• Nov 12th, 2017 12:51 am
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
2472 posts
312 upvotes
Scarborough
WontonTiger wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 7:09 pm
Consumption taxes do have their merits, the problem is that new taxes are added, and old ones aren't typically removed. They continue to get more money to waste without proper oversight, and burn us into debt. We need to get the public sector under control before adding more multi billion dollar tax increases.

I know that what I want is a pipe dream since most people are far too short sighted to see what will happen in 10-20 years. People generally care about selfish interests, and don't see threats until they are already upon them. Idiocracy is real.
I agree with the abuse of public sector, especially the unions are pathetic. But hey, the LCBO and Ontario made $2 billion in profits with the unions strangling them, so I guess they're doing something right. The only thing I want to see the government doing differently is to scrap the ideas of new store fronts. Just combine LCBO with the marijuana operation. They can do some renovation if necessary. This way they can save $$$ on labour costs and maximize profits. The government needs to run the business like private corporations would.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3923 posts
578 upvotes
Kingston
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:42 am
I disagree, the Government should have total control over this. Just like alcohol and tobacco.
I agree, it needs to be treated just the same as alcohol and cigarettes. In my opinion it should be sold in any store that alcohol is sold. Also in pharmacys since it has medical use.

The rules and age restrictions should be similar to drinking alcohol/smoking cigarettes as well. You can't drink and drive, you can't drink while walking down the street or in a park, you can't smoke in restaurants etc.
Why give marijuana more strict rules. It's not any worse then smoking or drinking.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36687 posts
2545 upvotes
Toronto
Tha DraGun wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:16 pm
I agree, it needs to be treated just the same as alcohol and cigarettes. In my opinion it should be sold in any store that alcohol is sold. Also in pharmacys since it has medical use.

The rules and age restrictions should be similar to drinking alcohol/smoking cigarettes as well. You can't drink and drive, you can't drink while walking down the street or in a park, you can't smoke in restaurants etc.
Why give marijuana more strict rules. It's not any worse then smoking or drinking.

Because its "Marijuana" its an evil "drug". It can lead to cocaine use, divorce, fornication, and evil!
booze is for fun. And cigarettes is just a nasty habit.

Just kidding… But thats the reason for the strict rules. b/c of "morals".
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1257 upvotes
Is it morals though when something is a health risk though? Alcohol can devastate the path it takes through the body with cancers and disorders: esophageal cancer, colitis, hepatitis, all sorts of good stuff. Smoking also causes cancers. Marijuana doesn't have a really deep history of study but it's already known that for a very small percentage of people it can evoke very serious mental problems.

I think that if something can put you in the hospital it should be controlled/regulated in some way. E.g., in Colorado they were having the most hospital trips off of edibles, which won't be legal here at all.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1257 upvotes
AndySixx wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:44 pm
The chances of people developing health issues due to marijuana is likely not much different than cigarettes, and that's solely by specific deliveries of it. I personally presume, having taken post secondary science courses, that almost everything burned and inhaled is going to be carcinogenic in some way. However, what are the dangers of edibles? You can't OD on weed. Meanwhile, millions of people have destroyed livers due to booze..
The problem with edibles is people often come to them with the experience of having smoked a joint and gotten high within minutes. Then they take edibles, and...well, nothing happens, possibly for hours. So they take more edibles. And they they are OD'd and endure cyclic vomiting and the spins for hours, like a relentless bad drunk. Then they might go to the hospital and take up resources even though they will fully recover. More serious is the issue of kids finding and ingesting edibles and going though all that, but again, it's not going to kill them. I dunno, I think once you get chemistry involved and start extracting things from bud, you're dealing with more of a pharmaceutical product vs. herbal, IMO. I think it's fair to treat the stuff differently.

And you're right, alcohol is just an incredibly evil and dangerous drug compared to weed (and a lot of other things). I'd just argue that drug-like products be regulated by the existing drug system, and weed/bud is something else.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Ontario is way overestimating their revenues on this. Not many stoners are going to be able to afford paying LCBO rates for joints. Black market will prevail.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28256 posts
4221 upvotes
Ottawa
eldeejay wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 11:04 am
Ontario is way overestimating their revenues on this. Not many stoners are going to be able to afford paying LCBO rates for joints. Black market will prevail.
Oh yeah, a price war :)
I agree the Ontario government is overestimating the tax revenue....just like they overestimated the carbon tax revenue but hey, it is still more than they had the day before the tax.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4010 posts
574 upvotes
And what is "LCBO rates for joints"?

1g weed on black market is $10-12. Medical marijuana users can buy 1g for $5-6. They could slap a 40% tax on that and still be competitive with black market. If prices are similar, you'd think that most people would rather buy from licensed stores, unless you're talking old school stoners with a long term relationship with their "supplier".
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1257 upvotes
JustBob wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 5:48 pm
And what is "LCBO rates for joints"?

1g weed on black market is $10-12. Medical marijuana users can buy 1g for $5-6. They could slap a 40% tax on that and still be competitive with black market. If prices are similar, you'd think that most people would rather buy from licensed stores, unless you're talking old school stoners with a long term relationship with their "supplier".
Well there's going to be what, 30-40 stores to begin with for all of Ontario? And in Toronto right now there are 100 dispensaries that will be shut down?

I'm sure this is the sort of thing a lot of people might use but not want to be seen buying. Sort of like going into the sex store. Very edgy for some people. I think mail order is going to be pretty popular.

IMO a lot of weed these days is diverted medical that is marked up with a tax that goes to your dealer/supplier/what ever you want to call the guy. Generally people call them friend or buddy. That's the thing: no one is buying pot from scary gangsters, they just know a good guy that can help them out. It's brought prices down from the historical street price of $10/g closer to $7. These people no longer face trafficking charges: it's called distributing now, and if I read things right that's 14 years.

I'm wondering if there will be a difference in the tax rate on medical vs. recreational marijuana. Health products generally aren't taxed. That could exacerbate the distributing described above. I wonder how aggressively they will enforce the new penalties.

I think that people will be attracted to the legal market for the superior product: no branches or seeds, not harsh or raunchy or diesel-scented, pre-rolled perhaps, even filtered. I think the tumbleweed people grow in farmer's fields will be pushed down in price because the quality is not comparable. People will be able to buy legal weed with stats as to the content of THC and likely CBT and people will put their faith in brands over generic. For this people will be willing to pay a higher price, so maybe it's not fair to look at a price per gram when I think we can expect some pretty finished products from a government-run operation in the near future.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1257 upvotes
Ontario considers pricing recreational pot at $10 a gram
Finance minister also ballparks $100M as potential annual gross tax revenue from legal pot
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/m ... -1.4298540
The current street price of illicit marijuana varies across Canada and by the amount purchased, according to an analysis released last fall by the parliamentary budget officer. It revealed the current average price of weed in Ontario is $8.64 per gram.

The price of $10 a gram is a tipping point, according to Mark Stupak, founder of SoCo Medical Cannabis Collective in Toronto.

"If the government proposes to sell pot below $10 a gram, then yes, they will eliminate the black market," Stupak told CBC Radio's As It Happens last week. "If, on the other hand, they keep selling at above $10 a gram, then I don't believe the market will be gone."
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2510 posts
900 upvotes
Smart people won't pay $10/gram for skunk weed that won't give you a buzz from the Ontario Government. They will also lace it with other chemicals for clinical trials on unsuspecting people.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1257 upvotes
The 1 lb per plant is what law enforcement uses to highly overestimate potential plant yield, which is more like 3-4 oz. All four plants will at best yield one lb. That site you've you've got there av is something like this:

Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
4010 posts
574 upvotes
$10/g seems fine to me. When they quote a $7.xx average price, that's for larger quantities. Good luck trying to buy 1g of quality weed for $7 on the street. You'll average $7 if you buy an ounce.
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
aviador wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 6:57 am
Just saw an Internet Ad for the "Grow Up Cannabis Conference & Expo -- Be Part of Canada's Fastest Growing Industry -- Niagara Falls, ON. October, 2017 "

This "industry" now looks so academic, respectable and business-like. It looks like as if the organized crime around the marijuana market and marijuana's harmful effects on physical and mental health on junkies had completely disappeared overnight.
Maybe if enough of us are high we'll settle down a bit.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4734 posts
401 upvotes
Scarborough
its gonna stink everywhere......worst decision ever to legalize this crap.
Not gonna make much money, and even if it does, it will be wasted by dumb politicians