Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Ontario Bill 148 and independent contractors

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 9:35 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2017
1 posts

Ontario Bill 148 and independent contractors

Has anyone been impacted by the recent passage of this bill into law? I'm a software developer myself and in the past when working through recruiting agencies for government contracts and such , I received payment through my own corporation and remitted my own HST each month as well as paying myself and filing payroll taxes and CPP premiums. Looks like with the recent change the recruiting agency wanted me to sign on as an employee for the agency and they take care of all the payroll taxes. I believe I'll now pay more personal taxes but I suppose I'll be eligible for EI benefits which isn't available as a contractor. I guess the bill must be impacting a lot of SW developers who were working as contractors.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6448 posts
3550 upvotes
Edmonton
I don't think it's your Bill 148. I think it's the CRA crack-down and changes. I'm getting pressure from my vendor to either incorporate or become an employee, and I'm out in Alberta.

C
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
1655 posts
310 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:06 am
I don't think it's your Bill 148. I think it's the CRA crack-down and changes. I'm getting pressure from my vendor to either incorporate or become an employee, and I'm out in Alberta.

C
Isn't it beneficial to incorporate