Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto

Ontario to create cannabis control board, open up storefronts

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark ... lized.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ontario ... -1.4280073
The Ontario government will announce Friday that it will create a cannabis control board and open up to 60 storefronts to manage the sale and distribution of marijuana in the province, CBC News has learned.

The plans include restricting marijuana sales to those 19 and older, a year above the minimum age recommended by the federal government's cannabis task force report in December.

The 30 to 60 stores selling marijuana to the public will not be housed inside existing LCBO stores as Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne had previously suggested.

Illegal pot shops in Ontario would be shut down over the next 12 months.

In April, legislation was introduced in the House of Commons to legalize and regulate the sale and distribution of marijuana on or before July 1, 2018.

Many of the decisions about how the drug will be sold and taxed are being left to the provinces.

At a premiers meeting in Edmonton in July, the premiers announced they would ask the federal government to postpone legalization if issues related to road safety, taxation, training for distributors and public education are not addressed.

The premiers said they would report back on progress by Nov. 1 and would seek such an extension if the federal timetable was deemed "unrealistic."

"The starting point is, have we met the public safety concerns, are we sure we have the provisions in place to protect youth, do we understand what the highway traffic implications are?" Wynne said at the time. "It's those issues that we have to resolve because we have to keep people safe."

Shortly after the premiers' announcement, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his government intends to stick to the July 2018 deadline.
We all knew they would do it even though it's the worst possible option. They've decided to keep all the current drug dealers in business and keep prices high because they believe so firmly in the nanny state. The new stores are going to be run by the LCBO.

Why are they killing independent business like this? Why are they trying to keep the black market alive? How is 'highway traffic safety' improved by this new store? What are your thoughts?
Last edited by Piro21 on Sep 8th, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
104 replies
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2943 posts
186 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 10:56 am

Why are they killing independent business like this?
May be they are all incorporated?Winking Face
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4830 posts
710 upvotes
The timeline for legalizing marijuana and implementing sales is suspicious and short and unsurprising.

I have yet to see the current Liberals do anything that isn't
- grabby grab for taxes and other sources of funds
- ridiculous handouts in citizenship, funds, or favoritism (hello, overreaching tenancy law reforms?) to those who have little and seemingly bring little to our societal table...so that they can buy votes

I have yet to be surprised with any action that involves them NOT stealing from the medium to small private businesses or private employees in general so they can give it to themselves or transform it into more handouts. Only the big, multimillion dollar businesses have a decent chance of having positive political sway (even if the employees themselves can still be kicked around.)

So for the pathetic Liberals to be having dollar signs in their eyes over the revenues to be made in the legal marijuana business is completely unsurprising to me.

HOWEVER

I do think this is the better choice of action over the small shops that are pre-emptively opening up and selling it. I'd rather that individuals who don't have a personal profit at stake be responsible for selling it, being responsible for potentially having to say "no", and not for these random little shops to open at random locations that can disturb the local neighborhood. While I do not see the need for alcohol to be so tightly controlled in Ontario (I think private sales should be fine), for marijuana I strongly support the LCBO type of set-up. Perhaps allowing pharmacies to sell it should be OK too (and again, unsurprisingly the government does not seem to be going this route because they want to monopolize the marijuana sales), although I personally wouldn't want to deal with it and I doubt that seniors picking up their blood pressure or diabetes medications want to share the same space with recreational shoppers, heh.

I am actually a bit creeped out by the types of ahem, entrepreneurs, who are tripping over themselves to open these pot shops before it's fully legalized and approved.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1032 posts
126 upvotes
I have a cop buddy that says alot of his cops friends are getting together and opening a few of these! The same 5 cop friends also buy house together fix them and sell them lol cops are all not stuip.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7963 posts
2804 upvotes
Toronto
Hi.
shawn01 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:50 pm
I have a cop buddy that says alot of his cops friends are getting together and opening a few of these! The same 5 cop friends also buy house together fix them and sell them lol cops are all not stuip.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4830 posts
710 upvotes
To add more to this debate (and throwing more shade at the Liberals which I despise):

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... creational
According to a recent survey conducted by Forum Research and published in the Toronto Star, very few Ontarians want marijuana sold at the LCBO. Out of 1,173 people polled, 35 per cent said a pharmacy is the most appropriate place to sell legal marijuana, 26 preferred dispensaries and 20 per cent voted for the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO).

While the results are a vote of confidence for the pharmacy industry, the chair of the Ontario Pharmacists Association says their mandate is solely focused on medicinal marijuana.
In pharmacies in Ontario, these are the broad levels of drug controls:
Schedule I (prescription-only) Controlled & Narcotic Drugs
Schedule I (prescription-only) regular drugs
Schedule II - sold only through pharmacies "behind the counter"
Schedule III - sold only through pharmacies but can be on self-selection shelf
Unscheduled - i.e. can be sold at the local gas station, which is why sometimes you will see e.g. small tubes of Tylenol

Currently, we DO have cannabinoid-based drugs being prescribed and sold by pharmacies. They are controlled at the HIGHEST RESTRICTED level, i.e. Schedule I "Narcotic". Locked up in the safe, has special prescription requirements, and doctors have to be very specific about the quantity and form of the prescription (written only, not verbal.)

So how does the government go from pharmacy-only, prescription-only Narcotic-classified cannabinoids...to "Hey let's legalize the plant and sell it willy-nilly like wine at an LCBO-type of outfit"? The whole rationale for these levels of control is supposedly that the public needs to be protected or have access to a medical professional if they have concerns or questions, but now this government is proceeding with "We're OK with high school graduates working at government shops to be able to sell it to 19 year olds."

Schedule III drugs (only to be sold on pharmacy shelves, NOT local 7-11 or gas stations) include Polysporin eyedrops, Zantac, hydrocortisone anti-itch cream, Reactine for kids are now being more restricted in their sales than psychoactive cannabis products.

Lastly, I don't have anything against marijuana itself being legalized for medicinal or recreational use (and I support other drugs that should be decriminalized), but I do think the restriction should be for 21-year olds or older, especially for a psychoactive substance. Adolescent and young adult brains are still developing into their early 20's, and some individuals with a predisposition for (and/or family history of) mental disorders such as schizophrenia may be triggered by exposure to, or regular use of such substances.
“Canada is one of the highest per-capita users of morphine in the world,” said MacLeod. “This is ridiculous and it kills thousands of people, and meanwhile we’re trying to encourage recreational THC use in the LCBO. We’ve got to get a handle on this.”
100% agree, especially with the scary fentanyl/opioid crisis we're currently seeing across the country.

This government is a load of bull. What I really oppose is how individual and societal safety has just been hastily thrown aside for what I perceive as a massive money grab.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Sep 8th, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Foul language
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28221 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
Another Liberal bureaucracy.....MCBO :facepalm:
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14181 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 1:27 pm
To add more to this debate (and throwing more shade at the Liberals which I despise):

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... creational

In pharmacies in Ontario, these are the broad levels of drug controls:
Schedule I (prescription-only) Controlled & Narcotic Drugs
Schedule I (prescription-only) regular drugs
Schedule II - sold only through pharmacies "behind the counter"
Schedule III - sold only through pharmacies but can be on self-selection shelf
Unscheduled - i.e. can be sold at the local gas station, which is why sometimes you will see e.g. small tubes of Tylenol

Currently, we DO have cannabinoid-based drugs being prescribed and sold by pharmacies. They are controlled at the HIGHEST RESTRICTED level, i.e. Schedule I "Narcotic". Locked up in the safe, has special prescription requirements, and doctors have to be very specific about the quantity and form of the prescription (written only, not verbal.)

So how does the government go from pharmacy-only, prescription-only Narcotic-classified cannabinoids...to "Hey let's legalize the plant and sell it willy-nilly like wine at an LCBO-type of outfit"? The whole rationale for these levels of control is supposedly that the public needs to be protected or have access to a medical professional if they have concerns or questions, but now this government is proceeding with "We're OK with high school graduates working at government shops to be able to sell it to 19 year olds."

Schedule III drugs (only to be sold on pharmacy shelves, NOT local 7-11 or gas stations) include Polysporin eyedrops, Zantac, hydrocortisone anti-itch cream, Reactine for kids are now being more restricted in their sales than psychoactive cannabis products.

Lastly, I don't have anything against marijuana itself being legalized for medicinal or recreational use (and I support other drugs that should be decriminalized), but I do think the restriction should be for 21-year olds or older, especially for a psychoactive substance. Adolescent and young adult brains are still developing into their early 20's, and some individuals with a predisposition for (and/or family history of) mental disorders such as schizophrenia may be triggered by exposure to, or regular use of such substances.

100% agree, especially with the scary fentanyl/opioid crisis we're currently seeing across the country.

This government is a load of bull. What I really oppose is how individual and societal safety has just been hastily thrown aside for what I perceive as a massive money grab.
I agree with this. I don't have anything with marijuana legalization per se, but I don't want it to affect me. I feel that any form of use that creates a smell should remain illegal. Eat it, drink it, do whatever you want as long as it only affects you and doesn't have any secondhand effects. I also don't want anyone to be driving or doing anything potentially dangerous while under the influence of this stuff.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Sep 8th, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Match quoted post edit
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3018 posts
298 upvotes
Mississauga
As much as people wanted a more free market solution, think for this to withstand the politics of the issue, it has to happen this way.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5107 posts
662 upvotes
The LCBO has 660 stores across the province but there will only be 60 dispensaries?

Going to be some brutal coverage out there, don't think people are going to want to drive 30 mins to get some green...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4830 posts
710 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:45 pm
The LCBO has 660 stores across the province but there will only be 60 dispensaries?

Going to be some brutal coverage out there, don't think people are going to want to drive 30 mins to get some green...
They are setting up online orders as well.
Jun 5, 2017
127 posts
6 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
olek86 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:26 pm
As much as people wanted a more free market solution, think for this to withstand the politics of the issue, it has to happen this way.
i think it has more to do with the government wanting more control over this then it should have.
Oct 6, 2015
791 posts
399 upvotes
Absolutely disgusting. They should regulate it like parsley, ie: not regulate it at all. And stop wasting the public's money on scams that are intended just to increase its price, and hence, its attractiveness to organized crime.

LCBO bureaucrats controlling it, good lord, when is the election? Ontario, now more than ever, needs a true "common sense revolution".

I don't smoke nor use the stuff, and I find it repugnant and disgusting, but I see no reason why it is at all harmful and in need of any regulation. Tylenol and NSAID abuse kills or damages more people every year than marihuana.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3881 posts
1253 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 1:37 pm
Another Liberal bureaucracy.....MCBO :facepalm:
I think they are sticking to the scientific "cannabis"

Piro21 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 1:40 pm
I agree with this. I don't have anything with marijuana legalization per se, but I don't want it to affect me. I feel that any form of use that creates a smell should remain illegal. Eat it, drink it, do whatever you want as long as it only affects you and doesn't have any secondhand effects. I also don't want anyone to be driving or doing anything potentially dangerous while under the influence of this stuff.
They say that they want to keep recreational marijuana out of workplaces and public places, but what do you do about stuff like this? This guy is protesting all over the region for his right to smoke absolutely anywhere as a medical marijuana user:

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/75 ... g-seizure/
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3437 posts
195 upvotes
I don't understand why people smoke dope in the first place when, if you want to alter your conscious, there is a such a fine selection of inexpensive brands of Scotch available for purchase at the LCBO Smiling Face With Open Mouth