Apr 16, 2002
12675 posts
7864 upvotes
Toronto

Ontario - Doors Open. Various cities.

Deal Link:
Expiry:
September 30, 2017
Doors Open is a unique way to explore various buildings/properties for free. Many which aren't usually publicly accessible.
Last edited by sprung on Apr 21st, 2017 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3272 posts
4128 upvotes
Ontario
Hamilton sites for May 5-6. http://www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/Events/Hamilton.aspx
That set facility-must be at the former Hamilton Street Railway bus barn (on Wentworth St. @ Burlington St.) unless that was a manufacturing building.
Surfing 2017.😎 Wins: $50 gc, Starbucks coffee & 40 bonus stars (stars vapourized as I did not hit gold level before my May annual date).
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3272 posts
4128 upvotes
Ontario
Toronto event is two weekends away!
Surfing 2017.😎 Wins: $50 gc, Starbucks coffee & 40 bonus stars (stars vapourized as I did not hit gold level before my May annual date).
Aug 22, 2014
790 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Any suggestions?
Aug 22, 2014
790 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sprung wrote:
May 24th, 2017 11:40 am
Have you ever been before? With 150 buildings it kind of hard to suggest without knowing what you like, what you've already seen, how you're getting around, etc?
Fair point! :)

We've been a couple times. We just walked to the locations since we live in the downtown core but I'd be open to taking transit somewhere farther out. We mainly viewed clusters of lesser known buildings and occasionally hit a few popular spots but found we spent a lot of time just waiting in line. Is RC Harris worth the wait?

These are the places we've seen. Although some we've just been to for "regular" events, not specifically during Doors Open. Not sure how much more you'd get to see this weekend?
  • 401 Richmond Street West
  • Campbell House Museum (we just missed the cut off time for Canada Life)
  • Design Exchange
  • Enoch Turner Schoolhouse
  • Gladstone Hotel
  • John Street Round House: Steam Whistle Brewing
  • Little Trinity Church
  • Market Gallery
  • Redpath Sugar
  • Sony Centre for the Performing Arts
  • Spadina Museum: Historic House & Gardens
  • St. James Cathedral
  • St. Lawrence Hall
  • TD Centre
  • The Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre
  • The Great Hall
  • Toronto's First Post Office
Aug 22, 2014
790 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sprung wrote:
May 24th, 2017 12:57 pm
If your a fan of art deco and cool machinery then yes, RC Harris worth the wait. Maybe make it your first stop of the day when crowds are smaller?

I really like Black Creek Pioneer Village. It is close to York University so could be good to combine that with visit to the two new TTC subway stations.

159 Manning is also a new addition this year. That's where I'll be volunteering on Sunday morning. It is party house from what I've read!

MaRS centre is quite lovely and right by Queens Park subway.

MOCA at the Auto Building and Waterworks Building are new ones that also look very intriguing.
Wait...Tim McCready's 159 Manning?? Lol that is amazing.
Apr 24, 2011
57 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know which locations have any freebie giveaways (e.g. samples/food/souvenir widgets)? For example, I think the John Street Roundhouse had beer samples.
Jan 25, 2012
117 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for sharing. Looks interesting.