Parenting & Family

Ontario Birth Certificate: Long form and short form have different registration #?

Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1377 posts
1186 upvotes
playerhayter wrote: I'm afraid that is not accurate. As you can see from the link
https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/e ... ndLongForm

... the 2nd option of the 3, the longer form "birth certificate with parental information" works for Child Passport and Adult Passport. The first option, the standard short form Birth Certificate is fine for Adult passport but not Child passport.

The third option "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" I'm talking about is detailed on the page. I know you CAN get a Child passport with the "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" as the passport office says it ok. However this page also states:
Given the amount of information contained in a Certified Copy of a Birth Registration it is not recommended to share this document unless expressly required.

So my question is more, should I be concerned given that official warning and the fact that I've accidentally opted for an unusual type of certificate.

Thanks
Yes this is true ONLY if the first and last name of both parents at birth are the same when the child was born. If any of the two parents changed first or last name then you need the "Certified Copy of Birth Registration".
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1342 posts
390 upvotes
Oakville
Just a quick update. Finally received the birth certificate (with parental info) and SIN (odd... had no idea the no longer do SIN cards anymore? just a piece of paper with the number?) yesterday!

So in all, it was pretty much 16 weeks! (I completed the bundle registration all the way back on September 21)
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
sjalali wrote: Hi Can someone confirm that in order to Apply for First time SIN Number by MAIL, the child is just over 18.
Child will sign and send printed Application. Do we need to send SHORT FORM or LONG FORM of Birth certificate?
I know it will be returned, but it cost more to get LONG FORM, in case it is lost in post.

If it is OK, we prefer to send SHORT FORM. But don't want to lose cycle time if they really need Long Form. It is not clarified in their Website or in the Application Instructions.

Thanks for any help/ guidance !!
Susheel
Better to make a trip to a ServiceCanada office and get it in person, much easier
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3681 posts
1735 upvotes
Trying to fill out my kid's passport form now and a little confused. There's a section for the Birth Certificate Registration number. I have a Certified Copy of Birth Registration... which is the Registration number? The red printed numbers beside the Certificate number: "Pxxxxxxx". There's a line that says "Registration Number" but no number immediately following it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
I want to replace my kids paper birth certificate with the polymer one. is this easy to do? and incase anyone asks, yes elementary schools do not need the long berth certificate they require the short ones.
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
Not to worry the schools will "accomodate" everyone, lolz.
Don't spend money unnecessarily on documents.
Feb 6, 2020
1 posts
Where did you go to get the long form
Birth certificate in 4 days?
We are living in the state and need the long form for a citizen application.
They did not accept the short form
And it is time sensitive!
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
BrianF10326 wrote: Where did you go to get the long form
Birth certificate in 4 days?
We are living in the state and need the long form for a citizen application.
They did not accept the short form
And it is time sensitive!
Applied online. I think thats the best way and then call them if necessary etc

Why do you need it for citizenship application? Or do you mean passport application?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: I want to replace my kids paper birth certificate with the polymer one. is this easy to do? and in case anyone asks, yes elementary schools do not need the long berth certificate they require the short ones.
So Instead of replacing the birth certificate which cancells and nullifys the old one, I ordered the "Birth Certificate w/ Parental Information" which is the polymer version of the infamous birth cert, but it has parental info on it also which you can use for service canada passport application. she told me so her self on the phone.
Drive an Escalade
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
GoodFellaz wrote: So Instead of replacing the birth certificate which cancells and nullifys the old one, I ordered the "Birth Certificate w/ Parental Information" which is the polymer version of the infamous birth cert, but it has parental info on it also which you can use for service canada passport application. she told me so her self on the phone.
In ontario we applied and got the $35 “certiffied copy of birth registration” which has the parental info. Passport office accepts that

Got it this week for our twins within few sats so pretty quick service for ontario registrar general(thunder bay)
Now hopefully they ease some passport applying restrictions so we can apply in person like before
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
yes the certified copy of birth registration is the legal sized paper 8.5x14 with all the info of the doctor who did the birth, parents info, etc, it actually costs $35 and has more info than needed for applying for a passport where as the birth certificate with parental info costs $10 less, and its polymer so its more durable, and it has parental info u can use that for a passport too and its cheaper and it looks nice and its easy to store and tuck away
Drive an Escalade
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
GoodFellaz wrote: yes the certified copy of birth registration is the legal sized paper 8.5x14 with all the info of the doctor who did the birth, parents info, etc, it actually costs $35 and has more info than needed for applying for a passport where as the birth certificate with parental info costs $10 less, and its polymer so its more durable, and it has parental info u can use that for a passport too and its cheaper and it looks nice and its easy to store and tuck away
Thx for this info.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
your welcome
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2331 posts
826 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: So Instead of replacing the birth certificate which cancells and nullifys the old one, I ordered the "Birth Certificate w/ Parental Information" which is the polymer version of the infamous birth cert, but it has parental info on it also which you can use for service canada passport application. she told me so her self on the phone.
Hi. How long did it take for you to receive the Birth Certificate with Parental Info? I also recently ordered this polymer one as the only one that I got years ago for my daughter was the Certified Copy of Birth Registration on legal sized paper.

Thanks.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
It was pretty quick, within 2 weeks or under 3 wks for sure.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I received my twins birth certificate in about 2 weeks after applying. SIN took longer, about 4 weeks
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
apnayloags wrote: In ontario we applied and got the $35 “certiffied copy of birth registration” which has the parental info. Passport office accepts that

Got it this week for our twins within few sats so pretty quick service for ontario registrar general(thunder bay)
Now hopefully they ease some passport applying restrictions so we can apply in person like before
You CAN get a Child passport with the "Certified Copy of Birth Registration" as the passport office says it ok. However this page also states:
Given the amount of information contained in a Certified Copy of a Birth Registration it is not recommended to share this document unless expressly required.

For the same price, you can get the Birth Certificate with Parental Info its short, sweet and to the point and its durable, and has only the right amount of info to get a child passport, no extra info that they are not privy to and it looks cool, its made of polymer
Drive an Escalade