• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2018 10:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5604 posts
1291 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:11 pm
Just like how there's no need to feel sorry for servers. They can also make something of their situation and get a higher paying job. No need to complain when they don't get the amount of tips they expect, and yes, it is an expectation. If they don't like it, change it.
I don't see any servers complaining in here. All I saw was a crybaby engineer crying about being underpaid. IF a waiter was complaining about pay then I'd have the same response. However we live in a society where we tip waiters. You don't want to tip, fine, then move to France, but then you'd cry about waiters there having actual salaries. You can also just stop going to restaurants.

This air of superiority is sickening.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5604 posts
1291 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:42 pm
I don't need to feel sorry for myself. I just don't follow the sheeps and tip 15-20-25$. I round up and tip 1-2$ extra.

And when people like you comment on my tipping I tell them if they don't like it, the servers can get another job that actually requires some sort of education or skill. But doesn't seem necessary since they are already laughing to the bank with all the sheep that tip 20% and say it's "normal"
Yes, waiters are laughing all the way to the bank. Jesus Christ the crap people post here. Stay home, seriously.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5539 posts
1230 upvotes
Mississauga
JayLove06 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:38 pm
I don't see any servers complaining in here. All I saw was a crybaby engineer crying about being underpaid. IF a waiter was complaining about pay then I'd have the same response. However we live in a society where we tip waiters. You don't want to tip, fine, then move to France, but then you'd cry about waiters there having actual salaries. You can also just stop going to restaurants.

I never said I don't tip. I tip generously thank you very much. That doesn't mean I am not entitled to having an opinion that tipping should be abolished since it's a north american concept. And that they should raise the prices of food and just pay servers something better like $18/hr.

And it's an extremely valid point that even within the concept of tipping, percentage doesn't even make sense. My earlier example of joining a group of friends late and getting just a soft drink with a few refills. Might be $0.60 at 20%, which is a pathetic tip.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1395 posts
713 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
peli33 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:28 pm
When tip is automatic, the tip HAS to be on top of tax. That is the law.

I wish sit-down restaurants would offer electronic ordering without a server. If I can lift my butt to to the washroom, I can lift my butt to get my food. Cut the middle man. Fast foods already offer this option.
Unless I am reading you wrong then this is incorrect. Using the term "automatic gratuity" I believe references the establishment adding what could also be termed "service fee", in which case this must be applied pre-tax and that GST/HST must then be calculated including this amount in the total of the bill. If however there is no "service fee" then whatever an individual chooses as a percentage is applied to the total of the bill including the tax, an actual cash amount is just added to the bill.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2046 posts
1518 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:38 pm

Well, considering how majority of people are fed up with the tipping culture expect for the things to change as they always do.... eventually.

Then, roll up yer sleeves and get a real job, ok?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5604 posts
1291 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:07 am
Well, considering how majority of people are fed up with the tipping culture expect for the things to change as they always do.... eventually.

Then, roll up yer sleeves and get a real job, ok?
A real job? What an ignorant thing to say.
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2046 posts
1518 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:18 am
A real job? What an ignorant thing to say.
Damn right pretty boy. Roll up yer sleeves
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1065 posts
247 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:21 am
You just low-key complimented him, and have taken this thread in a whole other direction...

We see you Beige Toyota
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1065 posts
247 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:00 am
Just stop. Sick and tired of people thinking because they have a degree in Engineering that the doors of life should open up for them and grant them all the riches in the world. It's not about working hard. It's about working smart. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, get off your butt and make something of your situation.
Precisely. Engineers need to work on increasing their sex appeal and then we can take them seriously.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8400 posts
1823 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:40 pm
Yes, waiters are laughing all the way to the bank. Jesus Christ the crap people post here. Stay home, seriously.
How about I don't stay home and I DON'T TIP! Hmm? How about that? I don't see any sign in any restaurant saying that I'm not welcomed if I don't tip. Food prices are high enough that employers can pay the extra 1$ to cover the minimum wage.

This is not US where servers wage is 3x lower than minimum wage. So why the heck would I tip the same "percentage" it's usually done in the US?

Canada hospitality industry is just milking the peoples perception and cry wolf.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1168 posts
867 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 8:55 am
Unless I am reading you wrong then this is incorrect. Using the term "automatic gratuity" I believe references the establishment adding what could also be termed "service fee", in which case this must be applied pre-tax and that GST/HST must then be calculated including this amount in the total of the bill. If however there is no "service fee" then whatever an individual chooses as a percentage is applied to the total of the bill including the tax, an actual cash amount is just added to the bill.
When gratuity is mandatory it is taxable if that can make it clearer.

Here is an article about it.

https://www.thestar.com/business/person ... _bill.html
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1395 posts
713 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
^^^^^ Thank you for clarifying your own post.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5604 posts
1291 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 9:21 am
Maybe the Engineer crying about wages should get an extra job as a waiter. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Of all the people to be salty with...waiters?

Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5604 posts
1291 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:20 am
How about I don't stay home and I DON'T TIP! Hmm? How about that? I don't see any sign in any restaurant saying that I'm not welcomed if I don't tip. Food prices are high enough that employers can pay the extra 1$ to cover the minimum wage.

This is not US where servers wage is 3x lower than minimum wage. So why the heck would I tip the same "percentage" it's usually done in the US?

Canada hospitality industry is just milking the peoples perception and cry wolf.

And what do you do when you have a group of 6+ and the gratuity is rolled into the price? I suggest you really think through your answer.

Not tipping a waiter, especially for a job well done is low. I wouldn't surround myself with people like that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7867 posts
1260 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Server comes to your table, takes your order, drops off some utensils, appetizers and then brings food. Checks back once or twice to refill drinks or make sure everything is ok. Picks up some of the finished plates, brings a coffee or desert, maybe brings a tray for leftovers, and then brings bill. Good job. They have done their job. Is this not expected of them regardless? Why does doing their job require a tip? Just brainwashed here to think you have to tip like they do in the US.

Again, if someone goes above and beyond, then sure, makes sense to leave a little something extra. But this goes for any job, not just a server.

There are plenty of minimum wage jobs where people deal with the public and are on their feet all day at a high pace, and they don't get tips. What makes a server at a restaurant so special that they seem to think they are entitled to a tip?