Ontario CUPE School Strike - DEAL REACHED - SCHOOLS OPEN TOMORROW

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2019 3:49 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
No strike... Now I will go and make a lunch for my daughter for tomorrow.!
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
"My group chat is blowing up with everyone talking about their unfinished assignments."
Last edited by smartie on Oct 6th, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13283 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Strike averted!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Apr 6, 2005
11683 posts
2908 upvotes
Toronto
Evil Baby wrote: Tentative deal. That's good news.
This means they get to vote again and if they do not agree then this whole process starts again....
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Ogata wrote: This means they get to vote again and if they do not agree then this whole process starts again....
From my experience, if the Union negotiators have agreed to the deal, the bulk of the members will as well. There will be some that will be unhappy but overall it'll get passed.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
Ogata wrote: This means they get to vote again and if they do not agree then this whole process starts again....
I don't recall a time that ever happened. Union leadership would recommend that the deal be accepted and membership generally follows those recommendations.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1078 posts
663 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Glad the Ford Government realized the importance of Education. Hope they see the same with Health Care.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3475 posts
3995 upvotes
GTA
Great Job by Ford. Not easy trying to balance the needs of students, financial restraints of massive debt and overtaxed citizens, and a union holding the province hostage.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
DaveTheDude wrote: Great Job by Ford. Not easy trying to balance the needs of students, financial restraints of massive debt and overtaxed citizens, and a union holding the province hostage.
And under high stress during election
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
smartie wrote: And under high stress during election
All while on an extended vacation.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
499 upvotes
noway wrote: Glad the Ford Government realized the importance of Education. Hope they see the same with Health Care.
The only thing he realized the importance of is not pissing off the federal Conservative party by creating bad press this close to the election. If you want to see if he really realizes the importance of education, watch how he reacts to the ETFO job action (which will not start until after the election is over), then you’ll see his true colours. Demonizing workers fighting for such things as smaller class sizes, protection from workplace violence, keeping qualified teachers in kindergarten classrooms, and stopping further cuts to special education will really show how he values “putting students first”. I am glad the CUPE education workers got a fair deal though, whatever the government’s motivation. They completely deserve it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
One thing the ford government should do in the future negotiations is to instead of 4 year contracts, change them to 10 year, and make it so they do not expire on the summer when question period has adjourned for summer break.
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Dec 4, 2004
730 posts
729 upvotes
GTA
GoodFellaz wrote: One thing the ford government should do in the future negotiations is to instead of 4 year contracts, change them to 10 year, and make it so they do not expire on the summer when question period has adjourned for summer break.
It would be worse having contracts expire during the school year, way higher chance of having a school disruption. Also, good luck with getting the union to agree to 10 year contracts. They couldn't even get a 4 year this time, it's only for 3 years and expires just after the next provincial election.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18181 posts
14183 upvotes
Toronto
DaveTheDude wrote: Great Job by Ford. Not easy trying to balance the needs of students, financial restraints of massive debt and overtaxed citizens, and a union holding the province hostage.
without knowing what was conceded, there is no way of knowing if this is a good or bad deal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)