Parenting & Family

Ontario Birth Certificate: Long form and short form have different registration #?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 3:04 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2011
91 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa

Ontario Birth Certificate: Long form and short form have different registration #?

I was just looking at my daughter's birth certificate since I am applying a passport for her and I noticed that:

On the short form the registration number is something like xxxx-xx-xxxxxx
On the long form the registration number is, however, xxxx xxxxxx

So basically the long form is missing the 2 digits shown in the middle on short form. All the rest are the same numbers. Is this normal?

Also I noticed the "certificate #" shown on the short form is xxxxxxx001 and the certificate # on long form is xxxxxxx010.

Do you see this on your child's birth certificate? Thanks.
42 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7891 posts
924 upvotes
1010101 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2014 8:55 pm
I was just looking at my daughter's birth certificate since I am applying a passport for her and I noticed that:

On the short form the registration number is something like xxxx-xx-xxxxxx
On the long form the registration number is, however, xxxx xxxxxx

So basically the long form is missing the 2 digits shown in the middle on short form. All the rest are the same numbers. Is this normal?

Also I noticed the "certificate #" shown on the short form is xxxxxxx001 and the certificate # on long form is xxxxxxx010.

Do you see this on your child's birth certificate? Thanks.
We only got long-form, the short-form is kind of useless. You should call ServiceOntario and ask them.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24409 posts
10771 upvotes
Ottawa
Considering they are technically different forms, the reference identifier may just be that.
As long as the birth date, address/city, hospital and parents name are correct; I'm sure it is fine.
Also, since you are applying for a passport; the long form supersedes the short form!
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7891 posts
924 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 11:39 am
Considering they are technically different forms, the reference identifier may just be that.
As long as the birth date, address/city, hospital and parents name are correct; I'm sure it is fine.
Also, since you are applying for a passport; the long form supersedes the short form!
You must use the long form to apply for a child passport, Passport Canada will not accept short form for a child passport application because the short form does not identify the child's parents.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
1031 posts
97 upvotes
Winkle wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 11:42 am
You must use the long form to apply for a child passport, Passport Canada will not accept short form for a child passport application because the short form does not identify the child's parents.
This ^ . Wish we would have known this beforehand. Get the long.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2297 posts
432 upvotes
Winnipeg
"Has a Canadian passport previously been issued to a child?

If a Canadian passport or travel document has previously been issued to the child and it is the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) who applied for the previous passport or travel document participating in the new application process, a proof of parentage document is not required.

You will still need to submit proof of citizenship, but, in this case, a short-form or wallet-sized birth certificate that doesn't indicate the name(s) of the parent(s) is acceptable.

All other documentation is still required.
"

Source
http://www.passport.gc.ca/info/16-.aspx ... ada#parent
May 16, 2016
5 posts
hi There, can you guide me how long it took for birht certificate to arrive after you filled and submitted online form?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4715 posts
185 upvotes
Winkle wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2014 11:42 am
Never knew this as well :(
So if you got the short form, there is no other option out there to get a child's passport, other than re-applying to get the long form?!
Feb 10, 2008
580 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto
leo0582 wrote:
May 17th, 2016 5:25 pm
hi There, can you guide me how long it took for birht certificate to arrive after you filled and submitted online form?
We just had a baby and ordered both long and short online and they both arrived in just over a week.
May 16, 2016
5 posts
Thank you for your reply
When did you fill online form after baby was born ? And which hospital was the delivery . I am assuming it would also depend on forms sent by hospital for registration .
Sep 24, 2006
688 posts
49 upvotes
The middle 2 digits in the long form should be "05". The other 10 digits should be the same. I came across this anomaly when renewing my son's health card.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7318 posts
804 upvotes
GTA
gretzky99 wrote:
May 22nd, 2016 1:16 am
So if you got the short form, there is no other option out there to get a child's passport, other than re-applying to get the long form?!
Yep. I found out the hard way too. I myself only have a small birth certificate (laminated like they were until around sometime in the 1980s), so I didn't think about needing a long form, but we had to order the long form when we needed a passport for my daughter.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20486 posts
2271 upvotes
Montreal
gretzky99 wrote:
May 22nd, 2016 1:16 am
You can use teh short form to apply for an adult passport though!
Feb 10, 2008
580 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto
leo0582 wrote:
May 22nd, 2016 11:10 am
Thank you for your reply
When did you fill online form after baby was born ? And which hospital was the delivery . I am assuming it would also depend on forms sent by hospital for registration .
I think I filled out the online application (4 in 1 thing) the day after she was born. The hospital was St. Michael's in Toronto and they gave us a little slip with all the info and the website to go to.
Dec 26, 2012
368 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
We also made the mistake of ordering the short form (initially saved us $ vs long form) vs the long form before knowing we needed the long form for our newborns passport (now we've spent $$$ twice).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)