Ontario free pharmacare for people under age 25

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 3:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10730 posts
3952 upvotes
How much of our hydro system did the Liberals sell off? Perhaps they could have kept that intact instead of all this lavish spending.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
289 upvotes
Midland
It's not free. Someone has to pay for it.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1341 posts
440 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I hope this doesn't apply to people with their own insurance coverage already...many kids are already covered under one of their parents drug plans
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
199 upvotes
gordholio wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 7:45 pm
It's not free. Someone has to pay for it.
True. And look what Walkom: Star suggest?
Why Ontario seniors should have the same no-user-fee drug plan as youth: Walkom
Why? Why the youngsters who dont use much of this pay for people who use everyday and don't contribute tax dollars, or rarely contribute? When is pay with Tax dollars attitude gonna change?
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7255 posts
1015 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
sandeeS wrote:
May 1st, 2017 1:16 pm
True. And look what Walkom: Star suggest?

Why? Why the youngsters who dont use much of this pay for people who use everyday and don't contribute tax dollars, or rarely contribute? When is pay with Tax dollars attitude gonna change?
Pretty sure the seniors have paid their taxes.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
199 upvotes
don242 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 1:26 pm
Pretty sure the seniors have paid their taxes.
Paid taxes for No user fee plan? They paid taxes to some part pay or whatever the word they use. Now it will be free or Toronto Star wants it free.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7255 posts
1015 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
sandeeS wrote:
May 1st, 2017 1:28 pm
Paid taxes for No user fee plan? They paid taxes to some part pay or whatever the word they use. Now it will be free or Toronto Star wants it free.
Guarantee most seniors have paid more taxes than any young person over their lifetime so far. So yes, they have paid their share.

Just like they were paying for your schooling before you ever even paid a cent in taxes. If you only want services once you are paying taxes, your life would be pretty short. You've been using tax dollars from the moment you were born.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
199 upvotes
don242 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 1:34 pm
Guarantee most seniors have paid more taxes than any young person over their lifetime so far. So yes, they have paid their share.

Just like they were paying for your schooling before you ever even paid a cent in taxes. If you only want services once you are paying taxes, your life would be pretty short. You've been using tax dollars from the moment you were born.
You are forgetting things were much better before and cheap and many things were included. Now the waste is more and things are less and you are still paying taxes.
So No I don't agree with your statement entirely. We have people here on RFD that more taxes are better and More Free things the life is better.
No Its not true. Someone pays for it. There are more old people in Canada but its not job of young ones to pay for their Free care. By the way I not at all young.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7255 posts
1015 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
sandeeS wrote:
May 1st, 2017 1:40 pm
You are forgetting things were much better before and cheap and many things were included. Now the waste is more and things are less and you are still paying taxes.
So No I don't agree with your statement entirely. We have people here on RFD that more taxes are better and More Free things the life is better.
No Its not true. Someone pays for it. There are more old people in Canada but its not job of young ones to pay for their Free care. By the way I not at all young.
The point is, they paid there taxes. And they were supporting the elderly in their working years with their tax money. Now it is our turn. And when I am old, it will be my kid's turn.

So whose job is it to support the elderly? Whose job was it to support the youth and educate them? Society means that we support the young and then the young support us. That is how it has always been. To me it makes perfect sense. Why would we throw the children out onto the streets the moment they are born? They are the future. Why would we throw the elderly out the moment they stop paying taxes? They are the experience and the wisdom.

If your complaint is with government inefficiency, that is a different topic. Do I think we need to pay more taxes and give out more handouts? Hardly. I don't need to be paying any more taxes than I already do. There is a limit. Do I think taxes are a necessary part of a healthy society? Yes, I do. There needs to be a balance, and making sure our youth and are elderly are taken care of, is part of that balance.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6162 posts
233 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 8:17 am
I hope this doesn't apply to people with their own insurance coverage already...many kids are already covered under one of their parents drug plans
Usually it costs extra to add dependents to your health care plan. I imagine health plans will roll out options for removing drug coverage for dependents who are 25 and younger. What reason would you have for denying coverage to people on family plans? They'd be able to save money in the long run if they opt for the Ontario drug plan.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/b ... -1.4086229
Under the plan, neither children nor young adults would have to go through their or their parent's private insurer for coverage first. And because the provincial program would be free, patients wouldn't be on the hook for co-payment or dispensary fees, unlike with private coverage.

When asked why the "OHIP+: Children and Youth Pharmacare" plan would apply to those who already have coverage, Finance Minister Charles Sousa said the province wanted people to have equal access to medication.

"Even with those who have plans, they still have co-pays and deductibles and that's a significant expense on them," he said. "You want an income test and we're not doing that."

He also noted that the changing nature of work has seen people working contract jobs, something that has created a drop in the number of people who earn employee health benefits.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
I think it is going to be an administrative nightmare. Also, I can just imagine the potential for fraud.

My husband and I are seniors.

My husband has two basic prescriptions for his eyes - he has to pay the annual $100 deductible - thankfully it is not $200.

I take 2 prescriptions - neither is covered under the ODB. I have not yet had to pay the $100 but have had to pay for the medications.

Also the ODB forces seniors to take the generic form of medication if it exists. Unfortunately many seniors are allergic to one or more of the the non-medicinal ingredients in the generic form of the medication, so they have to pay the difference. A doctor's note does not generally help. I am one of those people allergic to many of the non-medicinal ingredients. I guess it is a good thing that our drug needs are minimal (I am aware that we are fortunate in this regard.)

Drugs that are covered for seniors continued to be added or removed. Or seniors must pay a portion of the cost of the prescribed drug.

Also, the purpose of the drug prescribed is also a factor as strange as it seems. I had a one-off but it was not covered.

I have another prescription that was written in the late fall but the meds are on the shortage list and will not be available until perhaps May - if then since they were supposed to be available in early March. By the time the medication is available, depending on the cost of it, I would probably be better off just paying for it since the annual $100 is due in Aug. No point paying twice.

We have paid our taxes and continue to do so. We also considered 13% to be a "good" rate on a mortgage - and always lived in a house we could afford - not in a McMansion.

If the biggest home a person can afford is a one bedroom condo, then so be it. I do understand the issue with the housing in Toronto, but I also understand that the young people of today do not want to raise 5 kids in a small bungalow as many of our parents did.

I agree with the poster who suggested that it would be preferable to close the tax loopholes that are available to the super rich (and I mean the seriously well-to-do people who earn in the millions of $).

I also think that Kathleen Wynne did this in the hopes of reversing the fortunes of the Liberal Party.

Neither of us voted for Ms. Wynne. Unfortunately we do not care for Patrick Brown - I still can't believe that the female front runner lost out to him. However, we will not waste our votes.

Mr. Brown needs to take speech lessons - he speaks too quickly and gets rattled. Not that it would change who he is, but it would help with his image.

I think that the budget booklet could have had fewer graphs etc. and a lot more details.

A balanced budget - really? How about the deficit?
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1341 posts
440 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
hugh_da_man wrote:
May 1st, 2017 2:36 pm
Usually it costs extra to add dependents to your health care plan. I imagine health plans will roll out options for removing drug coverage for dependents who are 25 and younger. What reason would you have for denying coverage to people on family plans? They'd be able to save money in the long run if they opt for the Ontario drug plan.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/b ... -1.4086229
Not denying... but have kids go through benefits of their parents first before drug plan from province. No different than how coordination of benefits work now for kids or people with plans from their work and spouse

Reason is simple...why should province pay for the benefit costs of companies...that's corporate welfare for no reason
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
6162 posts
233 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
May 1st, 2017 6:21 pm
Not denying... but have kids go through benefits of their parents first before drug plan from province. No different than how coordination of benefits work now for kids or people with plans from their work and spouse

Reason is simple...why should province pay for the benefit costs of companies...that's corporate welfare for no reason
There are added costs to health plans through employers and people will save money using this plan.

It's not corporate welfare anymore than our universal health care is corporate welfare. The reason for everyone having access is similar to why I don't have the option to obtain private health care in most places in Canada. You create a better universal system by having everyone in it. If some people are able to have a private plan that covers more then you create a two-tiered system that benefits the rich. I think their goal will be to do away with coverage for children and young adults on their parents' plan.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3398 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
apnayloags wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 3:37 pm
free pharmacare should be for everyone........not just for under 25 or for seniors, extend it to all ontarians (those eligible for ohip)

National Pharmacare makes sense. Read this report from the Citizens Reference Panel on Pharmacare in Canada.

http://www.crppc-gccamp.ca/
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
27796 posts
6668 upvotes
GTHA
Over 220,000 Young People in Ontario Already Benefitting from OHIP+
More Than 4 Million Children and Youth Now Have Access to Over 4,400 Prescription Drugs for Free
https://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/2018/ ... -ohip.html

New OHIP+ causing delays in access to prescriptions for some young Ontarians
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/01/12/n ... ontarians/

Youth pharmacare program causing delays
One pharmacist tells CityNews that because only certain drugs are covered under the new program, it’s creating delays for patients while the pharmacies sort out who is paying.

Anyone facing this issue?