• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2018 9:35 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 27, 2011
90 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Got the ecobee installed in Mississauga yesterday. Just wondering if any of you have encountered an issue with the ecobee where it reboots randomly and intermittently. Also when I woke up today there was basically no heat and a cold house, even though I put a temperature hold. Overall the installation guy was very nice but I'm not sure if he installed all the wiring correctly or if perhaps my furnace is not compatible with the ecobee. I am using the PEK becauseno c wire. Will be calling the installer tomorrow to come check it out tomorrow. If it can't be fixed will be switching back to oldschool Honeywell which always worked.
Sep 2, 2011
103 posts
16 upvotes
KANATA
Sorry guys, I am sure the answer is already in here somewhere, but I looked through some pages and have given up and will ask lol...

Which Thermostat option is the best? All of my friends recommend the NEST (though I am sure the other, more expensive model), but I see on here everyone seems to be getting the EcoBee installed! I have just started doing some research! I'd like to pick one before I fill out the survey for install. (Unless they let me change when they come to install!)

Thanks! :)
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10274 posts
2512 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
goaliegirl6060 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:12 pm
Sorry guys, I am sure the answer is already in here somewhere, but I looked through some pages and have given up and will ask lol...

Which Thermostat option is the best? All of my friends recommend the NEST (though I am sure the other, more expensive model), but I see on here everyone seems to be getting the EcoBee installed! I have just started doing some research! I'd like to pick one before I fill out the survey for install. (Unless they let me change when they come to install!)

Thanks! :)
Completely subjective decision and completely up to you. They are all pretty good units. Some like the look of the Nest better, others want to avoid Google having even more insight into their homes and lives, some like that ecobee is Canadian, some trust Honeywell for their HVAC, some are invested in HomeKit so Nest isn't an option, some are all in one google so the Nest makes sense, some just roll the dice.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Sep 2, 2011
103 posts
16 upvotes
KANATA
ceredon wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:28 pm
Completely subjective decision and completely up to you. They are all pretty good units. Some like the look of the Nest better, others want to avoid Google having even more insight into their homes and lives, some like that ecobee is Canadian, some trust Honeywell for their HVAC, some are invested in HomeKit so Nest isn't an option, some are all in one google so the Nest makes sense, some just roll the dice.
Hahah thanks!
I like the weather option on the ecobee I guess....does it have the geosensor for when you are home? I heard that is one of the drawbacks is no occupancy sensor like the nest?
I don't have any fancy siri/alexa/etc and not sure I plan on getting one! Also, not an apple user.
I do shift work 12 hr patterns 2 weeks days 2 weeks nights, with an abundance of overtime, so I am not sure if the Nest would be able to learn my schedule - I'd really just like the ability to change and look at the house temp while away on my phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8506 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
goaliegirl6060 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:25 pm
Hahah thanks!
I like the weather option on the ecobee I guess....does it have the geosensor for when you are home? I heard that is one of the drawbacks is no occupancy sensor like the nest?
I don't have any fancy siri/alexa/etc and not sure I plan on getting one! Also, not an apple user.
I do shift work 12 hr patterns 2 weeks days 2 weeks nights, with an abundance of overtime, so I am not sure if the Nest would be able to learn my schedule - I'd really just like the ability to change and look at the house temp while away on my phone.
I'm going with echobee one, because it has weather.

The nest is E-Series, meaning its a cut down version to the $399 one sold at bestbuy.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30625 posts
7550 upvotes
GTHA
akito925 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:43 pm
I'm going with echobee one, because it has weather.

The nest is E-Series, meaning its a cut down version to the $399 one sold at bestbuy.
Fyi, $296.98
Sep 4, 2006
772 posts
50 upvotes
Es, it does have the geofence option n the app. Tried t for the first time yesterday. Not sure if it worked or not b ut hoping it works as i am nt able to check the away mode whn im outside as i dont have data
goaliegirl6060 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:25 pm
Hahah thanks!
http:// mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/127130.png
http:// badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/131105.png
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
5938 posts
792 upvotes
deeranger wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 8:45 pm
Just wondering if any of you have encountered an issue with the ecobee where it reboots randomly and intermittently. Also when I woke up today there was basically no heat and a cold house, even though I put a temperature hold.
I just had my Ecobee installed yesterday too and later in the evening I happened to glance at it and noticed a message box on the display. I got up to see what it said but didn't catch it before it rebooted itself. Thinking now, it could have been an automatic firmware update as it's a "fresh out the box" Ecobee.

On your other note, I haven't had any problems so far with the heat not coming on. Have you checked your "sleep" settings to see if it's dropping the temperature?
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
153 upvotes
Mississauga
KWC region here

I got my Ecobee installed last Friday. Had 4 wires and the guy had to work around it.

He's from the Caledon area and has been all over the place. I believe it was already 6pm when he came at my door and had another appointment.

Quite happy and I also connected it to my SmartThings hub.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
4999 posts
279 upvotes
Ottawa
I got my email for installation appointment. I believe if I submit the form online, a rep would contact me to schedule the installation, but I signed up early for my new build. It's only finishing in April. Anyone know if you're forced to get it installed soon or should I just click the link in a few months? I don't want to lose out!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2533 posts
1047 upvotes
Waterloo
I got the Ecobee3 lite installed and I’m wondering if anyone else is having the same problems as me. The issue is regarding the standby mode. You can set what screen brightness you want when it enters standby mode (I have it set at level 1) and also how many seconds of inactivity it takes for it to start standby (I have it set for 10 seconds). This works initially where after 10 seconds the screen brightness goes from level 10 to level 1. However, if I touch the ecobee unit and select anything (such as going into settings or changing the temp) then it won’t go to standby mode anymore UNLESS I cover that little redlight sensor with my fingers. It’s very weird. I would then take the unit off and put it back on for it to restart and again it works just fine…I won’t stand near it for 10 seconds and it’ll go into standby, then I’ll wave my hand in front of it so it senses me and takes it out of standby just as it should. And I can repeat this 100 times and it’ll work…but once I touch the unit and click something it won’t go into standby anymore unless I cover that red light sensor.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
Nov 29, 2013
149 posts
68 upvotes
GTA
Do the installers usually call you a day before the scheduled install or on the day of the install? I remember the CS rep say something about the installers calling a day before while I was booking the appointment but would like some verification.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
5938 posts
792 upvotes
DenNinja wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:27 pm
Do the installers usually call you a day before the scheduled install or on the day of the install? I remember the CS rep say something about the installers calling a day before while I was booking the appointment but would like some verification.
I received a call the evening before my install date to set a time for installation.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Nov 29, 2013
149 posts
68 upvotes
GTA
mark_in_2k wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:32 pm
I received a call the evening before my install date to set a time for installation.
Thanks! I will be waiting for my call today then!
Jan 17, 2008
33 posts
14 upvotes
Kitchener
Trying to decide between the ecobee and the nest. I think having integrated smoke detectors on the Nest would be more beneficial for me than ecobee sensors. Has anyone also installed smoke detectors with their Nest?