Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1168 posts
53 upvotes

Ontario: Eco-madness out of control!

You may know me here as the anti-5-cent bag crusader. Well, the slippery slope just got a lot more stupid this month:

http://www.makethedrop.ca/sites/default ... rdFees.pdf

When you stock up on these items, make sure you're paying the correct fee for destroying the environment by having purchased them (Seriously, I can't make this stuff up):

Headache relief $0.02 for 1000
Liquid cough medication $0.01 per litre
Anti fungal foot cream $0.07 per kilogram
Topical spray prescribed by a doctor $0.06 per litre
Prescription medication pills (e.g., antibiotic) $0.12 per 1000
Topical cream prescribed by a doctor $0.52 per kilogram
Asthma inhaler $7.76 for 1000 units
Hand soap $0.20 for 100 litres
Vitamin C dry tablets $0.05 per 1000
natural health product pills $0.005 per 100
B12 chewable gummies $0.01 per 250
Powder vitamin supplement $0.14 per 750-grams
Liquid vitamin in a dropper $0.02 per litre

Considering how badly overcharged people have been, watch out!

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... fee-errors
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2009
1235 posts
139 upvotes
Montreal
I'm sure there will be mistakes, but it's hard to dismiss the general theme. We are heavily subsidized.
Dec 19, 2007
360 posts
6 upvotes
I'm laughing my ass off at $0.14 for CFL bulbs.

Last year they were going to save the planet... now... oops? I guess they realized whats going to happen when a few hundred million of them wind up at landfills.

Not that 14 copper pennies can do anything about toxic mercury vapor anyway.. still good for a lol.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1168 posts
53 upvotes
Nexxion wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 4:27 pm
I'm laughing my ass off at $0.14 for CFL bulbs.

Last year they were going to save the planet... now... oops? I guess they realized whats going to happen when a few hundred million of them wind up at landfills.

Not that 14 copper pennies can do anything about toxic mercury vapor anyway.. still good for a lol.
Weird fact: When you combine mercury, copper, and some other stuff, you get dental amalgam.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2615 posts
205 upvotes
Markham
It's getting better. There was an article to positioning toll rolls as green initiative. $$$$ ka ching $$$$$
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7956 posts
1615 upvotes
Wonder how many people get who Stewardship ON (responsible for the orange drop eco fee) is? I bet few realize the bod is the manufacturers adn stores(including Can tire fingered for the massive overcharging)

* Who We Are

The Board consists of 16 directors, 14 elected by qualified voting organizations whose members are stewards and two independent directors appointed by the elected directors. Given the growing importance of environmental Stewardship as a public policy objective, Stewardship Ontario is aware of the need for independent representation free of commercial ties to either Blue Box or MHSW wastes to provide an independent, external perspective to the governance of the Stewardship Ontario enterprise. The Board also believes that governance disclosure is as critical as financial disclosure. Accordingly, the annual report to stakeholders (including the Ministry of the Environment, Waste Diversion Ontario and Stewards) includes a report on the Board’s performance for the previous year, any issues identified as well as measures that will be undertaken to promote continuous improvement in governance and board-related matters.
The current Board includes:

* Ian Anderson, President, CKF Incorporated
* Debbie Baxter, Chief Sustainability Officer, LoyaltyOne Incorporated
* Diane Brisebois, President and CEO, Retail Council of Canada
* Tamara Burns, Divisional VP Specialty Services, Leisure and Seasonal, Sears
* John Coyne, VP, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Unilever Canada Inc.
* Robert Chant, VP, Corporate Affairs, Loblaw Companies Ltd.
* Ron Davidson, VP, Human Resources, Apotex Incorporated
* Calla Farn, VP, Government, Public Affairs and Corporate Affairs, McCain Foods
* Mark Malo, President, Clorox Company of Canada Ltd.
* Sylvain Mayrand, Executive Vice President, A. Lassonde Industries Incorporated
* Reg McLay, SVP Marketing & Sourcing Services, Canadian Tire Corporation
* Brian Prendergast, Senior VP, Consumer, Recochem Incorporated
* Gordon Meyer, Business Unit Director, Food and Beverage, Pet Care and Home Care, Procter & Gamble
* Jim Quick, President and CEO, Canadian Paint and Coatings Association
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1984 posts
144 upvotes
Just wait till they start charging carbon tax on everything.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7950 posts
1022 upvotes
I am generally for and agree with such things as carbon taxes, eco-fees and road-tolls if and only if the money actually goes towards what they're supposed to do (i.e. paying for waste disposal, improving public transit, subsidize research and development of alternative energy etc.) and not lining the government's/politician's pocket books (which sadly, is usually the case).
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5381 posts
981 upvotes
shepd wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 4:16 pm
Hand soap $0.20 for 100 litres[/url]
I never knew liquid soap was sold in 100l barrels! :eek:
No external links in signatures - Mods
Nov 17, 2009
251 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
It's not clear at all at this point as to what Stewardship Ontario actually does, other than collecting massive amounts of cash and hiring bunches of overpaid executives and consultants.

Just to show off the austere and frugal ways in which they run the operation they had a sprawling booth at the Green Living show in April with a bunch of people sporting IPads (which at that point weren't even for sale in Canada), which served no discernible purpose.

In therms of recycling points, all of the "Orange Drop Off" locations (HHW depots, enviro-days) where there before and independently of them, funded by the municipalities.

Now that they are in the game does that mean that the Blue Bin program in TO will be paid for by them and not the city? I'm holding my breath for a property tax refund.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
50 upvotes
Today I was on the bus downtown and the bus goes down a street with a lot of sex shops.

I saw a very funny sign on the sidewalk.
I would have taken a pic but that meant getting off the bus.

Sign said:

"There is no Eco-Fee on dildos and sex toys" :lol:

Not making this up at all.
Kinda akward seeing that on a sign outside on the sidewalk.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2778 posts
497 upvotes
Ajax
Charge me the ecotax at store level and that is where I drop the empty or used product. DONE
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2006
3433 posts
283 upvotes
Downtown Canada
gostinger wrote:
Jul 17th, 2010 8:28 pm
charge me the ecotax at store level and that is where i drop the empty or used product. Done
+1.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1030 posts
18 upvotes
shepd wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 4:16 pm
You may know me here as the anti-5-cent bag crusader. Well, the slippery slope just got a lot more stupid this month:

http://www.makethedrop.ca/sites/default ... rdFees.pdf

When you stock up on these items, make sure you're paying the correct fee for destroying the environment by having purchased them (Seriously, I can't make this stuff up):

Headache relief $0.02 for 1000
Liquid cough medication $0.01 per litre
Anti fungal foot cream $0.07 per kilogram
Topical spray prescribed by a doctor $0.06 per litre
Prescription medication pills (e.g., antibiotic) $0.12 per 1000
Topical cream prescribed by a doctor $0.52 per kilogram
Asthma inhaler $7.76 for 1000 units
Hand soap $0.20 for 100 litres
Vitamin C dry tablets $0.05 per 1000
natural health product pills $0.005 per 100
B12 chewable gummies $0.01 per 250
Powder vitamin supplement $0.14 per 750-grams
Liquid vitamin in a dropper $0.02 per litre

Considering how badly overcharged people have been, watch out!

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... fee-errors
Don't go along with ths crap by calling these "fees." Call them for what they are - "taxes." The government has decided to go the airline route - charge for every little thing. Raise money by suddenly charging fees for things that used to covered by tax money. Then they can claim it is for a noble cause. But the bottom lines is that's it's still a tax. And it is all extremely regressive taxation at that. They let the wealthy inherit with no tax and that charge the poorest members of society and the middle class carry the brunt with these "fees."

Add the HST and the land transfer tax and you can barely breathe in the #%#$@$ province anymore without the government reaching into your pocket. But hey, Canadians are sheep. It's only going to get worse. Keep up the good work, voting in the Liberals and NDP mayors like Miller. Mel Lastman used to run North North with a huge surplus without all this crap.
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I'm just waiting for the day *someone* realizes that we all make methane on a daily basis!

What will they charge for THAT???