None
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
vero95 wrote: it means things are getting worse in the western Canada
it does not have to mean things are getting better in Ontario
Yea. But the loonie is dropping so that might improve Ontario a little.
AtlsNBP wrote: I'll believe it when I see it.

Just bring Heinz, Kellogs, and ship building contracts back. That would be a good start. Oh, and start making steel in Hamilton again.
+1
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3280 posts
489 upvotes
Mississauga
vero95 wrote: those revisions were caused by oil prices
it's nice but oil prices may go up as fast as they went down
Seems like that will not happen as soon as some hope, Alberta with no consumption tax relies on the idea that high oil prices provide revenue for the province and stable employment for people in the province who then consume more via the idea that purchases are not as heavy taxed as other provinces.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto

Just bring Heinz, Kellogs, and ship building contracts back. That would be a good start. Oh, and start making steel in Hamilton again.
No, let's bring innovation and leave the past in the past. Worthwhile jobs, wishful thinking, but hopefully we can start. Hoping Blackberry gets back on track too
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7086 posts
5217 upvotes
Well ....

http://www.oafb.ca/hungerreport2014

"One of the main factors contributing to food insecurity has been unstable employment. Currently 1.7 million jobs in Ontario are considered insecure, and since 2008, of the jobs created in Canada, 80 per cent have been temporary positions, contributing to the pervasive problem of hunger in Ontario."

Higher Education has not improved the situation ....

"More than 50 per cent of Ontarians who are considered to be 'the working poor' have some type of post-secondary education and are living in a two-person household."

So when the banks say the economy will improve does it just mean that more people will be able to afford food?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7086 posts
5217 upvotes

Heinz came back. They just rehired workers for $10 less an hour. (Source: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/business/a ... ke-pay-cut )

Ontarians were just overpaid in relation to workers elsewhere. Race to the bottom ....
Deal Addict
May 28, 2006
2389 posts
181 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: Yay! More immigrants to Ontario!

Well I think gone are the days that you here about people in Ontario and immigrants are moving to Alberta instead of Ontario. It will balance out to Ontario getting the lions share of immigrants I am sure. With Ontario already having the best living conditions and weather, leading in economy should ensure it gets the lions share of immigrants and not bone chiling cold Alberta I am sure.

Immigrants help lead to a more vibrant culture and expansion of development in a region. I look forward to seeing that trend in the future in Toronto
Immigrants don't choose Alberta as their city of destination. Most migrants in Alberta are from other provinces mainly to the East.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Psycho44 wrote: Immigrants don't choose Alberta as their city of destination. Most migrants in Alberta are from other provinces mainly to the East.
Alberta is a city?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1811 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
The headlines are more a case of the western provinces will start to underperform the eastern provinces due to the slump in oil prices rather than anybody knocking the ball out of the park.

And if oil rebounds, the headlines will change again, just like the banks forecasts.

This is just the cheering-and-pumping departments trying to spin the slump in oil prices in a good light.

"Because you know, yeah we, banks, put all our chips and cheering power behind selling/pumping the energy sector because it was the only sector where prices were going up and were never going to come down again ... yeah I know I know, we did hear it before but this time it was going to be different .... and F$$%, like usual, we got caught with our pants down to our ankles.

If these energy prices stays or *gasp* go even lower and people start not buying the energy sector anymore or *double-gasp* start selling it, there goes the commissions gravy train down the crapper.

So now its plan B, trying to find another sector to pump and sell because you know we got to keep people interested in something to keep those commissions coming in.

So humm yeah, you know that deadbeat manufacturing sector sure seems to be less crappy than we thought after all.

Ok tell those F&*% idiots economist monkeys in the forecasting-and-cheering cages downstairs, who couldn't even freaking read pig entrails to tell us that oil prices were going to be down in the 50 handle a month ago, to start making their pay, get with the plan and issue another "forecast" now !!"
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11562 posts
148 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Psycho44 wrote: Immigrants don't choose Alberta as their city of destination. Most migrants in Alberta are from other provinces mainly to the East.
I would think they would not anyways since most filipinos here in Davao don't know what Alberta is, but know what Toronto is. That is the one city they are familiar with and expect to find the biggest job market cuz its a big city. So I expect a lot of filipinos there. Vancouver is the other one though. Of course a lot do go directly there But Toronto still beats it of course.
blahhh
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote: I would think they would not anyways since most filipinos here in Davao don't know what Alberta is, but know what Toronto is. That is the one city they are familiar with and expect to find the biggest job market cuz its a big city. So I expect a lot of filipinos there. Vancouver is the other one though. Of course a lot do go directly there But Toronto still beats it of course.
Weird... It seems like Timmy's is mecca for filipinos here
Penalty Box
Jan 7, 2011
1458 posts
171 upvotes
KW
renoldman wrote: Heinz came back. They just rehired workers for $10 less an hour. (Source: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/business/a ... ke-pay-cut )

Ontarians were just overpaid in relation to workers elsewhere. Race to the bottom ....
That sums it up beautifully, $24 an hour for a skilled trade there or you can be a firefighter in KW for $90K plus pension and bennies.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/522 ... -over-90k/

For many being a private sector worker in Ontario is like being a second class citizen.

I spent 10 years closing plants and shipping production lines out of Ontario, the employers that are left are 90% like this one - places to avoid exploiting new immigrants and the unfortunate, if the economy does improve to the point people become in demand again they will be the first to demand TWP's and they certainly won't improve wages. The government will only be too happy to cater to them - whatever fills the coffers so they can pay off their unions.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
clseea wrote: Weird... It seems like Timmy's is mecca for filipinos here
All the crap jobs goes to them. Timmys, McDonald's, Walmart, nursing homes etc. Life must really suck at home which make them so desperate. Not sure why j&f is such a Philippines cheerleader when that country obviously suck balls. That is why the people want to move to Canada.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3280 posts
489 upvotes
Mississauga
joe_greps wrote: That sums it up beautifully, $24 an hour for a skilled trade there or you can be a firefighter in KW for $90K plus pension and bennies.

For many being a private sector worker in Ontario is like being a second class citizen.

I spent 10 years closing plants and shipping production lines out of Ontario, the employers that are left are 90% like this one - places to avoid exploiting new immigrants and the unfortunate, if the economy does improve to the point people become in demand again they will be the first to demand TWP's and they certainly won't improve wages. The government will only be too happy to cater to them - whatever fills the coffers so they can pay off their unions.

here is a novel idea, why don't you organize workers so that they better treatment, oh right that means you would have to start a Union, we know how you feel about them.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
joe_greps wrote: That sums it up beautifully, $24 an hour for a skilled trade there or you can be a firefighter in KW for $90K plus pension and bennies.

This sounds stupid. Unions exist to get workers more wages to pay Union dues. No way they let government let businesses pay low wages to TFWs then cater to unions. The truth is business won't come back.
Penalty Box
Jan 7, 2011
1458 posts
171 upvotes
KW
olek86 wrote: here is a novel idea, why don't you organize workers so that they better treatment, oh right that means you would have to start a Union, we know how you feel about them.
I am in the electricians union - thanks for playing.
Penalty Box
Jan 7, 2011
1458 posts
171 upvotes
KW
spike1128 wrote: This sounds stupid. Unions exist to get workers more wages to pay Union dues. No way they let government let businesses pay low wages to TFWs then cater to unions. The truth is business won't come back.
Maybe I can make it simple - just for you!

Private sector industry is limited in wage capacity if they wish to remain at all competitive.
Over the last few decades they have gutted pretty much all union manufacturing and most remaining organizations are horrid employers.
Union campaigns in are rarely successful anymore as workers just expect to see employers close their operations instead of pay increases - better a bad job then none.
Wage inflation pressures are undermined by TWP and immigration programs.
Government supports this as bad employers generating revenues are better than no employers generating revenues.
Governments need the revenues to support the lavish wages and benefits their own unionized public sector workers enjoy.
Public sector unions support the government, make significant contributions to election campaigns and lobby extremely effectively to both their benefit.
Government rewards said unions with even more lavish contracts.
Deficits explode making all revenues critical and most all government policy ultimately is to ensure the benefits to it's public sector workers that elected them are maintainable.
Time passes and the gap between private and public sector wages for comparable work widens.
Private sector worker resentment grows though most of us just start making other plans - I live in Ontario, I work in AB - I would never work in Ontario again the wages are LOLz.
Don't think for a minute I am happy about it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6024 posts
1873 upvotes
Low oil + weak CAD means a lot more cross border shoppers coming over, and more manufacturing in the province.

Alberta is going to be in for a rocky road coming up.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: Low oil + weak CAD means a lot more cross border shoppers coming over, and more manufacturing in the province.

Alberta is going to be in for a rocky road coming up.
How do you figure?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1201 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Sure, Alberta will slow down. But that is more or less to be expected. Oil prices, however, aren't going to remain at $60 forever. Only a matter of time when they bounce back. Additionally, I'd hardly call it a trend reversal. Alberta will continue to have a stronger economy (and growth) than anyone else in the country. It'll just decelerate.

Alberta's energy reserves will tide it over for the next few decades to come. The real problem is to actually look beyond that and create a more sustainable economy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)