• Mar 8th, 2018 10:04 am
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4951 posts
2311 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
jeff1970 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 6:08 pm
Boils down to what kind of service you want and what kind of people you want serving you. We don't pay minimum wage people well (though it's better in Ontario now). You take away the tips, you'll find you're getting different staff. Whether you realize it or not, having a server that looks like they take care of themselves, is personable, is efficient and attentive, is specialized. You're not going to have those peoples if every decides not to tip. At which time, the server is going to look the same as the back-end guy at McDonald's.

As for Australia, over $17/hour minimum wage, and the staff you get for that will match that.
Service here in Canada is bad anyways. It has been years since good service at restaurants was the norm. I worked in the industry 25-30 years ago and service given back then was so much better than what one typically gets now (and back then, 10% was considered a good tip). The whole tipping thing is really out of hand IMO.

To reiterate - service workers here in Canada have gone down hill immensely in the past couple of decades, yet they expect big tips. If you want to find good service, go to the States. I realize they TRULY have to depend on their tips down there (unlike here), but the service is MILES better and I will happily tip well (I also tip here, but I'm not getting anywhere near the quality of service that I am tipping for here in Canada - or it is the exception and not the rule anymore).
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
3610 posts
605 upvotes
GTEH!
Minimum wage has NO impact on how I tip. I tip based on Service, always. Good service, good tip. Bad service, minimal to no tip.
😎
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4951 posts
2311 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I should add, that higher minimum wages definitely will impact how I tip. I'm not being forced to make up as much to bring them to a living wage. I won't tip more than 10% now unless I actually feel I've gotten great service (rare these days here in Canada).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7753 posts
1191 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Toronto Gamblers wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 10:37 pm
I know this is RedFlagDeals but I’m surprised how cheap some of you are and also assume you never waited tables or bartended! I love a bargain but I’m not lower tips. If I’m having a sit down meal, where I’m being served I’m there for a good experience. Serving people isn’t easy, we’re demanding after all, I know I am. When the service is good, the food is good and I’ve enjoyed my experience I absolutely leave a top. A bad waitstaff can ruin my meal, paying 20% more for a good vs bad experience is well worth it for me.
But what makes the job different from any other? Do you tip the cashier? Do you tip the repairman? Do you tip the garbage collectors? What about the nurses, doctors and on goes the list? You expect them to do their job without a tip, so why expect a server to only do their job if they get a tip?

I can understand the concept of a tip if someone really goes above and beyond in any job, but to tip just because it is expected doesn't make sense.
May 15, 2015
202 posts
60 upvotes
North York, ON
don242 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:53 pm
But what makes the job different from any other? Do you tip the cashier? Do you tip the repairman? Do you tip the garbage collectors? What about the nurses, doctors and on goes the list? You expect them to do their job without a tip, so why expect a server to only do their job if they get a tip?

I can understand the concept of a tip if someone really goes above and beyond in any job, but to tip just because it is expected doesn't make sense.
Exactly.
Aug 31, 2015
216 posts
43 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
In case this hasn't yet been posted: Reservoir Dogs
Aug 29, 2011
193 posts
146 upvotes
GTA
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:53 pm
I should add, that higher minimum wages definitely will impact how I tip. I'm not being forced to make up as much to bring them to a living wage. I won't tip more than 10% now unless I actually feel I've gotten great service (rare these days here in Canada).
I noticed about a 10% rise in restaurant prices since Jan.1st in Ontario. Obviously due to the massive minimum wage increase. To compensate my tipping level is dropping back to 10% from 15%. Still going to cost me about 5% more overall to eat out.
Last edited by garytheduke on Jan 9th, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Duke
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8201 posts
1680 upvotes
I'm going back to my roots, euro style. Add 5% for average service and round up. bad service = no tip. Above average, maybe 10
Dec 25, 2004
616 posts
31 upvotes
NerdyGreg wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:13 am
I do tip because it's a social convention, but as someone who worked as a dishwasher in a busy restaurant I can assure you that the kitchen staff deserve tips far more than the waitstaff. Our "tip out" was 2% of restaurant revenues, which is quite a bit below the standard 15% tip the waitstaff received. I spent 10 hours per shift without a break in a 40C "dish pit" getting covered in food waste while the servers sat comfortably in their break area and counted their stacks of tip money just a few metres away. Unfortunately it's not our social convention to tip the person that cooked your meal or washed your dishes, even though they almost certainly influence your enjoyment more than the waitstaff.
Not meant to insult, but working hard isn’t a skill set. Dealing with people is harder than washing a dish. There’s obviously hard work in the kitchen, hopefully everyone gets paid fairly and they probably don’t. That said as long as you can find people to work cheap and not have to deal with the public then the 2% is a gift.
Dec 25, 2004
616 posts
31 upvotes
don242 wrote:

To be clear, I don’t tip bad service. I typically give 0%, 15% or 20%. Bad service gets nothing and a complaint. 20% when the service is great, and often saved me money, like they took something off a bill or when my kids destroyed the table and I feel like the waitstaff was good with them and truly did extra work.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1416 posts
518 upvotes
Kitchener
fred125 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:10 am
What? Does anybody actually tip on a pick up/take out order? I never do and I thought nobody did either.
Yeah, that was my point. I've only seen the option at Domino's and I always decline. But Swiss Chalet doesn't even have that option. Which is good.

I'll occasionally tip the pick-up for the Chinese food place, because it's inexpensive and a family only operation so all the cats go to the family.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1416 posts
518 upvotes
Kitchener
That's true that service in the US is better. At the same time, in Canada I have stopped going to places with poor service. However, my kids love the Boston Pizza by our place, so when I go in, I tell staff which people we DON'T want serving us. The one server (Chewy -- nickname because he sounds like Chewbacca) is excellent, and serving people is his passion. I also try to get the one female server (she's usually working when the crappy waitress is there) who understands that she needs to work hard to earn that tip. I've learned where to go, when to go, what places to avoid. It's also helpful that we ask for management when; service is really good; and when service is really poor. Last time as East Side Mario's our server had some speech issues, nothing super serious - I think she was born partially deaf, but she tried so hard with all her tables. I noticed that and I made sure that management knew they had an excellent server.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
1180 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was a server actually...

For 3 years after university...

Paid off my 36k of OSAP in just shy of 2 years....

Left the game because I didn't like saying "I'm a server @ X, when people asked me what I did. Absolutely nothing wrong with that career. Just not the career I wanted.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
1988 posts
591 upvotes
Ontario
don242 wrote:

Agree, I think the environment needs to change. People need to bring these concepts to light and not let people blindly tip certain jobs. The conversation needs to be brought outside of Rfd as well.
Dec 25, 2004
616 posts
31 upvotes
Dynasty12345 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 1:55 am
Agree, I think the environment needs to change. People need to bring these concepts to light and not let people blindly tip certain jobs. The conversation needs to be brought outside of Rfd as well.
Yeah this is really a top burning issue in our society. Give me a break.