• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 10:21 am
[OP]
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes

Ontario corporation processing time

hi,
I was wondering if anyone know how long is the processing time to register a Ontario Corporation is? In particular, how long do I wait between submitting the forms (either in person or online) to registering for business number and HST number from the CRA?

I see some for-profit Ontario corp services charging feeds for "same-day" registrations, but I feel that's just the service provider submitting the documents within the same day. There must be some processing time before the gov gives back a corporation number right? What's that length of time usually?

thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4941 posts
248 upvotes
Markham
If submitted online and no validation issues, articles submitted online should be processed within 5 min
[OP]
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes
What happens if you drop it off in person? How long till you get a corporation number in that case?
[OP]
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes
just an update, I went a head and did a online Ontario incorporation for my numbered company using one of the least expensive service providers. it cost ~$350 and I got the corporation number and Certificate of Incorporation right away (within 2 mins).
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
ontbusiness2018 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 11:27 am
just an update, I went a head and did a online Ontario incorporation for my numbered company using one of the least expensive service providers. it cost ~$350 and I got the corporation number and Certificate of Incorporation right away (within 2 mins).
Good job! I wish you and your corporation well. Just remember to voluntarily dissolve if your corporation fails so you don't have to worry about taxes and other's don't have to send you reminders!

You should get HST registration forms by mail or something? Or did you already register?
[OP]
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes
I believe I get the business number registered automatically if I register an Ontario corporation. There is a processing time before it's mailed to me. I believe I can call CRA to obtain the BN before it's mailed but I have yet to do that.
I need the BN before registering for the HST number. I'll keep everyone posted as these kinds of little questions drove me near mad before incorporating.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12547 posts
3080 upvotes
Here 'n There
I always do it myself and go to the counter. Instant processing. Paying those companies that do it for you is a totally non-RFD way to do it.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
ontbusiness2018 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 11:33 pm
I believe I get the business number registered automatically if I register an Ontario corporation. There is a processing time before it's mailed to me. I believe I can call CRA to obtain the BN before it's mailed but I have yet to do that.
I need the BN before registering for the HST number. I'll keep everyone posted as these kinds of little questions drove me near mad before incorporating.
Great update!
[OP]
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:58 am
I always do it myself and go to the counter. Instant processing. Paying those companies that do it for you is a totally non-RFD way to do it.
Just a note for anyone wondering:
I used ESC, their online form is basically a digitized version of the PDF form you download off the government website. The other service providers charge an outrageous price for setup, but ESC charged only a $50 fee but the government fee is only $300 ( as opposed to $360 by person). After taxes, I saved a whopping 4 bucks, but I did save the trip down to the Service Ontario office.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes
I called CRA today, just 24hrs after doing an Ontario Incorporation. They had my corporation in their system and I also took the time to register (though the phone) to get my HST number. They said I would receive the initial CRA letter informing me of my business number (which got created when I registers the ONT corp) within a few weeks. But I called and got the number right away.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
ontbusiness2018 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:03 pm
I called CRA today, just 24hrs after doing an Ontario Incorporation. They had my corporation in their system and I also took the time to register (though the phone) to get my HST number. They said I would receive the initial CRA letter informing me of my business number (which got created when I registers the ONT corp) within a few weeks. But I called and got the number right away.
Now what are you off to do? Have you satisfied all government registration requirements at this point? What's you next challenge?
[OP]
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes
After you create the corporation, you have to do the initial filing with govn't ONT.
And also create the corporation bank account.
Organize the corporate records(minute binder), which is easy to put together on your own. No need to buy one.
After that, ready to roll.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
No liquor license? I thought that was important. In case someone quote me. I am just pointing out potential licensing requirements based on whatever your business is.

Are you rolling sushi roll?
[OP]
Jan 6, 2018
29 posts
5 upvotes
No extra licences needed for me. I'm pretty much done with the registration process now.