at Walmart.

What is a "tippable" job anyway? It is all arbitrary. You say that tipping is for when an employee that serves you deserves it. Have you ever tipped a bus driver? What about the lifeguard at the pool or beach? What about the bank teller?
Sanyo wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 2:01 pm
Tipping in restaurants is getting ridiculous ... mainly who came up with the 15% rule? Why not 5%? Or 75%?

Also again going to 15% if I order a $10 bottle of wine or $100 bottle of wine, the job will probably entail about the same ... yet a tip on $10 bottle is about $1.50 and $100 is $15. A waiter is not working 10 times harder to serve that wine.

These are the small things I don’t get ... I rarely ever eat at dine in restaurants so doesn’t matter but find it weird...I’m not saying don’t tip but tipping based on % is outdated ...
bunmin wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 3:30 pm
I think along the same lines. If I order a $40 prime rib and the table next to me, being served by the same employee, only gets the $10 burger platter why should I feel obligated to tip almost $5 more than the other guy for the same service?
Agreed.
Jr. Member
Dec 25, 2017
127 posts
111 upvotes
fred125 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 11:23 pm
I don't understand your stance on this. On one hand, you're suggesting that tipping is not based on whether or not the person makes minimum wage (based on your story about tipping your mechanic who doesn't make minimum wage). On the other hand, you're citing the differences in minimum wage of a "tippable" vs. "non-tippable" job and using that as a reason as to why you wouldn't have reason to tip at Walmart.

What is a "tippable" job anyway? It is all arbitrary. You say that tipping is for when an employee that serves you deserves it. Have you ever tipped a bus driver? What about the lifeguard at the pool or beach? What about the bank teller?
Agreed.
Yes. Definitely agree, restaurants are weird as hell when it comes to tipping.
Sr. Member
Apr 14, 2015
512 posts
139 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
I think tipping is just a way to show how superior you are to people that serve you. That’s why when you order expensive food, you are expected to tip more. It’s to prove you’re rich, and richer than the guy with the burger and the $10 bottle of wine.

That’s why you don’t tip your lawyer or your dentist. He’s richer than you and gets to be condescending about your criminal record or your flossing habits.
Sr. Member
Jan 16, 2016
852 posts
436 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 11:07 pm
Why did you delete a comment about not tipping your wife?
I have a screenshot if you want it LOL
Penalty Box
User avatar
Dec 13, 2016
1463 posts
1116 upvotes
Altera wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 1:34 am
I have a screenshot if you want it LOL
Was gonna say probably one person that does deserve a tip.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
2437 posts
723 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 11:07 pm
Why did you delete a comment about not tipping your wife?
Been deleted by a moderator.. ;)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 31, 2009
1004 posts
435 upvotes
I really dislike the way that tipping is considered a given. I think it's stupid that minimum wage servers, depending on the locations, etc, can end up making substantially more than what the work is worth (in my opinion) just because people tend to tip big to impress others (I see this happen).

I mean, I've known some young women who make more (or similar) in their bartending/serving type positions than the average professional with a university degree and a few years of solid work experience. I think this is wrong. Not to mention the fact that a lot of this slips under the radar as income, therefore, ripping off every tax paying citizen in Canada, for the sake of keeping more cash in the pockets of a person who probably doesn't deserve to be making as much as they end up making.

I don't believe tipping should exist, certainly not as the standard. Tipping should be reserved for extreme 'above and beyond' circumstances, just like you'd tip *anyone* if you really felt they did you amazing service, regardless of what job they did. If your roofer did an amazing job, you might throw him a few extra bucks, right? But he wouldn't expect it. Servers should be no different.

These are jobs that require very little training, very little education, and can be done by almost anyone. They're not jobs that people should be able to make big money doing. If you do your job properly for an hour and get paid $15 to do it (ie. $15/hour wage), the guy spends $100, why should you suddenly get an extra $15 and therefore make $30 /hour? (which would translate to ~$60,000 /yr. Not to mention that you're probably servicing other tables at the same time, all with people who could potentially be throwing you big tips). It's crazy that tipping is considered the norm.

I don't think people realize how much tip money servers end up making sometimes.. It's absolutely atrociously insane.

If you worked a good solid job, went out for dinner and drinks, and tipped big - do you realize that there's a good chance that your 'minimum wage server' makes more cash in their pocket (consider the under-the-table tax aspect which is usually in play) then you do? Would you still tip if you realized your server who basically just 'did their job properly' is netting income that would be like $60,000+ /yr gross? Should a server who just basically does their job properly make anywhere close to that much money? Absolutely not.

Tipping should not be the standard.
Last edited by unknownone on Jan 7th, 2018 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
2437 posts
723 upvotes
fred125 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 11:23 pm
I don't understand your stance on this. On one hand, you're suggesting that tipping is not based on whether or not the person makes minimum wage (based on your story about tipping your mechanic who doesn't make minimum wage). On the other hand, you're citing the differences in minimum wage of a "tippable" vs. "non-tippable" job and using that as a reason as to why you wouldn't have reason to tip at Walmart.

What is a "tippable" job anyway? It is all arbitrary. You say that tipping is for when an employee that serves you deserves it. Have you ever tipped a bus driver? What about the lifeguard at the pool or beach? What about the bank teller?
What people don't understand is that tipping is about little "extras"... Does, in Ontario, the tippable job are paid less than other regular jobs as in Qc. ? I do not tip at the beach because have you ever seen a lifeguard giving that little "extra"? Sitting on his chair all day longnwatching the people swimming and waiting to help someone in need is what he is paid for. Same for the bus driver who pick you up at the stop and let you go at the end... Unlike my mechanic who provide something free wich in this case is the little "extra", and the server at the restaurant who works hard to give those "extras", to be kind, and answer all your needs... That's my thoughts... Tipping is also a cultural thing, in some country you do not have to tip as the service is included in the bill, as some restaurants here do.

I prefer to give what I want and not a predetermined % because if the service is that bad, well I will tip much less, if no tip at all

What I hate is servers who try to get a big tip... When your lunch cost $25 and you pay with 2 20's and he tries to keep the change... ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8275 posts
736 upvotes
It doesn't to me. But if I find out that the tipping distribution has changed or that the owners are not taking some cut, I will tip less.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Dec 13, 2016
1463 posts
1116 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 8:20 am


What I hate is servers who try to get a big tip... When your lunch cost $25 and you pay with 2 20's and he tries to keep the change... ;)
That's theft, thanks and I would consider reporting it as such.
Jr. Member
Jan 5, 2018
198 posts
93 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 8:20 am
What people don't understand is that tipping is about little "extras"... Does, in Ontario, the tippable job are paid less than other regular jobs as in Qc. ? I do not tip at the beach because have you ever seen a lifeguard giving that little "extra"? Sitting on his chair all day longnwatching the people swimming and waiting to help someone in need is what he is paid for. Same for the bus driver who pick you up at the stop and let you go at the end... Unlike my mechanic who provide something free wich in this case is the little "extra", and the server at the restaurant who works hard to give those "extras", to be kind, and answer all your needs... That's my thoughts... Tipping is also a cultural thing, in some country you do not have to tip as the service is included in the bill, as some restaurants here do.

I prefer to give what I want and not a predetermined % because if the service is that bad, well I will tip much less, if no tip at all

What I hate is servers who try to get a big tip... When your lunch cost $25 and you pay with 2 20's and he tries to keep the change... ;)
Well I guess what is "extra" depends on what you consider to be standard then. Taking your order, bringing your food/drinks, asking if you need anything else, and being relatively kind/nice seems like standard to me. Anything less is just poor service. Thus, most of the time when I eat out, I end up tipping the server despite not feeling like he/she did anything "extra"

When I worked as a lifeguard in high school, I would often have to go to the back room and get the pool toys out for the kids, and then also clean up after them. I don't know about you, but some would consider that "extra" ;)... I never got tipped.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)