Ontario $14 impact on your tipping?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2022 5:51 am
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1814 posts
3254 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
Wrestlemania wrote: Now it's going to be $15/hr for servers.
$15 an hour with no tips means servers will be making a lot less $$ than before. Tipping is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Banned
Mar 3, 2021
707 posts
360 upvotes
Perhaps, you make it sound like everyone tips or eats out. Imean do you tip your garbage collectors for the good service they provide, teachers of your kids(you've heard of teachers using their own money to buy supplies) or your grocery store workers??????
Worriedone wrote: $15 an hour with no tips means servers will be making a lot less $$ than before. Tipping is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3363 posts
5496 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sffpcgtx wrote: Perhaps, you make it sound like everyone tips or eats out. Imean do you tip your garbage collectors for the good service they provide, teachers of your kids(you've heard of teachers using their own money to buy supplies) or your grocery store workers??????
Exactly! Do people tip cashiers who scan their items? If not, why not? Use the self-checkout instead and scan your own items if you're not going to tip them.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
Tipping is a custom, no obligation
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
When a 6 piece chicken mcnugget meal started costing $11 or whatever, that's when I just stopped eating at McDonalds.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1814 posts
3254 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
sffpcgtx wrote: Perhaps, you make it sound like everyone tips or eats out. Imean do you tip your garbage collectors for the good service they provide, teachers of your kids(you've heard of teachers using their own money to buy supplies) or your grocery store workers??????
I'm not sure if you read the OP or not, but the entire point of the OP was the impact on tipping for severs due to their low wages. I'm not sure what garbage collectors, teachers, grocery store workers or those that don't eat out in the first place have to do with tipping in restaurants.

Tipping is not going anywhere anytime soon. If you didn't tip to begin with your practice is not going to change.
Banned
Mar 3, 2021
707 posts
360 upvotes
Nice try, I like how you danced around the point. Who's fault is it if the restaurant owners don't pay the workers appropriately, and is this really the case for all restaurants or just an assumption? I go to a restuarant, have to wait at times, food takes forever to arrive, and I am expected to tip for service???????

Again, do you tip teachers for buying supplies for your kids?
Worriedone wrote: I'm not sure if you read the OP or not, but the entire point of the OP was the impact on tipping for severs due to their low wages. I'm not sure what garbage collectors, teachers, grocery store workers or those that don't eat out in the first place have to do with tipping in restaurants.

Tipping is not going anywhere anytime soon. If you didn't tip to begin with your practice is not going to change.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1814 posts
3254 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
sffpcgtx wrote: Nice try, I like how you danced around the point. Who's fault is it if the restaurant owners don't pay the workers appropriately, and is this really the case for all restaurants or just an assumption? I go to a restuarant, have to wait at times, food takes forever to arrive, and I am expected to tip for service???????

Again, do you tip teachers for buying supplies for your kids?
You are making zero sense. There's no point in having a discussion with you as I don't even think you know what you are responding to anymore. You are babbling on incoherently about things not even relating to the subject at hand.

OP asked how the increase in the min wage will effect your tipping habits in regards to servers in restaurants

My response was quite clear and easily understood. You are babbling on about me dancing around the subject and bringing up tipping in regards to teachers and garbage men and how restaurants don't pay workers appropriately. Your quite free to open your own thread in regards to the several different issues you brought not related to the OP and grind your axe there.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4527 posts
4056 upvotes
In Thailand they have this thing called "service charge" at fancier places shared with all staff. Just put 10-15% in every restaurant with your bill and that's it. No pressure, no discrimination based on looks, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4527 posts
4056 upvotes
JFlash20 wrote: Every strong front-facing position has a bonus or commission structure to drive quality and performance. Equal compensation would chase away the top performers.

I bartended in college and would make 2-3 times that of the average servers, same was true when I was in retail. I would not have stuck around if I couldn't have made that kind of money. When you go to a restaurant, it's for the experience, which is highly dependent on your server. There were regular customers that would not tip or tipped below 10% and I would back-burner them when it was busy. None of them ever blew up at me for it, but they did at others that were less stealthy about it. They would always get around to "I'm going to start eating somewhere else", to which all of us would think "good, that's what we want".

I have never witnessed "because it's their job" truly motivate any person, in any segment of business I have ever been in, ever. People work for incentives.
I always read this stuff from those "superstar" waiters. If they are so great they will excell at another opportunity.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
its all about perception.. servers don't think they get paid enough. customers think they are being asked to tip too much. both sides are right and wrong at the same time.

I kinda feel this will end up like Taxi drivers and uber in that some will leave and others will come to fill the void knowing that they will not make the same as the ones that came before.

the more I think about tipping its kinda like a real estate agent and doesn't make logical sense that its a % when the effort needed to do the same task doesn't change but the expected commission is based on the price.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Worriedone wrote: $15 an hour with no tips means servers will be making a lot less $$ than before. Tipping is not going anywhere anytime soon.
No, but it’s going to make me think long and hard about how much tip, if any, that I leave.

Here is something that I noticed lately: tip suggestions have been around for a while. And originally was going for “10%, 15%, 20%)” then it went to “18%, 21%, 25%” and now the last restaurant had this: “Poor service: 15%, Good service: 20%, Great service: 30%”

This type of thing makes me want to not go to restaurants.

Should be added: lots of people work in the service industry, and work for minimum wage, and make little or no tips. Example: Tim Hortons, Convenience store clerk, grocery cashier, etc. Many of these people are spending more time with you than a server, get paid the same rate as a server, yet zero when it comes to tips.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4527 posts
4056 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote: and now the last restaurant had this: “Poor service: 15%, Good service: 20%, Great service: 30%”
Wow.... Imagine getting paid 15% commission for sucking at your job.

Unheard of anywhere on the planet.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
BiegeToyota wrote: Wow.... Imagine getting paid 15% commission for sucking at your job.

Though I suppose if you wanted to let them know they sucked at their job, you can be passive-aggressive by accepting the 15% recommendation.

But yeah, rewarding someone for crappy work.
Why can't we all just get along?
Banned
Mar 3, 2021
707 posts
360 upvotes
.....or simply just pay for the food itself and leave. Nothing illegal about that, and you will be in the right. As someone mentioned above, the grocery store clerk spends more time with you, than the server that drops your foods and leaves. If people continue to accept/normalize these tip %s posted above, it's only a matter of time before the max moved from 30 to 50% for 'great service' (whatever this means).

What really irks me and why I haven't eaten out for over a decade, is the dictation of how much tip to give. Whatever happened to just 'taking whatever a person can afford'?????

jeff1970 wrote: Though I suppose if you wanted to let them know they sucked at their job, you can be passive-aggressive by accepting the 15% recommendation.

But yeah, rewarding someone for crappy work.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3363 posts
5496 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jeff1970 wrote: No, but it’s going to make me think long and hard about how much tip, if any, that I leave.

Here is something that I noticed lately: tip suggestions have been around for a while. And originally was going for “10%, 15%, 20%)” then it went to “18%, 21%, 25%” and now the last restaurant had this: “Poor service: 15%, Good service: 20%, Great service: 30%”

This type of thing makes me want to not go to restaurants.

Should be added: lots of people work in the service industry, and work for minimum wage, and make little or no tips. Example: Tim Hortons, Convenience store clerk, grocery cashier, etc. Many of these people are spending more time with you than a server, get paid the same rate as a server, yet zero when it comes to tips.
Bu bu but the server experience!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
BiegeToyota wrote: Wow.... Imagine getting paid 15% commission for sucking at your job.

im gonna send that to my boss when its time for a raise :)
Dec 11, 2013
817 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
BiegeToyota wrote: I always read this stuff from those "superstar" waiters. If they are so great they will excel at another opportunity.
Man, who busted out the necronomicon for this quote.

I stand by what I said: The good employees would be 100% fine; my comment is in regard to the quality of the restaurant. I don't know if you have had a restaurant you regularly visit go south, but we have, and we just stopped going.

If I were to revamp the system, I would build a commission system for servers with 50% of what they sold and 50% of the house average, with a 3% going to the kitchen staff. The issue with that, is that it incentives forced turn-over. Under the current tipping system, the guest has all the power over what the servers make, so they are going to be more patient and basically nicer. Also, that restaurant would have higher prices on the menu, people would see that and leave for some place "cheaper" w/tipping, unless they are all forced to do it.

Every contract I am a part of now I push to structure primarily with incentives for their and the team's performance; it makes managing much easier.