Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Ontario Affordability Fund - For Ontarians - Free upgrades to reduce bills

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2019 5:51 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3152 posts
1862 upvotes

Ontario Affordability Fund - For Ontarians - Free upgrades to reduce bills

Deal Link:
This program is to help homeowners and renters lower their energy bills. It is NOT for low-income folks who have separate programs they can utilize.

It seems that based on your monthly bills, you will be separated into one of three categories:

Level 1 - Receive a Home Energy Kit with upgrades that you can easily install yourself. This may include ENERGY STAR® light bulbs, a power bar and/or faucet aerators along with energy-saving tips.

Level 2 - Receive an in-home visit from a professional Home Energy Advisor, a Home Energy Plan and upgrades that may include ENERGY STAR® appliances.

Level 3 - For electrically heated homes only: receive an in-home visit from a professional Home Energy Advisor, a Home Energy Plan and upgrades that may include insulation and/or an ENERGY STAR® heat pump.

The level of support you are offered appears to be based on how high your electricity bill is relative to your income. There is no cap on income, though there is a minimum (there are other programs for low income assistance).

This is not a rebate program, all work is fully covered by the fund. The program appears to be funded by the provincial government in association with local utilities.

I found out about the program through https://news.ontario.ca/mei/en/2017/10/ ... costs.html which gives some additional details not listed on https://www.affordabilityfund.org/

EDIT#2 - Some questions being asked:

When they call, what do they ask?They confirm items on the form (it seems that some questions have now been removed from the form).... do you have problems paying, location, household income, number of occupants, average electricity bill, electricity supplier and account number, have you had issues paying in the past, do you pay late fees, do you work for a utility, how did you hear about us, and some similar basic questions. My call lasted 5.5 minutes but most of that was me asking questions about the program

I can't submit the form I had no trouble submitting last week using a PC with Chrome browser. Ensure that popup blockers are turned off. Someone mentioned that Postal Code shouldn't have a space (I can't remember how I submitted)

How do they determine what you get? After playing around with the calculator on the bottom of the page, it appears that if your monthly power bill represents MORE than 3% of your gross monthly income, you "may qualify for a Home Energy Plan and upgrades that may include ENERGY STAR® appliances". Actual income doesn't seem to matter, as long as >3% of your income goes to your hydro bill

EDIT #3 - TIMELINES
I signed up online a few days before making this post (mid-May). After the initial call within under a week, I heard nothing until early September. My kit arrived on September 14th.

My kit includes the following:
  • 3 x 4pk Sylvania 60w equivilent LED lightbulbs (800 lumens / 9w / 2700k soft white)
  • 1 x nightlight with light sensor (0.3w)
  • 1 x TrickleStar 7-outlet AV Advanced Power Strip (mixed reviews on Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Tricklestar-7-Ou ... B00MDXEGWK)
  • 1 x Fridge/Freezer thermostat
  • 1 x Furnace filter whistle (supposed to whistle when the filter is half clogged)
Last edited by RubberCheese on Sep 27th, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
264 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3031 posts
1082 upvotes
Mississauga
I applied last week and was eligible to get rebate of $30 out of my current bill based on the income and no of household members.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
LOL energy minister what a guy. Says he cut hydro bills by 25%. RIGHT. That's like me going to the bank, getting a new 30 year mortgage, reducing my monthly payments to $50 but paying $500 in interest every month and saying I'm saving money right now just to get f'ed down the road LOL.

“In addition to cutting residential hydro bills by 25 per cent on average through the Fair Hydro Plan, we are delivering even more savings to Ontario families through the Affordability Fund. By providing electricity customers with tools to improve the energy efficiency of their homes, we’re helping reduce pressure on their pocketbooks and protecting the environment.”

-Glenn Thibeault
Minister of Energy
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
Thanks for posting OP!

Although, I can't seem to click the "submit" button after completing all the required fields. I went over it five times and made sure I had everything filled out. Is anyone else having the same problem?
Jan 9, 2018
536 posts
698 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote: Thanks for posting OP!

Although, I can't seem to click the "submit" button after completing all the required fields. I went over it five times and made sure I had everything filled out. Is anyone else having the same problem?
Yes , i had this issue so I selected "desktop site" on chrome. It worked after that.
Jan 12, 2011
304 posts
255 upvotes
I just entered N/A in the comment field and it worked. Problem is that this is based on household income and energy bills. Lower income households will benefit more from this program than higher income households. There is a calculator on the home page.
May 16, 2010
18 posts
5 upvotes
London

Same
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
EddandEddie wrote: Yes , i had this issue so I selected "desktop site" on chrome. It worked after that.
Thanks, good to know it's not just me. I'm on my macbook though. Maybe I'll try my phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3152 posts
1862 upvotes
Heath_29 wrote: Lower income households will benefit more from this program than higher income households. There is a calculator on the home page.
Your benefits appear to be based on average bill and not income. If you select monthly bills of $1000, income of 100 or 99999 doesnt make any difference.

I used a windows desktop and had no issues with the form.
Last edited by RubberCheese on May 15th, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
Shaynelle wrote: Thanks, good to know it's not just me. I'm on my macbook though. Maybe I'll try my phone.
Tried on my phone, was able to click submit but then it just goes to a blank page. I emailed them.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
160 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
RubberCheese wrote: Your benefits appear to be based on average bill and not income. If you select monthly bills of $1000, income of 100 or 99999 doesnt make any difference.

I used a desktop and had no issues with the form.
Do you mind sharing what browser you were using? Maybe it's Chrome giving me grief.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3152 posts
1862 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote: Do you mind sharing what browser you were using? Maybe it's Chrome giving me grief.
I use Chrome on windows10.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
mkannuri wrote: I applied last week and was eligible to get rebate of $30 out of my current bill based on the income and no of household members.
I don't think the fund covers bill rebates.
You might mean this ?
https://ontarioelectricitysupport.ca/
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15993 posts
7449 upvotes
RFD

Same here, the submit button does nothing. Tried Chrome and MS Edge
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2011
10166 posts
5555 upvotes
Toronto
You know their website is broken when IE doesn't even work, wtf.
Aug 5, 2007
962 posts
445 upvotes
I also had trouble clicking Submit. I had to turn off my adblocker (uBlock Origin) for it to work. I’m using Firefox on desktop with Tracking Protection turned on, so seems it was only the ad blocker that caused problems.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3031 posts
1082 upvotes
Mississauga
aasoror wrote: I don't think the fund covers bill rebates.
You might mean this ?
https://ontarioelectricitysupport.ca/
Yes,
As i first applied for the OP's links, i was been called by those guys and told me that i would be better off to apply for their electricity support than their program.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9182 posts
3859 upvotes
Toronto
Cannot submit. Tried on Firefox and Chrome.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)