• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2015 1:40 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 13, 2006
887 posts
22 upvotes

Ontario e-test... pending codes?!

First time e-testing since the new system came into effect last year. Wife's 2007 Odyssey has a sporadic P0420 code (cat efficiency below threshold) and I'm NOT dumping $1K into this van for a freaking catalytic converter... it passed the sniff-test 2 years ago with flying colours and I had the code at the time as well.

My question(s):
Can I pass the e-test with a PENDING code (but Check Engine Light not yet illuminated)?
Can I pass the e-test with two monitors not ready? (CAT and EVAP)

I only care about a conditional not-ready pass... keeping the van for the forseeable future.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
You need a reader that can read the ready/not ready condition, if it says ready you will pass (though i don't know much about pending codes, thats a new one to me)
Jul 23, 2006
135 posts
15 upvotes
pending codes..you will not pass untill you fix the problem....
if you have a android phone you can get the app(torque)it has a emissions readiness...
you still will have to get a bluetooth obd2 adapter....
Jul 13, 2006
887 posts
22 upvotes
My scan tool has readiness tests. I could get to the emissions check with:
- NO pending/current codes, and
- TWO monitors "Not Ready" (CAT, EVAP)

However, the timing of the pending codes being thrown is why I asked about that. I need enough time to get all of the other monitors running, but not too long that the P0420 begins pending. ;)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
IIRC, it takes about 10min from start to finish.
If your code is thrown <10min, you may be out of luck!
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2732 posts
1031 upvotes
I was also told (can't remember exact numbers now) that if you do fail the test, go to an accredited shop to give estimate on work needed... if it exceeds somewhere around $500, then I could pay a fee ($100ish?) and be on my way
Aug 11, 2009
915 posts
229 upvotes
Brampton
This new Emission test law sucks! --- Says the Vehicle owners

Aahaha, It takes time! But the money comes eventually --- Says Garage Mechanics
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
curls00 wrote: First time e-testing since the new system came into effect last year. Wife's 2007 Odyssey has a sporadic P0420 code (cat efficiency below threshold) and I'm NOT dumping $1K into this van for a freaking catalytic converter... it passed the sniff-test 2 years ago with flying colours and I had the code at the time as well.

My question(s):
Can I pass the e-test with a PENDING code (but Check Engine Light not yet illuminated)?
Can I pass the e-test with two monitors not ready? (CAT and EVAP)

I only care about a conditional not-ready pass... keeping the van for the forseeable future.
Reminds me of the adage I see mentioned a lot on forums anytime cat issues are discussed....

[INDENT]" catalytic converters don't die - they're murdered "

[/INDENT]
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Jan 23, 2010
305 posts
95 upvotes
Hamilton
I don't know if this will work for you or not, but its just a cheep suggestion. Please don't be upset if it does not work

Get some Lucas fuel system treatment, fill up on a empty tank. Reset your obd code, and wait for all the monitors to be active, once they are active with no codes take it in for test. If you don't have a scanner ask your friends, family or co-workers you are bound to find one.

This worked for my father-inlaw , maybe we got lucky. His light never returned for the Cat Converter.
Jul 13, 2006
887 posts
22 upvotes
I asked a guy at a test shop.
Loophole: clear codes in parking lot, get test. fail for 'not ready' monitors. Come back in 24+ hours and 30+km and clear codes again in parking lot. As long as you have the same or Fewer not ready monitors, you get the "conditional not ready" pass. Valid for license plate renewal but not for transfer of ownership. :-)

About the cat being murdered... Engine timing belt tensioner broke 1.5yrs ago, causing misfires and 2600 in repairs. That was probably the bullet in the cat for sure.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
curls00 wrote: I asked a guy at a test shop.
Loophole: clear codes in parking lot, get test. fail for 'not ready' monitors. Come back in 24+ hours and 30+km and clear codes again in parking lot. As long as you have the same or Fewer not ready monitors, you get the "conditional not ready" pass. Valid for license plate renewal but not for transfer of ownership. :-)

About the cat being murdered... Engine timing belt tensioner broke 1.5yrs ago, causing misfires and 2600 in repairs. That was probably the bullet in the cat for sure.
No reset can occur in the last 30km.
Jun 21, 2006
860 posts
502 upvotes
for code P0420 some times a o2 defouler can fix it, it tricks the secondary o2 sensor to think the cat is working properly
it works %80 of the time and it only cost any where from $40-$100
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
alexg26 wrote: pending codes..you will not pass untill you fix the problem....
if you have a android phone you can get the app(torque)it has a emissions readiness...
you still will have to get a bluetooth obd2 adapter....
FWIW, I believe my car had 2 pending codes when I passed. I had 2 "not readies" and went it to get conditional and then tailpipe test (which you can get after 2 non readies) but much to my surprised I passed. As soon as I got home, I tested it and sure enough I was down to 1 "not ready" and had 2 pending codes but got a full pass. While the codes are still pending the CEL will not go on and it appears that you will pass.
Kasakato wrote: No reset can occur in the last 30km.
I don't believe they have any way of telling how long since last reset (at least on my car - if you look at different cars with OBDII, you'll notice that different cars support different features of it). I received my full pass 14 km after the last reset. I believe the 30 km is only the requirement between tests (i.e. if you do a retest, you need to drive a minimum of 30km since the last test).
Dec 1, 2003
608 posts
250 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone know how many not ready state is allowed for a 1999 car before failing? I know 2001 or newer allows 1 not ready state and you can get a full pass. I thought I read somewhere 1998-2000 allows 2 not ready state and give a full pass( but I am unable to confirm this).
Mar 5, 2006
227 posts
170 upvotes
crow wrote: Anyone know how many not ready state is allowed for a 1999 car before failing? I know 2001 or newer allows 1 not ready state and you can get a full pass. I thought I read somewhere 1998-2000 allows 2 not ready state and give a full pass( but I am unable to confirm this).
You are correct. "1998-2000 model-year vehicles are permitted two monitors to be “not ready,” and 2001 and newer models are allowed one monitor “not ready,” and still pass"

I just had my test done an hour ago and passed (full pass) with 1 monitor in "not ready" status. Was stressing (All the misinformation in online forums added to the stress) for 2 weeks as i had a "service light" on and active/pending codes. Cleaned an O2 sensor, cleared all codes and drove to get test done after all but 1 monitor (of course the O2 one) was "not ready". No issues passing. I'm sure the O2 codes might come back but i can deal with that later now.
Mar 1, 2014
73 posts
17 upvotes
pending codes dont affect your etest result.

the 2 unset monitors will cause a not ready result. you will have to wait 24 hours and drive 30kms. then retest. if still not ready you will get a two speed idle test.

i run etests, and have to do this all the time.

you will only be eligible for a conditional pass if you fail an emissions test and get diagnosed and the cost of the repair is over 450 dollars.

you are not eligible for a conditional pass if your vehicle is not ready, only if it fails.
Dec 1, 2003
608 posts
250 upvotes
Ottawa
sunnyb wrote: You are correct. "1998-2000 model-year vehicles are permitted two monitors to be “not ready,” and 2001 and newer models are allowed one monitor “not ready,” and still pass"

I just had my test done an hour ago and passed with 1 monitor in "not ready" status. Was stressing (All the misinformation in online forums added to the stress) for 2 weeks as i had a "service light" on and active/pending codes. Cleaned an O2 sensor, cleared all codes and drove to get test done after all but 1 monitor (of course the O2 one) was "not ready". No issues passing. I'm sure the O2 codes might come back but i can deal with that later now.

Great, thanks for the info. How long/KM did you drive before taking the test (after CEL reset)?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
mikeneal wrote: pending codes dont affect your etest result.

the 2 unset monitors will cause a not ready result. you will have to wait 24 hours and drive 30kms. then retest. if still not ready you will get a two speed idle test.

i run etests, and have to do this all the time.

you will only be eligible for a conditional pass if you fail an emissions test and get diagnosed and the cost of the repair is over 450 dollars.

you are not eligible for a conditional pass if your vehicle is not ready, only if it fails.
This is not correct / complete information.

If you get one not ready test, you can (need to) retest after 24hrs and 30kms. If you get not ready a 2nd time AND ARE DOING E-TEST for renewal, you get conditional pass (did exactly this in January 2014) (you do not do idle test and you do not have to spend any on repairs). If you get not ready a 2nd time AND ARE DOING E-TEST for new registration, you can do a two speed idle test and get full pass.

For a failed test, I believe they still do the conditional pass if you spend over $450.
Mar 5, 2006
227 posts
170 upvotes
crow wrote: Great, thanks for the info. How long/KM did you drive before taking the test (after CEL reset)?
I use a bluetooth OBD2 adapter with the Torque android app so i knew exactly when all but 1 monitor was ready. For my truck that was about 10km of stop and go driving and a couple of minutes of speeds around 80km/h.

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/muzqea.jpg[/IMG]
Mar 5, 2015
1 posts
Mississauga
sunnyb wrote: You are correct. "1998-2000 model-year vehicles are permitted two monitors to be “not ready,” and 2001 and newer models are allowed one monitor “not ready,” and still pass"

I just had my test done an hour ago and passed (full pass) with 1 monitor in "not ready" status. Was stressing (All the misinformation in online forums added to the stress) for 2 weeks as i had a "service light" on and active/pending codes. Cleaned an O2 sensor, cleared all codes and drove to get test done after all but 1 monitor (of course the O2 one) was "not ready". No issues passing. I'm sure the O2 codes might come back but i can deal with that later now.

You just saved me $660 that Honda was asking for repairs!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)