Careers

[Ontario] Do severances usually include a few months of medical and dental insurance coverage?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 3:49 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41602 posts
10236 upvotes

[Ontario] Do severances usually include a few months of medical and dental insurance coverage?

Is it mandatory to provide some coverage or is the employer free to decide? Does it matter if the person who got let go is permanent but has only been working at the company for six to seven months at a general manager capacity? Thank you.

http://ipfs.ca/products/coverage-for-te ... employees/

Did you know that an employee leaving an employee benefits plan has at least 31 days (some insurance companies allow for up to 60 days) to convert that coverage into life insurance and/or individual or family health insurance without medical underwriting?

This provides terminated employees with enough time to replace the group coverage that they had while being employed.

The Supreme Court has decided the onus is on employers to make sure terminated employees are aware of this policy. As well, Ontario Court of Appeal recently determined an employer can’t assume terminated employees will have long-term disability coverage at their new job. It means you could still be responsible for their LTD coverage – even after they leave
your company.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4405 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
It depends on the company. I got terminated before, the company give me 3 months medical and dental coverage. 3 years later the second company I work for terminated me and also terminated my medical and dental coverage immediately.
Feb 3, 2015
925 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
cgtlky wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:27 pm
It depends on the company. I got terminated before, the company give me 3 months medical and dental coverage. 3 years later the second company I work for terminated me and also terminated my medical and dental coverage immediately.
Yes that's how my company did it.