• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2008 3:04 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 13, 2003
446 posts
18 upvotes

Ontario Building Code re Roofing/Shingles

Does anyone know what code is regarding felt paper and drip edges? Are these required?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
mystical2003 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 2:07 pm
Does anyone know what code is regarding felt paper and drip edges? Are these required?
How old is the house?
How much roof overhang?

Ontario Building Code is on Elaws, section 9.26 covers roofing items but that edition would seem to apply to houses build since 1992. Older houses may be different.
Dec 31, 1969
When re-roofing a house you can have a maximum of 2 layers of shingles. Felt paper must be a minimum of 3ft high and has to be tar paper or ice water shield.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
As mtl said, building code is the minimum required, not the optimum. Most roofers will use the minimum 3 feet of tar paper only. Is it the best option, nope but it's the cheaper option and the minimum required. We did lots of research when we did our roof and were amazed at what most roofers are doing. They also didn't mention the better options let alone quote for them (many outright refused). We opted to use ice and water membrane and replacing the existing vents with a ridge vent...
[OP]
Dec 13, 2003
446 posts
18 upvotes
The house is less than a year old. Noticed that their was not even any felt paper when I was taking the christmas lights down this weekend. I thought that at minimum it would be code. In retrospect yes I should have looked into this further with the builder and put drip edges with ice and water shield.

Was hoping someone had an electronic version of the building code and could send me the relevant sections. Or scan and send a hard copy.

Even if someone can confirm what it says in the code I will go buy a copy.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2003
446 posts
18 upvotes
Whitedart wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 5:00 pm
How old is the house?
How much roof overhang?

Ontario Building Code is on Elaws, section 9.26 covers roofing items but that edition would seem to apply to houses build since 1992. Older houses may be different.
I see bits and pieces on e-laws. But can't find the whole thing. I am looking for the 1992 edition. The 2006 edition would be too new for mine based on when my purchase agreement was made.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
mystical2003 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2008 12:32 pm
The house is less than a year old. Noticed that their was not even any felt paper when I was taking the christmas lights down this weekend. I thought that at minimum it would be code. In retrospect yes I should have looked into this further with the builder and put drip edges with ice and water shield.

Was hoping someone had an electronic version of the building code and could send me the relevant sections. Or scan and send a hard copy.

Even if someone can confirm what it says in the code I will go buy a copy.
What I found was that it is required, but with a number of exceptions. Probably best to call the Building Inspection people where you live and ask for their interpretation of how this applies to your house, as it appears that distance from roof edge to interior wall, roof slope, degree days, unheated spaces, etc. provide exemptions.

9.26.5. Eave Protection for Shingles and Shakes

9.26.5.1. Required Eave Protection

(1) Except as provided in Sentence (2), eave protection shall be provided on shingle, shake or tile roofs, extending from the edge of the roof a minimum of 900 mm up the roof slope to a line not less than 300 mm inside the inner face of the exterior wall.

(2) Eave protection is not required,

(a) over unheated garages, carports and porches,

(b) where the roof overhang exceeds 900 mm measured along the roof slope from the edge of the roof to the inner face of the exterior wall,

(c) on roofs of asphalt shingles installed in accordance with Subsection 9.26.8.,

(d) on roofs with slopes of 1 in 1.5 or greater, or

(e) in regions with 3 500 or fewer degree-days.

9.26.5.2. Materials

(1) Eave protection shall be laid beneath the starter strip and shall consist of,

(a) No. 15 asphalt-saturated felt laid in two plies lapped 480 mm and cemented together with lap cement,

(b) Type M or S roll roofing laid with not less than 100 mm head and end laps cemented together with lap cement,

(c) glass fibre or polyester fibre coated base sheets, or

(d) self-sealing composite membranes consisting of modified bituminous coated material.

9.26.6. Underlay Beneath Shingles

9.26.6.1. Materials

(1) Except as required in Sentence (2), when underlay is used beneath shingles, it shall be,

(a) asphalt-saturated sheathing paper weighing not less than 0.195 kg/m
× < >