Ontario $14 impact on your tipping?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 9:35 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5525 posts
1221 upvotes
Mississauga
Tipping should be abolished. It's a North American-only concept. Everywhere else in the world, people do their jobs with pride.

When you have this debate with servers that work in restaurants (particularly those that are slightly above your conventional Jack Astor's, Boston Pizzas...by food price), they are always quick to point out, their minimum wage is different from staff at Tim Horton's, etc. Well than go there and make the increased minimum wage then.

But who are we kidding. We all know they are raking in close to $20/hr with tips or more. Let's not kidd ourselves as to whether all of that is disclosed for income tax either.

And as other posters above have suggested, % is so outdated within the concept of tipping. Sometimes I join my friends late, and all I get is a soft drink, but I'll ask for a couple of refills, which actually results in more work for the wait staff than bringing a meal, with one check-in during the meal. If I gave 15-20% on my tab, it would be like $0.50. That's pathetic! So I'll usually give $1.50-$2. On the flipside, when I'm having a meal, I'm usually very low maintenance. They bring the meal, they have one "how's everything" check-in, clean-up dishes and ask if interested in desserts, and bring the bill. Whether I ordered a $30 dish or $15 salad or $10 appetizer in the same restaurant, the work is the same, but the tip is so drastically different on a %-basis.
Dec 15, 2009
928 posts
158 upvotes
Ontario
In December my fav meal (poutine) from a local restaurant cost $8.45 all in.
Yesterday the same meal was $10.50 or so.

So I get min wage went up but to increase every menu item 25% when nothing but staff costs increased?

I was too shocked to tip (it was take out so I likely wouldn't have anyhow).

edit: my wage went up 0% on Jan 2 - so this inflation on prices hits me pretty hard.

Not even sure I will go back. Cheaper poutine to be found elsewhere.
Jul 13, 2009
778 posts
90 upvotes
The places that put tips or gratuity on the bill, how can we reverse those charges?

Some regulation I can quote? Other than escalating to manager.

I'm referring to places that both did and didn't indicate them charging gratuity on the menu.
Cell plans - anything more than $10/gb is a ripoff.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8397 posts
1814 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 9:42 am
Tipping should be abolished. It's a North American-only concept. Everywhere else in the world, people do their jobs with pride.

When you have this debate with servers that work in restaurants (particularly those that are slightly above your conventional Jack Astor's, Boston Pizzas...by food price), they are always quick to point out, their minimum wage is different from staff at Tim Horton's, etc. Well than go there and make the increased minimum wage then.

But who are we kidding. We all know they are raking in close to $20/hr with tips or more. Let's not kidd ourselves as to whether all of that is disclosed for income tax either.

And as other posters above have suggested, % is so outdated within the concept of tipping. Sometimes I join my friends late, and all I get is a soft drink, but I'll ask for a couple of refills, which actually results in more work for the wait staff than bringing a meal, with one check-in during the meal. If I gave 15-20% on my tab, it would be like $0.50. That's pathetic! So I'll usually give $1.50-$2. On the flipside, when I'm having a meal, I'm usually very low maintenance. They bring the meal, they have one "how's everything" check-in, clean-up dishes and ask if interested in desserts, and bring the bill. Whether I ordered a $30 dish or $15 salad or $10 appetizer in the same restaurant, the work is the same, but the tip is so drastically different on a %-basis.
My cousin was a waitress. She would rack up $100 in tips alone on weekdays and up to $300 on busy days (friday, saturday). TIPS ALONE!
Disgusting. For doing their jobs. Servers literally make 3000-4000$ a month in tips ALONE, so about 50k.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5351 posts
2606 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:08 am
My cousin was a waitress. She would rack up $100 in tips alone on weekdays and up to $300 on busy days (friday, saturday). TIPS ALONE!
Disgusting. For doing their jobs. Servers literally make 3000-4000$ a month in tips ALONE, so about 50k.
Only in a very good place (busy). Many (most) places don't have that kind of volume.
Dec 13, 2017
111 posts
90 upvotes
Thats true and i think thats a part of the problem...They should get minimum wage and any tips provided should be on top of that. Thats just a cop out for thier employers to pay less. They should at minimum get the new min wage and if anybody wants to tip them, you are more than welcome too. Since its just a custom and not mandated, i am sure people in these jobs have weeks where they do well and wekks where they dont do well. Which is BS imo.

jeff1970 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 4:03 pm
Problem with that idea is that these people make *less* than regular minimum wage. They have a special wage because it's a custom in this country, and countries like the US, to tip the server. Usually too their is a tip-out for the kitchen staff.

As for original question, I'll have to see. I might start tipping 15% on pre-tax rather than total bill amount -- this for decent service at a decent restaurant. Piss poor service still gets 0%. OK service gets 10% and exceptional service (including compliments for messed up orders) gets 20%.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5351 posts
2606 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
DontCareyou wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:38 am
Thats true and i think thats a part of the problem...They should get minimum wage and any tips provided should be on top of that. Thats just a cop out for thier employers to pay less. They should at minimum get the new min wage and if anybody wants to tip them, you are more than welcome too. Since its just a custom and not mandated, i am sure people in these jobs have weeks where they do well and wekks where they dont do well. Which is BS imo.
They don't make that much less than the minimum wage (not like in some of the states). I think you'd have to be a pretty crap server to not be able to bring your income to well above minimum wage including tips. I was a waitress back in BC in my younger days, and there was no such thing as a separate minimum wage for servers there (maybe there is now, I have no idea). Back then tipping was more in the range of 10%. I truly think tipping is out of hand, and I really wish we would dump that expectation in our culture. Some people (even 25-30 years ago) were making $200-$300 per night if they got jobs at great places. It was more than many professionals earned. I was never lucky enough to work at a place like that, but I certainly didn't walk home with just minimum wage either.
Dec 13, 2017
111 posts
90 upvotes
True, i have some female friends that make pretty good money bring servers and such. The whole point of having a minimum wage is to guarantee a certain standard of living and it should apply to EVERYBODY (may be exceptions for the non-adult population). I am sure the people who tip now will tip if servers get paid the minimum wage. What i dont like is how many servers expect a tip or they just a gratuity charge for no reason.
Chickinvic wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:53 pm
They don't make that much less than the minimum wage (not like in some of the states). I think you'd have to be a pretty crap server to not be able to bring your income to well above minimum wage including tips. I was a waitress back in BC in my younger days, and there was no such thing as a separate minimum wage for servers there (maybe there is now, I have no idea). Back then tipping was more in the range of 10%. I truly think tipping is out of hand, and I really wish we would dump that expectation in our culture. Some people (even 25-30 years ago) were making $200-$300 per night if they got jobs at great places. It was more than many professionals earned. I was never lucky enough to work at a place like that, but I certainly didn't walk home with just minimum wage either.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
DoorCrasher wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 2:37 pm
Exactly, that's why tipping is so personnal... I give more if service is beyond my personal standards, less if beyond my personal standards
I dont agree with your concept, but I like your argument and explanation. Well explained (this post and others above).
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
So many thread on this topic.

Maybe the problem isn't tipping. Maybe the problem is people are not going out enough to eat at some restaurants. People just go back to the restaurants they like. The $14 does not matter if all employees are business owners or partners or whatever. They can put the money they generate to renovate their restaurant if they own the property.

The good staff may already be paid more then $14 an hour so who needs the tips.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5572 posts
1273 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:08 am
Dude please don’t push this nonsense. Most do not make close to that money. Some of the responses here are sickening.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8397 posts
1814 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 4:43 am
Dude please don’t push this nonsense. Most do not make close to that money. Some of the responses here are sickening.
You know what's sickening? Waiters making more than junior engineers. They shouldn't make any more than fast food servers. Fast food servers work HARDER. If anything, they should receive tips.
Dec 25, 2004
620 posts
35 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:53 am
You know what's sickening? Waiters making more than junior engineers. They shouldn't make any more than fast food servers. Fast food servers work HARDER. If anything, they should receive tips.
No they should make more than jr engineers. They should make more than jr anything. It’s how many of us paid for University, allowing us to become jr engineers, then get to 6 figures and on. Play your own cards and stop complaining what others have. Jealousy is so weak.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5572 posts
1273 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:53 am
Just stop. Sick and tired of people thinking because they have a degree in Engineering that the doors of life should open up for them and grant them all the riches in the world. It's not about working hard. It's about working smart. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, get off your butt and make something of your situation.