Personal Finance

Ontario $14 impact on your tipping?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2022 5:51 am
Dec 25, 2004
892 posts
188 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: You know what's sickening? Waiters making more than junior engineers. They shouldn't make any more than fast food servers. Fast food servers work HARDER. If anything, they should receive tips.
No they should make more than jr engineers. They should make more than jr anything. It’s how many of us paid for University, allowing us to become jr engineers, then get to 6 figures and on. Play your own cards and stop complaining what others have. Jealousy is so weak.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Messerschmitt wrote: You know what's sickening? Waiters making more than junior engineers. They shouldn't make any more than fast food servers. Fast food servers work HARDER. If anything, they should receive tips.
Just stop. Sick and tired of people thinking because they have a degree in Engineering that the doors of life should open up for them and grant them all the riches in the world. It's not about working hard. It's about working smart. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, get off your butt and make something of your situation.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I detest the trend of 'automatic gratuity' whereby a restaurant automatically tacks on 18-20% to the bill (always the POST-TAX amount too!!)
They use to only do this for groups of 8 or more.. Recently i've seen this automatic tip added to everyone's bill.

As for OP's question about $14 and $15 min wage impacting my tipping...

I'll be tipping much less knowing that staff is better compensated by owners (via increase pricing).
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
unknownone wrote: I really dislike the way that tipping is considered a given. I think it's stupid that minimum wage servers, depending on the locations, etc, can end up making substantially more than what the work is worth (in my opinion) just because people tend to tip big to impress others (I see this happen).

I mean, I've known some young women who make more (or similar) in their bartending/serving type positions than the average professional with a university degree and a few years of solid work experience. I think this is wrong. Not to mention the fact that a lot of this slips under the radar as income, therefore, ripping off every tax paying citizen in Canada, for the sake of keeping more cash in the pockets of a person who probably doesn't deserve to be making as much as they end up making.

I don't believe tipping should exist, certainly not as the standard. Tipping should be reserved for extreme 'above and beyond' circumstances, just like you'd tip *anyone* if you really felt they did you amazing service, regardless of what job they did. If your roofer did an amazing job, you might throw him a few extra bucks, right? But he wouldn't expect it. Servers should be no different.

These are jobs that require very little training, very little education, and can be done by almost anyone. They're not jobs that people should be able to make big money doing. If you do your job properly for an hour and get paid $15 to do it (ie. $15/hour wage), the guy spends $100, why should you suddenly get an extra $15 and therefore make $30 /hour? (which would translate to ~$60,000 /yr. Not to mention that you're probably servicing other tables at the same time, all with people who could potentially be throwing you big tips). It's crazy that tipping is considered the norm.

I don't think people realize how much tip money servers end up making sometimes.. It's absolutely atrociously insane.

If you worked a good solid job, went out for dinner and drinks, and tipped big - do you realize that there's a good chance that your 'minimum wage server' makes more cash in their pocket (consider the under-the-table tax aspect which is usually in play) then you do? Would you still tip if you realized your server who basically just 'did their job properly' is netting income that would be like $60,000+ /yr gross? Should a server who just basically does their job properly make anywhere close to that much money? Absolutely not.

Tipping should not be the standard.
Fully agree!
about the 'expectation of tipping' .....

I go to a restaurant, the final bill is $47.65 (including TAX) .... the three of us are still chatting as the meal winds down... I put $50 into the folder with the receipt. I expected the waitress to bring me the change and say 'have a nice day!' ... after which, when we get up and leave, I'd slip another fiver into the folder to make her tip ~$7.35 which she'd get when bussing the table after our departure.

Instead ... she takes the folder ... walks over to the cash register ... angrily brings the folder back to me whilst we are still at the table finishing our coffees and declares "THIS TOTAL DOESN'T INCLUDE THE TIP!" .... and opens it up for me to lay out more cash to give to her.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
905P4N6 wrote: Fully agree!

I go to a restaurant, the final bill is $47.65 (including TAX) .... the three of us are still chatting as the meal winds down... I put $50 into the folder with the receipt. I expected the waitress to bring me the change and say 'have a nice day!' ... after which, when we get up and leave, I'd slip another fiver into the folder to make her tip ~$7.35 which she'd get when bussing the table after our departure.

Instead ... she takes the folder ... walks over to the cash register ... angrily brings the folder back to me whilst we are still at the table finishing our coffees and declares "THIS TOTAL DOESN'T INCLUDE THE TIP!" .... and opens it up for me to lay out more cash to give to her.
What a hag. That move would lead me to say "and now you won't be getting one bitch", or maybe "here's a tip: learn some manners". I would definitely NOT reward that one with money.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1510 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DoorCrasher wrote: What I hate is servers who try to get a big tip... When your lunch cost $25 and you pay with 2 20's and he tries to keep the change... ;)
Madness! Server takes a $15 tip (on a $25 lunch)?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4527 posts
4056 upvotes
Toronto Gamblers wrote: To be clear, I don’t tip bad service. I typically give 0%, 15% or 20%. Bad service gets nothing and a complaint. 20% when the service is great, and often saved me money, like they took something off a bill or when my kids destroyed the table and I feel like the waitstaff was good with them and truly did extra work.
Wow.

Yet another reason why scummy tips have to go.

Take something off the bill?

Kids destroying property?

What is this? Third world corruption?

Shameful.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
905P4N6 wrote: Madness! Server takes a $15 tip (on a $25 lunch)?
weho welll must be dumb or very bad in maths to give that amount lol but yes, some tries... wich makes me give less than I would have...
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
The more hotter and sexier they are, the more tips they get.....what more can I say, sex sell!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Toronto Gamblers wrote: No they should make more than jr engineers. They should make more than jr anything. It’s how many of us paid for University, allowing us to become jr engineers, then get to 6 figures and on. Play your own cards and stop complaining what others have. Jealousy is so weak.
JayLove06 wrote: Just stop. Sick and tired of people thinking because they have a degree in Engineering that the doors of life should open up for them and grant them all the riches in the world. It's not about working hard. It's about working smart. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, get off your butt and make something of your situation.
I don't need to feel sorry for myself. I just don't follow the sheeps and tip 15-20-25$. I round up and tip 1-2$ extra.

And when people like you comment on my tipping I tell them if they don't like it, the servers can get another job that actually requires some sort of education or skill. But doesn't seem necessary since they are already laughing to the bank with all the sheep that tip 20% and say it's "normal"
Dec 25, 2004
892 posts
188 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: Just stop. Sick and tired of people thinking because they have a degree in Engineering that the doors of life should open up for them and grant them all the riches in the world. It's not about working hard. It's about working smart. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, get off your butt and make something of your situation.
AMEN!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9356 posts
2208 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
905P4N6 wrote: Fully agree!

I'd be asking for the change from the 50.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
905P4N6 wrote: I detest the trend of 'automatic gratuity' whereby a restaurant automatically tacks on 18-20% to the bill (always the POST-TAX amount too!!)
When tip is automatic, the tip HAS to be on top of tax. That is the law.

I wish sit-down restaurants would offer electronic ordering without a server. If I can lift my butt to to the washroom, I can lift my butt to get my food. Cut the middle man. Fast foods already offer this option.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Just like how there's no need to feel sorry for servers. They can also make something of their situation and get a higher paying job. No need to complain when they don't get the amount of tips they expect, and yes, it is an expectation. If they don't like it, change it.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
kenchau wrote: Just like how there's no need to feel sorry for servers. They can also make something of their situation and get a higher paying job. No need to complain when they don't get the amount of tips they expect, and yes, it is an expectation. If they don't like it, change it.
peli33 wrote: When tip is automatic, the tip HAS to be on top of tax. That is the law.

I wish sit-down restaurants would offer electronic ordering without a server. If I can lift my butt to to the washroom, I can lift my butt to get my food. Cut the middle man. Fast foods already offer this option.
bingo x2
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Binden wrote: The only people who ever seem to support and defend tipping are those who work in the industry, those with family/friends in the industry, or those who used to work in the industry.

Every single time i've ever pressed someone supporting tipping, it turns out that they are connected to a server somehow.

Tipping has got to go, it is such a stupid and unfair practice. I don't understand why we tip waitstaff several dollars for maybe 5mins of direct interaction or service, but we don't tip the person at bestbuy helping me pick out a router, or the guy at bell/rogers setting up a phone. My biggest beef is at bars, you are literally are grabbing a tall can of beer within arms reach, opening the lid, and then expecting a tip, what the heck that.
Difference with say Bell/Rogers setting up the phone/cable: These guys make good money, generally, $25/hour+, not to mention discount on products (typically 50%). Of course, you can tip them. Back in the day, I gave the Rogers guy a can of beer on a hot day. He 'accidentally' forgot to add the filter to my line. I can't speak for Best Buy, though many who work their longterm are well above minimum wage. That said, not all the staff at Best Buy are knowledgeable enough. While they know enough to help a senior citizen who knows nothing about routers, someone with a little tech knowledge probably won't find the staff there all that useful.

Again, though, no law saying you can't tip the Best Buy or Bell guy.

I guess having 'worked' in the industry for a bit, and seeing how most staff is treated, with girls having their ass's grabbed, or their boobs squeezed by drunkards, being yelled at for poorly prepared food (not their fault), and bosses making them pay for the dash&dine customers and liquor accidents.

I for one, would never let my daughter work in that industry.

Of course, no one is forcing you to pay a tip. You don't want to give a little extra to someone that is running around dealing with assholes and makes less than minimum wage, have at it. No law on tipping.

As I mentioned in a previous post, restaurant and bar owners could pay staff what they're worth and notify customers that tips are discouraged. But the owners are cheap and are all too happy with paying everyone except the head cook and management minimum wage.

Going to add, the government is part of the problem. Why are we having a special wage on servers and waiters? This only feeds the culture of tipping, both the disgruntled and the all to happy to give 20% on top of entire bill INCLUDING TAX!
Why can't we all just get along?
May 10, 2017
340 posts
58 upvotes
zinger9 wrote: I strongly dislike tipping. I'd be OK with it if a person went way out of their way to do something special, but if they're just doing their regular job and expecting a tip then no.

Wife thinks people will spit in our food if we don't tip.

Therefore we rarely go to restaurants. Which is good because most of them suck and are way overpriced. I'd rather cook my own food.

I wonder how they (consumer psychologists) haven't coined the term FOGS (Fear Of Getting Spit) yet.
25 thumbs-up for this post - that's something.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
kenchau wrote: Just like how there's no need to feel sorry for servers. They can also make something of their situation and get a higher paying job. No need to complain when they don't get the amount of tips they expect, and yes, it is an expectation. If they don't like it, change it.
I don't see any servers complaining in here. All I saw was a crybaby engineer crying about being underpaid. IF a waiter was complaining about pay then I'd have the same response. However we live in a society where we tip waiters. You don't want to tip, fine, then move to France, but then you'd cry about waiters there having actual salaries. You can also just stop going to restaurants.

This air of superiority is sickening.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Messerschmitt wrote: I don't need to feel sorry for myself. I just don't follow the sheeps and tip 15-20-25$. I round up and tip 1-2$ extra.

And when people like you comment on my tipping I tell them if they don't like it, the servers can get another job that actually requires some sort of education or skill. But doesn't seem necessary since they are already laughing to the bank with all the sheep that tip 20% and say it's "normal"
Yes, waiters are laughing all the way to the bank. Jesus Christ the crap people post here. Stay home, seriously.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
JayLove06 wrote: I don't see any servers complaining in here. All I saw was a crybaby engineer crying about being underpaid. IF a waiter was complaining about pay then I'd have the same response. However we live in a society where we tip waiters. You don't want to tip, fine, then move to France, but then you'd cry about waiters there having actual salaries. You can also just stop going to restaurants.

This air of superiority is sickening.
I never said I don't tip. I tip generously thank you very much. That doesn't mean I am not entitled to having an opinion that tipping should be abolished since it's a north american concept. And that they should raise the prices of food and just pay servers something better like $18/hr.

And it's an extremely valid point that even within the concept of tipping, percentage doesn't even make sense. My earlier example of joining a group of friends late and getting just a soft drink with a few refills. Might be $0.60 at 20%, which is a pathetic tip.