None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14577 posts
5802 upvotes

Ontario free pharmacare for people under age 25

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/b ... -1.4086229

What I don't understand is, why didn't they go with what the NDP proposed? Under the NDP plan, *everyone* would have been covered, albeit for less types of medication, however at least everyone would be covered and the most critical medications would be free for everyone. Plus the NDP plan costs almost exactly the same as the Liberal proposal. It kind of reminds me of how Trump wanted to repeal Obamacare and replace it with "Trumpcare" whereby less people would be covered, for a similar overall cost to the taxpayers. Now we see the Ontario Liberals effectively doing the same thing.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
92 replies
Penalty Box
Jan 17, 2012
4329 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
By giving it to people under 25 they are giving it to people who, for the most part, pay no taxes who therefore do not have to pay for it. It's all upside for those under 25 and its nothing but a vote buy.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2100 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Overall people 25 and under use very little medication compared to people over that age group. The big boon will be to seriously ill young people with chronic diseases who will now have their medication covered.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1573 posts
289 upvotes
Ontario
What a joke. Why not free dental for under 18 if they wanna throw money away.
Mar 4, 2010
618 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga
And this is how you buy votes
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2463 posts
177 upvotes
Markham
Hydro "rebates".
Under 25 free medications.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Is there an erection coming?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15945 posts
2179 upvotes
Toronto
People under 25 are covered by their college & university health plans for the most part, and some may still be covered under their parents' insurance as well. This plan is a complete joke.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7938 posts
1280 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I can see under 18 being covered. In situations where there is no health plan available (which can be the case for many families), a child has no say whatsoever about whether or not they will get the prescribed medication they need. Once you are older, you can decide for yourself if you want to forgo medication because you don't want to pay for it.

Older than 18, you are either in school and covered by a school plan, or you are working and able to decide for yourself if you think your health is important.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6265 posts
1416 upvotes
I prefer the NDP plan, basic coverage for all. I know we all want to ensure that children have their health taken care of, but I don't see why adults, especially parents, aren't a concern as well. A sick parent will still affect the well-being of a family, and also, the rest of society.
- Also, I'm partly bitter because I'm of the age group that is now sandwiched, having to support healthcare for the older generation above me, but also didn't get the benefits that will be given to those younger than I am. Yet I am in my prime working age so I am essentially paying for both and getting the least benefits.

From a healthcare provider point of view, though, I will admit the Liberal plan is simpler. We just basically add the same coverage for the ODB formulary list of medications (the one for seniors and those on social support) to include the under-25 crowd.

For those 18-24 who may be in school and covered by a school plan, the Liberal plan would give them the choice to opt-out (~$120/year?) since they would now have a pretty comprehensive provincial plan instead. Seems kind of strange and pointless, except to give a little extra hand to those just starting out in their careers.

Total vote-grab.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9988 posts
948 upvotes
dec12 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 9:11 am
Hydro "rebates".

i'm getting hard from just thinking about kicking Wynne to the curb.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5329 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
What basis did they use to make it 25 instead of 18 or 30???
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21375 posts
2237 upvotes
greg123 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 4:16 pm
What basis did they use to make it 25 instead of 18 or 30???
I agree

This is a vote buy
Last edited by george__ on Apr 28th, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29205 posts
2171 upvotes
Winnipeg
dec12 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 9:11 am
Hydro "rebates".

if it last longer than few hours, you should see a doctor, free for everyone
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1348 posts
311 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
george__ wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 4:22 pm
This is a vote buy
Strange play, as voter turnout for those 25 and under is pretty low.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8572 posts
321 upvotes
People are losing their minds because the province is doing a good thing. ANYTHING THAT BOLSTERS OUR HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IS A GOOD THING FOLKS.

Conservatives are terrible. No sense of shame left.

Liberals are getting critized for providing more care. This is just sick.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎