• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2018 10:26 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 17, 2013
26 posts
1 upvote
Cambridge
I ended up calling the number on my email, got re-directed to another number. Couldn't make an appointment cause no installers in the area at the moment. N4B postal code.

Edit: The best he said they could do was call me when someone is in the area. Im about 45 min from kitchener.
Jan 8, 2018
2 posts
Kitchener
Got my ecobee installed this morning :) Took slightly longer as they needed to put in the power module in as well.

So the program is now closed for new signups? Could it be reopening at some point? Asking for an interested colleague.
Apr 5, 2009
398 posts
66 upvotes
FYI, in Etobicoke, M9A postal code. Got an email back on December 13th saying someone would contact me. Never did. Called 1-888-728-9887. Asked for Submission ID and I said, 'huh?'. They ("EcoFitt" contractors working for GreenON) couldn't find me in database. Gave me number for other contractor, "Clearesult" at 1-888-618-4611. Called them, asked for my phone number I submitted. Found me in two seconds. Said they could come as early as tomorrow. Decided to take a weekend appointment instead. Will see how it goes.

Cheers
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11220 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto
If there's no 5-wire cable, it seems reasonable to drop it in oneself, right? The distance from the thermostat to the the furnace is minor, and the basement has a drop ceiling so the wire could be pulled a few metres along the basement ceiling pretty easily, I figure. Since I was quoted $150 which seems pretty high... And hardware stores sell exactly the cable we need. Have others done this DIY?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3434 posts
454 upvotes
Anteros wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 11:51 am
Thanks for the number. I'm from Kanata (K2W) and I just called. They said they're not installing in my area yet but will be in the next few weeks.
Kanata was the first part they did for Ottawa, guess they've moved on and will come back later
Apr 23, 2014
742 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 3:11 pm
I'm going to say no, that they're willing to install the tstat near the furnace in the basement.
It's not going to be in an optimal location (likely unfinished part of the basement) ,
Fast forward 4 months- and you were totally right.

While scheduling the install- I requested the person to pass on my unique situation (wireless Honeywell thermostat communicating via redlink through Equipment interface module with the HVAC. Also I have only 2 wires in the thermostat plate) to the installer so that he knew what he was going to encounter.

The installer came today- and he was not briefed about my scenario. He straightaway said he won't be able to do the install. He asked me to pull 5 wires and reschedule the install.

He also refused to install the Ecobee at the furnace area- since he said that is not the optimal location. I tried telling him that I would be buying remote sensors to help with that, but he still said he won't do it since he didn't think that was correct. I didn't argue with him because obviously he knows better than me, and I just want a solution.

I guess my only option is to either try and pull wires on my own, or pay a HVAC technician to do it. Wanted to check with you-

I googled and saw a few videos on youtube were people successfully connected their Nest Thermostat using just 2 wires. Would that work in my case.

If not- I also plan to call Greenon tomorrow to see if they could do something to help me out.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17034 posts
5349 upvotes
Ottawa
wolfpack27616 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 6:52 pm
Fast forward 4 months- and you were totally right.

While scheduling the install- I requested the person to pass on my unique situation (wireless Honeywell thermostat communicating via redlink through Equipment interface module with the HVAC. Also I have only 2 wires in the thermostat plate) to the installer so that he knew what he was going to encounter.

The installer came today- and he was not briefed about my scenario. He straightaway said he won't be able to do the install. He asked me to pull 5 wires and reschedule the install.

He also refused to install the Ecobee at the furnace area- since he said that is not the optimal location. I tried telling him that I would be buying remote sensors to help with that, but he still said he won't do it since he didn't think that was correct. I didn't argue with him because obviously he knows better than me, and I just want a solution.

I guess my only option is to either try and pull wires on my own, or pay a HVAC technician to do it. Wanted to check with you-

I googled and saw a few videos on youtube were people successfully connected their Nest Thermostat using just 2 wires. Would that work in my case.

If not- I also plan to call Greenon tomorrow to see if they could do something to help me out.
So close...
What's does your furnace main board look like?
Does it have all terminals for a 5 wire setup?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17034 posts
5349 upvotes
Ottawa
HowEver wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 6:17 pm
If there's no 5-wire cable, it seems reasonable to drop it in oneself, right? The distance from the thermostat to the the furnace is minor, and the basement has a drop ceiling so the wire could be pulled a few metres along the basement ceiling pretty easily, I figure. Since I was quoted $150 which seems pretty high... And hardware stores sell exactly the cable we need. Have others done this DIY?
Thermostat wires are just 18AWG and can be bought as 18/5 (5 conductors) to have a C wire for 24v constant.

https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Cable-553 ... vp865o2z_e
Mar 7, 2011
84 posts
25 upvotes
Moronto
HowEver wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 6:17 pm
If you are in or near the east end, someone suggested The Wiring Mart on Bertrand Ave. They sell the 18/5 cable by the foot or by the metre. Another source is Home Depot. I think the HD online price is lower than the in-store price.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2003
4686 posts
5289 upvotes
smoraes wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 4:16 pm
that peaksaver honeywell is the worst garbage i have ever seen unless you set it and forget it for life :) i am very happy to get rid of that junk...the previous manual gold colour honeywell with slide lever much better and easier even though it was probably off by couple degrees but always worked for heat and ac
What's wrong with it? Care to elaborate?
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Dec 28, 2004
803 posts
181 upvotes
touch sensor doesn't work intuitively unlike the slider that always worked and for a thermostat i don't want to go thru a whole bunch of hoops just to increase or decrease heat or cooling which is what a basic thermostat is for and that peaksaver garbage was so convoluted in favour of the gov so the harder it is the more you leave it alone set to their set temperatures :) maybe i never learned it from the start like my mother but i am a techy and it was garbage so i think ecobee from browser or app will be much easier in theory till i get installed next week and i am an old guy resisting urge to always wear reading glasses which that peaksaver needed from my point of view atleast for last 2 years so i am getting more biased toward small print and hardcopy print/flyers that are getting more low definition instead of high def newsprint like video/online :)
Jun 24, 2016
53 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone from Oshawa gets it done?.

I am getting "no contractors in my area" message when I was trying to schedule one. Any help how to call them and schedule one (i need to update my mobile number also) in L1L postal code

I did call this number "1-888-618-4611" they can't find me in their system at all. They didn't ask my submission Id though, all they were asking my old phone number, name and address and can't find in their system.
Apr 11, 2007
261 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
They came to install yesterday. After looking at the furnace they said that because it is a modulating furnace it will not benefit from this thermostat and will just interfere with its operation.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
5838 posts
733 upvotes
Just had my Ecobee installed in Kitchener. Installer was on his own and said that I was his first in Kitchener (he’s from Kitchener) but that he had done some in Mississauga.

I already had the 5 wires but he replaced the old Peaksaver module in my furnace with the new Ecobee module. After the install I answered the survey questions. He didn’t take a look in the attic and was in and out of the house within 45 mins. Overall a very positive experience.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Apr 29, 2007
269 posts
58 upvotes
If anyone in the Caledon (L7E) area has signed up, give them a call for an appointment. Availability seems to be pretty wide open (via phone), but when trying to submit online, I received the "our installers are not currently in your neighbourhood" message.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)