• Nov 1st, 2010 12:13 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 17, 2001
324 posts
172 upvotes

[Costco] Ontario - Every Kilowatt counts coupons are up

For home owners, the Every Kilowatt Counts is back - fall 2010 program runs from Oct 1 to 31

details on http://everykilowattcounts.ca/residenti ... /index.php

coupons are pretty much the same last year. Either print from online or get in-stores (home depot, costco, can tire, etc...)

http://everykilowattcounts.ca/residenti ... oupons.php

cheers,
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3663 posts
614 upvotes
Mississauga
Does spiral CFL count towards the coupon?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1168 posts
53 upvotes
I find it lame LED lightbulbs and other technologies that save more energy than CFLs aren't covered.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1661 posts
257 upvotes
Does anyone know where I can find either CFL that works with motion sensor OR mtion sensor that works with regular CFL?

I went to both CT and HD and they don't have either items, thanks
Jan 15, 2008
876 posts
52 upvotes
Oil country
shepd wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 10:13 am
I find it lame LED lightbulbs and other technologies that save more energy than CFLs aren't covered.
I agree. Thank goodness CFL's won't be around for much longer anyway, as LED technology is getting better and cheaper every month.
redflag999 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 11:35 am
Does anyone know where I can find either CFL that works with motion sensor OR mtion sensor that works with regular CFL?

I went to both CT and HD and they don't have either items, thanks
Leviton makes these sensors, you just have to find the store that carries them. Have you tried those "Instant On" or dimmable CFL's for a motion sensor circuit? Should work.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1661 posts
257 upvotes
paulo500 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 12:36 pm
I agree. Thank goodness CFL's won't be around for much longer anyway, as LED technology is getting better and cheaper every month.

Leviton makes these sensors, you just have to find the store that carries them. Have you tried those "Instant On" or dimmable CFL's for a motion sensor circuit? Should work.

That's what I was looking for, these "specialty" CFL that the $5 coupon can be used on. But HD, CT and Costco do not sell them. All the CFL I found in stores specifically say NOT to use on dimmers etc. All the sensor I found works with incandescent bulb and fluorescent lighting (Rapid Start Magnetic ballast ONLY).

Went to Leviton's website but didn't see any sensor that allows CFL although 1 reviewer mentioned he called Leviton and they indicate they do sell one but cost around $60 each (3 times the cost of a regular sensor switch)

I did find one from the states from www.brazix.com and cost around U$20 including shipping which seems very reasonable although they don't seem to ship to Canada :(
Dec 31, 1969
Just a reminder, Oct 31 is the last day to use these coupons. Just picked up a couple packs at HD, didn't even need to print out the coupons, cashier had them at checkout and applied them automatically, very cool :) .
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1168 posts
53 upvotes
redflag999 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:55 am
That's what I was looking for, these "specialty" CFL that the $5 coupon can be used on. But HD, CT and Costco do not sell them. All the CFL I found in stores specifically say NOT to use on dimmers etc. All the sensor I found works with incandescent bulb and fluorescent lighting (Rapid Start Magnetic ballast ONLY).

Went to Leviton's website but didn't see any sensor that allows CFL although 1 reviewer mentioned he called Leviton and they indicate they do sell one but cost around $60 each (3 times the cost of a regular sensor switch)

I did find one from the states from www.brazix.com and cost around U$20 including shipping which seems very reasonable although they don't seem to ship to Canada :(
Not that it matters TOO much, but that item (most likely) isn't approved for use in Canada. If it starts a fire, insurance won't pay because not only didn't you install an approved item, but you didn't get inspected, too (on their own, I doubt insurance would care, but with the double whammy, you can bet they'd take advantage of you).
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
1781 posts
16 upvotes
Dtwn G.T.A.
shepd wrote:
Oct 28th, 2010 10:13 am

The problem is that LED light-bulb technology isn't mature enough. They are much more expensive than CFLs yet provide only a modest reduction in energy consumption.
If you look up comparisons of lumens/watt for CFL and LED light bulbs, you will find that they are pretty much head to head right now. The only area that LEDs are advantageous is when you require all of the light to be directed in a certain direction(such as a spot light, or recessed lighting fixtures"), then LEDs will have a higher "useful lumens"/watt.

You might be thinking, "but I heard LED light bulbs only use a couple of watts! 3-5watts!" well, you're right, but you need to compare apples to apples. LED light bulbs are typically much dimmer than a fluorescent light-bulbs which on the low end also use only 7-9 watts.

As I have said before they are also not suitable for replacement of typical incandescent or CFL light bulbs as LED light bulbs have their light directed in only one direction often with a small viewing angle.
They're technology is getting better though, so maybe in 5-10 years we'll be replacing all our CFL light bulbs with LED light bulbs.
HOT DEAL - Ontario Every Kilowatt counts, $5 off LED Light-bulbs Coupon - Coupon expires October 31,2020
See you guys in 10 years :lol:
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1168 posts
53 upvotes
just_For_ipod wrote:
Oct 30th, 2010 12:11 am
The problem is that LED light-bulb technology isn't mature enough. They are much more expensive than CFLs yet provide only a modest reduction in energy consumption.
If you look up comparisons of lumens/watt for CFL and LED light bulbs, you will find that they are pretty much head to head right now. The only area that LEDs are advantageous is when you require all of the light to be directed in a certain direction(such as a spot light, or recessed lighting fixtures"), then LEDs will have a higher "useful lumens"/watt.

You might be thinking, "but I heard LED light bulbs only use a couple of watts! 3-5watts!" well, you're right, but you need to compare apples to apples. LED light bulbs are typically much dimmer than a fluorescent light-bulbs which on the low end also use only 7-9 watts.

As I have said before they are also not suitable for replacement of typical incandescent or CFL light bulbs as LED light bulbs have their light directed in only one direction often with a small viewing angle.
They're technology is getting better though, so maybe in 5-10 years we'll be replacing all our CFL light bulbs with LED light bulbs.

See you guys in 10 years :lol:

I bought some LED GU10 lights (pot light bulb replacements) and I'm 110% satisfied with them, other than the price. They're 4 watt, and have the equivalent light to a 35 watt standard bulb. Considering these fixtures only took 50 watt bulbs to start with, the reduction in light isn't noticeable, but the amount of power used is!

Yes, they're more expensive, and yes, they do take almost as much as CFLs, but that's no reason not to let the coupons work on them, IMHO. They are still very good at saving power. Oh well...