Off Topic

Ontario to create cannabis control board, open up storefronts

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 12:51 am
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
28256 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
kevindurant1 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:40 pm
You missed the last part.



It means it will be treated like Tobacco AND Alcohol..

How did I miss that? I underlined it??
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1257 upvotes
aviador wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:26 pm
So far the Ontario authorities plan is pretty vague (if they plan to just adopt the same restrictions applied to tobacco and alcohol.) Is this cannabis regulation a closed-door matter that won't have a public consultation stage?
Oh no, they had a massive public consultation stage last year and heard from everybody motivated to send an email. I even posted the link in rfd o/t.
aviador wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:26 pm
For example, regular peeps are allowed to grow their own tobacco (15kg per year per adult 18+ in the household, IIRC). I doubt that rule will be extended to marijuana [IMO, it'll remain a crime regardless of quantity]. I can't imagine peeps in Ontario's far north growing their personal-use cannabis crop from seeds (available on the market) and cheap artificial lighting (fluorescent or led) for an all-year-round growing season
The limits in the bill on grow your own (C-45, view here: http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42 ... st-reading ) say limit 4 plants, none over 100 cm tall.
aviador wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:26 pm
Another issue still unaddressed publicly is impaired driving, unlike alcohol marijuana intoxication levels can't be measured on spot (with the current devices) and lab tests might yield false positives because marijuana components remain for weeks in humans. This creates an iffy issue for the police since they won't be able to prove marijuana impaired driving (when there's no pot inside the vehicle.)
I think they need to switch to getting people to play a video game with eye tracking to test impairment: people who smoke weed build a tolerance and the dose:effect is not predictable. They should use it to pick off incompetent drivers in general too.
Penalty Box
Apr 8, 2013
7209 posts
237 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 7:00 pm
How did I miss that? I underlined it??
It will be legal to smoke anywhere that you can smoke cigarettes so.....get your boxing gloves on
So why would you post this if you didnt miss it?.

Its not legal to drink anywhere you are allowed to smoke. We dont know what the exact rules will be so dont assume. We are what? the 2nd country to legalize and regulate it worldwide?.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_ ... by_country
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
28256 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
kevindurant1 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:51 am
So why would you post this if you didnt miss it?.

Its not legal to drink anywhere you are allowed to smoke. We dont know what the exact rules will be so dont assume. We are what? the 2nd country to legalize and regulate it worldwide?.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_ ... by_country
I posted a link to a press release. If you read the link you would know what was said, what point do you make besides that you are kevindurant1?
I already mentioned that Uruguay was the only country to legalize marijuana.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Penalty Box
User avatar
Aug 23, 2006
2954 posts
186 upvotes
Ontario to create cannabis control board, open up storefronts
Ontario governmenet at it again. How to waste money and screw things. Go Wynne Go.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
28256 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
sandeeS wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:20 am
Ontario governmenet at it again. How to waste money and screw things. Go Wynne Go.
Not defending the Ontario libs by any means (or kevinduran1 may like me :)) but at least they are saying and planning something. Whatever they say now can be changed and/or manipulated. The outrage and feedback may lead to a better approach? Who knows.
Having said that, no other government has said a thing, including the feds. That may mean, for the other provinces, a last minute approach without public consultation or without sufficient consultation is going to be implemented.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Penalty Box
User avatar
Aug 23, 2006
2954 posts
186 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:48 am
Not defending the Ontario libs by any means (or kevinduran1 may like me :)) but at least they are saying and planning something. Whatever they say now can be changed and/or manipulated. The outrage and feedback may lead to a better approach? Who knows.
Having said that, no other government has said a thing, including the feds. That may mean, for the other provinces, a last minute approach without public consultation or without sufficient consultation is going to be implemented.
Image
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
28256 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
sandeeS wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:56 am
Image
Is that cartoon some kind of commentary on what I had said? Nice cartoon but what does it have to do with my post?
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
Government should be the only sellers of marijuana. Price might be a little higher, but at least the profits generated will be plowed back into the provinces they operate. That would theoretically lower taxes on normal canadians as well, or at least provide less of a reason for government to jack up taxes on people. Let the government profit...I even suggest that they open up these store locations in rich neighborhoods. Its the best way to profit, selling marijuana to rich kids.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2007
2775 posts
149 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:45 am
When I come back to Ontario if someone puffs into my face or a neighbor in the condo is smoking up be prepared to get punched in the face.
Prepare to lose your Toyota in the lawsuit... Confused Face
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 11:29 am
Government should be the only sellers of marijuana. Price might be a little higher, but at least the profits generated will be plowed back into the provinces they operate. That would theoretically lower taxes on normal canadians as well, or at least provide less of a reason for government to jack up taxes on people. Let the government profit...I even suggest that they open up these store locations in rich neighborhoods. Its the best way to profit, selling marijuana to rich kids.
This makes no sense. Increase tax to decrease tax? If anything there should be more tax on Junk Food since it's an actual burden to the health care system. They should base these decisions on harm, not some vague, undefined perception of harm.

When you say normal, are you intimating that people who smoke MJ are not normal? Adding normal before an identifier is a cheap way to obfuscate a point, and doesn't help to clarify anything.



What Ontario is doing will only misuse resources, and does nothing to solve the problems they claim to want to solve (less crime, less addiction). Wynne is a fool, and only knows one way to do things. We sell the stuff we should keep (Ontario Hydro), and keep the stuff the market would do better with. If they just regulated companies, they could still get their cut, and everyone else would be better off.

We are doomed unless we get the vast majority of these fools out of office. Our system is broken.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1257 upvotes
WontonTiger wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 4:57 pm
What Ontario is doing will only misuse resources, and does nothing to solve the problems they claim to want to solve (less crime, less addiction).
IMO legalizing pot is part of the opioid strategy. Pot gives pain relief equal about to codeine (which breaks down to small dose morphine). They want people to switch over. At the same time,

Health Canada moves to ban non-prescription codeine sales
Codeine products now widely available over the counter would require prescriptions under new federal measures
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/codeine ... -1.4284013

...they are reducing access to even lesser opioids.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
WontonTiger wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 4:57 pm
Prepare to lose your Toyota in the lawsuit... Confused Face



This makes no sense. Increase tax to decrease tax? If anything there should be more tax on Junk Food since it's an actual burden to the health care system. They should base these decisions on harm, not some vague, undefined perception of harm.

When you say normal, are you intimating that people who smoke MJ are not normal? Adding normal before an identifier is a cheap way to obfuscate a point, and doesn't help to clarify anything.



What Ontario is doing will only misuse resources, and does nothing to solve the problems they claim to want to solve (less crime, less addiction). Wynne is a fool, and only knows one way to do things. We sell the stuff we should keep (Ontario Hydro), and keep the stuff the market would do better with. If they just regulated companies, they could still get their cut, and everyone else would be better off.

We are doomed unless we get the vast majority of these fools out of office. Our system is broken.
no, im saying the only one who should be licensed sellers of marijuana or other recreational drugs, including alcohol should be government and nobody else. Best way to control and regulate these narcotics is by a centralized monopoly. And the fact that government profits from these sales, means lower taxes. Ontario makes $2billion in profit from alcohol alone in 2016. Add marijuana to that, and maybe they will make $5 billion in profit per year. A good way to prevent these idiots from privatizing valuable public assets is by giving them some real cash flow. Taxes are good but everyone and their mother loves to dodge them, so yeah, some profitable business ventures on the side would do a lot of good things for the government and regular canadians.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2007
2775 posts
149 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 6:10 pm
no, im saying the only one who should be licensed sellers of marijuana or other recreational drugs, including alcohol should be government and nobody else. Best way to control and regulate these narcotics is by a centralized monopoly. And the fact that government profits from these sales, means lower taxes. Ontario makes $2billion in profit from alcohol alone in 2016. Add marijuana to that, and maybe they will make $5 billion in profit per year. A good way to prevent these idiots from privatizing valuable public assets is by giving them some real cash flow. Taxes are good but everyone and their mother loves to dodge them, so yeah, some profitable business ventures on the side would do a lot of good things for the government and regular canadians.
Consumption taxes do have their merits, the problem is that new taxes are added, and old ones aren't typically removed. They continue to get more money to waste without proper oversight, and burn us into debt. We need to get the public sector under control before adding more multi billion dollar tax increases.

I know that what I want is a pipe dream since most people are far too short sighted to see what will happen in 10-20 years. People generally care about selfish interests, and don't see threats until they are already upon them. Idiocracy is real.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Aug 23, 2006
2954 posts
186 upvotes
WontonTiger wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 7:09 pm
Consumption taxes do have their merits, the problem is that new taxes are added, and old ones aren't typically removed. They continue to get more money to waste without proper oversight, and burn us into debt. We need to get the public sector under control before adding more multi billion dollar tax increases.

I know that what I want is a pipe dream since most people are far too short sighted to see what will happen in 10-20 years. People generally care about selfish interests, and don't see threats until they are already upon them. Idiocracy is real.
Agree 100%.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
Not only that but look at states like California..

Weed on the black market is so plentiful in regions like this that legalization would have no effect on the black market with this "tax to high heaven" mentality.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Sep 16th, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoted post deleted

Top